Wednesday, September 21, 2011

dual colours

I promised my classmates that I will bake something for class tomorrow. Initially I wanted to bake a chocolate cake but I was way too lazy to frost it. Also it might be too messy to serve as I witnessed last week, the table space just wasn’t enough to create movement.

Upon seeing In Love with Durian’s American vanilla cupcake which she strongly recommended, I decided to try it.

The cuppies rose beautifully and it was really easy to put together. I really love the texture.

I just need to fine tune the batter to have that flat pretty top as hers.

After A's advice, I decided to so a simple Lemon Curd Butter Cream for the vanilla cupcake.

Photobucket

Baking one batch of cuppies is not enough for my class of 35. So I baked a second batch. This time I chose Chocolate Cupcake from Roger Pizey's book.

Unfortunately, the instruction was not clear as one component of the ingredients just don't make sense. How can we add melted chocolate to water? It will seize!

So I actually replace the water with whipping cream. The cakes didn’t rise as pretty as my vanilla cupcakes and because I didn’t know how much to fill, it actually over flowed. Taste wise, thanks to the good quality chocolate, it did compensate for the looks.

Photobucket

Now let’s hope my classmates don’t mind being my guinea pigs.

Oh, btw any idea how can one get in contact with book author to seek clarification on the recipe? Hope someone can share.

American Vanilla Cupcake
Make 13 standard size

What you need:

110g cake flour
80g plain flour
1 level tbsp of baking powder
175g castor sugar
½ level teaspoon of salt
115g butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs (about 65gm each weight with shell)
100g full cream milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat oven to 170ºC normal oven or 160ºC fan oven.

Line cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.

Sift flours and baking powder. Add sugar and salt. Whisk to blend.

Whisk full cream milk, eggs and vanilla extract into a bowl or measuring jug.

Add butter to the flour mixture and mix on lowest speed until mixture resembles bread crumbs consistency. Stop the mixer.
Note: this whisking process will take less then a minute only!

Pour in milk mixture and whisk on lowest speed until just combined.

Increase the mixer speed to 2 and continue to whisk until smooth and slightly fluffy (less then a minute).

Remember to scrape the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure that everything is mixed thoroughly.

Careful not to over whisk the batter!

Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 1/2 full.

Bake at preheated oven for about 25- 27 minutes or untill the surface just slightly brown and cooked.

Transfer cupcake pan to a wire rack and let it sit for 1 minute. Carefully remove cupcake from its pan and cool on wire rack.

Once cupcakes have cooled, frost tops of each cupcake with your favorite frosting.

Serve at room temperature.

******

Chocolate Cupcake (Roger Pizey)

What you need:

90g unsalted butter, softened
220g soft brown sugar (I will reduce this to 200g next time)
2 eggs
40g ground almonds
100g self raising flour, sifted
2 tsp cocoa powder
60g 70% dark chocolate
160ml water (I used whipping cream)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 deg.

Whisk together the butter and sugar till creamy.

Add in eggs, and beat well.

Add in ground almonds, flour and cocoa powder.

Melt the chocolate over bain marie.

Add to the rest of the mixture and blend together. (now I wonder where the water comes in).

Fill the muffn case with 3/4 full batter.

Bake for 20 mins or till cooked.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I love to have these cupcakes for tea! Especially the lemon curd buttercream vanilla cupcake is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Tze, do give it a try if you are craving for vanilla cupcakes. Actually the chocolate ones also not too bad but remember to go for good quality chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cupcake liner. Yes, I totally agree to use the good quality chocolate. It indeed makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla Cupcake looking good. Thank you for trying out the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i might have come across adding chocolate to water instruction before. I think it might work if you heat the chocolate and the water together. i cant be too sure though. good luck on the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow look at that dome! This is making me hungry...for sugar haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hankerie, the souffle cups can be easily found in baking supply shops.

    AK, thanks for sharing.

    crustabakes, as I am using good chocolate, it will be a waste if it seize in the water. that is why I didn't take that chance. hahhaa... maybe i should have.

    Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets, yes the dome is nice but I was looking for a flatter one just like AK's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin