Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A sweet thought

My dear fellow bloggers, do take this as a personal invitation to join me in the Heritage Food Trail event. Pardon me as I don’t have the time to personally invite you all as I had tried but because I am not well read in the blogging world, I am sure I missed out some great cooks or bakers out there.

By now, you might have already read some of the wonderful stories from fellow bloggers who is participating in this event.

Even if you think you can’t write as well as those already posted, have no worry, for I am also in the same boat.

As long as this dish is either from your own dialect group or from your spouse's, it is fine. A dish that your granny cooked for you is even better!

I am already enjoying their write up and it is definitely opening up my world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Photobucket

JM know that I enjoyed baking and cooking. I was surprised to find a recipe posted to me in my mailbox.

The feeling inside me overwhelmed with sweetness as I was reading it. Knowing that my friend despite doing their own activities actually have me in thoughts really touched me.

I love pumpkin dishes but never venture as far as savoury. Thus this is quite exciting to incorporate into pumpkin ice cream and guess what, I love the taste but I think the texture needs some improvement or was it because I added in another egg yolk too much? Will reattempt this again and this time round, I better don't mis read the recipe.

Photobucket

So J, this is for you. Sorry, was just too lazy to prepare the honeycomb to go with it.

I love the hint of spices as well as the maple syrup in it. Shiok!

Source: Unknown

What you need:

500g butternut pumpkin (peeled and cut in 1 cm pieces). Steamed and remove flesh.
300ml milk
300ml whipping cream
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
110g castor sugar
5 egg yolks
60g maple syrup

Method

Puree the steamed pumpkin in a blender. Remove 200g. Set aside.

Heat milk, cream and spices.

Whisk egg yolks with sugar till light and fluffy.

Slowly drizzling in the hot milk mixture while the mixer is on med speed.

Return the milk mixture into the sauce pan and slowly cook till it thickens (approx 8 mins) to be able to coat a spoon.

Stain into a bowl.

Stir the maple syrup and pumpkin into the custard.

Leave to cool before transfering to chill.

Churn in an ice cream machine.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. If this is served with some cookie crumbs, it'll taste like pumpkin pie ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! I like the idea of a pumpkin pie ice cream! also recently posted on a banana icecream, but mine was much simpler, only 1-2 ingredients! must be the HOT weather that's inspiring all these ice cream recipes from everyone lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, never tasted a pumpkin pie before but I am sure it will be really good with cookie crumbs.

    Shu Han. I just done a batch of Roasted Banana Ice Cream. Have yet to find out how is the taste coz there isn't any cream at all! Will check out yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith

    What spices did you put in, could you share?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doris,

    It is ground ginger, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edith,

    Love the look of the ice-cream. Wish I could taste it now. Btw, when do you add in the maple syrup?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alannia, I have amended the recipe. Insert Maple to syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aahhh...I missed that. It shows that you really have to read the recipe a few times.

    Thanks, Edith.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin