Thursday, September 29, 2011

The end of the journey and a good luck to all P6s

My girl ended her English tuition this week. A sigh of relief for me but surprisingly she has a hint of sadness. Already she is asking me to sign her up for another. I told her that we will do so by year end or next year.

This little one is strange? Most kids dislike having tuition don't they?

After a year with this agency, my girl is still as lost as before. She has difficulty doing her comprehension as well as composition. I actually added another course of creative writing - composition for her in July with another agency. Now at least, she is happily coming to tell me that she passed.

I seriously have no complaints waiting for her outside the tuition centre if it delivers result and boost up my little one's confidence in handling the subject. Unfortunately, this one doesn’t work for her.

She used to do badly for Maths. Ever since I started her on tuition, her confidence level in dealing with the subject improved. She no longer feels afraid to attempt questions.

Most importantly, I love to see her joy on her face each time she announced that she done well or passed on her topical tests. That matters the most to us. Of course if she gets an A, it will be a bonus but for now, a pass is already a big achievement.

The next following two weeks will be on our own. I am going to see how much help I can render to her to at least help her through to this exam.

I don’t recall it was so tough coaching my son on these subjects 5 years ago. Things have definitely becoming more challenging and though kids these days are smarter than us but with a gap of 5 years, does one’s intelligence advances that greatly?

Anyway, these two days, my girl is requesting for packed food for her recess as they are not allowed to loiter in the canteen due to the P6 having their PSLE.

So I am making for her the magical rolls that I spotted in Happy Home Baking. This no knead cinnamon roll originated from Pioneer Woman. Ree gave a comprehensive step by step instruction. (Please hop over to hers to check it out).

I did chill it as I needed to bring my girl for her class. I only started rolling it out after I got home. When I told my hubby I am making No Knead Cinnamon Rolls, he immediately requested for pecans. My family love this nuts and I always try to have a pack ready.

Photobucket

So Cinnamon Rolls with Pecan it shall be, and what better way to do it with no kneading. It was really easy to assemble. Just be sure to flour the surface and your hands. While the second proofing is in process, I went on to take my dinner and got the tray into the oven after I am done with my meal.

The smell is of course heavenly, I couldn’t wait for it to be out of the oven.

Hot, fluffy and yummy!

Next round I will double the cinnamon sugar as we like it a little more wet and a little sweet since I didn't have any frosting on it.

In the meantime, if you are a cinnamon roll fan, you just got to try this one. I am not kidding it is really easy and yummy.

Verdict: It is still soft the next day.

Source: Pioneer Woman

What you need:

Dough:


1 cup milk
50g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp Instant yeast
250g (2 cups) + 30g (1/4 cup) plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt

Fillings:

1 tbsp cinnamon powder (I will increase it to 2.5)
50g brown sugar (I will increase it to 150g)
50g unsalted butter (melted)

Method:

Mix milk, sugar and vegetable oil in a pan. Scald (heat until just before boiling) the mixture. Leave to cool for 45mins ~ 1 hour.

Place 250g plain flour and instant yeast in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the above mixture. Stir with a spatula until the mixture comes together to form a thick batter. (If using Active Dry Yeast, sprinkle the yeast into the mixture and let it sit for a minute before adding it to the plain flour.) Cover and let the batter sit for at least 1 hour.

Add in the remaining 30g flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until the mixture comes together.

Either go ahead to make the rolls or cover and leave to chill in fridge over night or until needed. If left to chill, check the dough and punch it down by folding with a spatula if the dough rises almost to the rim of the mixing bowl. (Note: dough will be more firm and easier to work with if left to chill in fridge).

When ready to make the rolls, mix ground cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Dust the work surface freely with flour. Dust the top and bottom of dough with flour.

Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape. Then roll out as thin as possible. Dust the dough and work surface with flour when necessary.

Brush the rolled out dough with melted butter. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the surface.
Start from the opposite end of the dough, roll the dough neatly in a line towards you. Roll as tightly as possible. Dust fingers with flour if the dough feels sticky. Pinch the seams to seal.

Cut into 1 inch thick slices and arrange on baking pan lined with parchment paper (or greased with butter). Place the rolls close together so that they are almost touching.

Cover and leave to rise for 30mins (1 hour if dough was left to chill over night) or until the rolls double in size. (Note: the rolls can be left to chill in the fridge over night and bake them the next morning. If rolls have doubled in size, bake them right away. Otherwise leave to sit on counter until double in size before baking.)

Bake in preheated oven at 180 ºC for 20mins until golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. Your cinnamon roll really tempting me to try this on, saw HHB did this too. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cinnamon rolls, and I'm now drooling over the picture! Thanks for the recipe, will try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that recipe is real good. I tried it after read HHB's blog. It's truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are fast! I also plan to make these magical rolls, wish me good luck ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cinnamon buns look soooo good! Made with pecans made it more high class! LOL. Thanks for the good luck, I needed that too! Hehee....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi girls, I am going to make this again. My family wants it sweeter so next round I am either increasing the cinnamon sugar or frost it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, I'm quite confused with the term tuition. Is this like an after school program type of thing where they teach you?

    In the other hand, the cinnamon rolls is to die for (I should have been more creative saying that)! My goodness! IT looks soooo delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I usually check out Pioneer woman but I must have missed this one. Thanks a lot, Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rylan for dropping by.

    Yes you are right. This is an optional after school program that the kids can go to, to reinforce what they do not comprehend what ever subject they learnt in school. It is also another exposure to different teaching method.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesOctober 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM

    A good choice when I am running out of time to knead. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen so many bloggers try out this recipe and all turn out well include yours. I must try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw these on HHB blog and was tempted to try. Love these, especially it requires no kneading. Will be trying, once my energy level increase lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin