Sunday, August 14, 2011

Heritage Food Trail - 1st Submission

Do join me on this Heritage Food Trail if you have the time. I am sure it will be an opportunity to get to know other dialect food cuisine.



Last night, I was down at the library reading a book by Dr Leslie Tay. Coincidentally it was a dish that I contributed to yesterday's blogger party and it fits perfectly for this http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2011/08/remember-heritage-food-trail-that-i.html. Thus I didn’t blog about it yesterday but only do so as an individual post. Did I cheat on this?

Anyway, I didn't know that Chwee Kueh is part of Teochew Cuisine. Chwee Kueh, in direct translation refers to water cake. Reason being that the recipe requires high water ratio to flour.

Photobucket

According to the book, the traditional one has a dimple in the centre and the fillings only consist of lard, radish and garlic.

For me, I like it with a dash of sesame seeds, a replicate from one of my favourite chwee kueh stall that no longer existed.

For the batch that I done for the party, it wasn't so smooth sailing. In fact, I threw away two batches of the batter before I succeeded to ease them out from their mould. Somehow I didn't quite like the texture, but my fellow blogger friends said otherwise. You might ask why didn’t I use the last attempt. You see, I find that texture a little too “tough” for that one.

For the ones that I served at the party, I prefer a firmer texture. Come to think about it, from my last attempt, J might have sent me a recipe but somehow I couldn’t find it. I guess it went up in smoke when my hard disk crashed the last time.

Anyway, I didn't want to give up, so today I sent time experimenting another two recipes that TM pointed me to. I wasn't satisfied as well.

So I created my own based on all those recipes that I tried. Here is my version. My helper said this was the best among the whole lab tests

Photobucket

Whatever, the combination of the cake with the fillings and not forgetting the chilli was enough to satisfy me for the time being.

I am submitting this for the Heritage Food Trail.

Note: A revised version that yield a much nicer texture. Please try the revised version.

What you need:

170g rice flour (revised: 150g)
15g wheat starch
20g corn starch (revised: 25g)
770ml water (revised: 725ml)

1 tsp salt
2 tsp oil

Method:

Greased the cups with oil.

Mix everything together till all the lumps are gone. Sieve through.

Pour into a pot and bring to a boil. Keep stirring till it become gluey.

Pour into the chwee kueh cup and steam on high heat for 15 mins.

Remove and serve with the radish fillings and chillis.

Radish Fillings

What you need:

1 big packet of radish (already diced)
1/2 cup of minced garlic
1/3 cup toasted white sesame seed
lard
sugar, salt and pepper to taste
a dash of dark soya sauce (Optional)
1/2 - 1 cup water

Method

Soaked minced radish for a few min and drain well. You can taste whether it is still saltish.

Using dry heated wok, pan fry the radish till it is dry. Remove.

Add lard and fry the garlic till fragrant. Add in the radish and sugar.

Sautee the radish till it caramelised. Add water and cook till it is soft.

Add in salt and pepper and a dash of dark soya sauce.

Once you are okay with the seasoning. Add in the toasted sesame seeds.

Mixed well.

Sambal

7 clove garlic
10 shallots
2 tomatoes
200g chilli padi
1/8 tsp red sugar
100g belachan
1 tbsp prawn paste
1 tsp salt

Method

Pound the ingredients together.

Heat wok and oil. Add in the pounded ingredients and cook till it turned dark and fragrant.

Remove to cool and store in air tight container and place in the fridge.

Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! The kuehs are so captivating!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the one which you'd mentioned which is packed with ingredients in the centre reminds me of 碗粿 which I'd had many times in Taiwan. its a very taiwanese and hence a very hokkien dish. the cantonese has a version which uses red bean filling and they call it 钵仔糕 and uses glutinous rice flour instead.

    I'd love chwee kueh since young and always thought its a hokkien dish. LOL my "staple source" now comes from either bedok central hawker centre or parkway parade hawker centre. Both have very good chai poh and t0-die-for hae bversion, i'm tempted to try as well. :)

    would you happen to have any good recipes for the chai poh and/or hae bee hiam chilli paste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome Hanushi.

    Travellingfoodies, yah i read about the HK and taiwan version too. Have yet to try that.

    As for the fillings, I had tried one with hae but I still prefer the one plain. You might want to check this out to compare.

    http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2010/09/long-time-ago.html

    For the newer attempt, the fillings I only go by taste. My helper's chilli will post soon once I get her to write it down. This one is really shiok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly speaking I don't fancy chai poh, but chwee kueh yes I like it. So it's good that you separate the chai poh at last gathering, so I put a bit chai poh with extra chilli, wouw it's really shiok! Looking forward to your chilli post soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chwee kueh very much and your last picture really makes me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DG luckily i did that. the chilli recipe just posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith,
    Last week I attended a class on Asian kueh by Valerie kong. She mentioned that for steaming kueh, whether kueh koswee or chwee kueh, must always steam the mould on high heat before pouring the batter. This ensures better texture & consistency. You might wish to try out this step.
    I was thinking of making chwee kueh for dear son but unfortunately came down with food poisoning after eating some store bought chwee kueh on Sunday. Now I have phobia of chwee kueh :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Edith,
    Totally floored by your blog. :)

    Wish I could cook as well... I fail epic-ly at sweets.

    Well done & will be dropping in to catch up on your latest recipes if you don't mind.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Xiapa.ini, thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin