Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Birthday!!!!

**************
Do join me on this Heritage Food Trail if you have the time. I am sure it will be an opportunity to get to know other dialect food cuisine.

This applies to both your own dialect or your spouse's.

Closing date: 31 August 2011


************

Today, my two babies turned 9 and 14 respectively. It seems like just yesterday they were still snuggling comfortably in my arms. They were totally dependent on me.

Looking at them now really make me missed those nappy and feeding times. Crazy isn't it but it is so true.

My 14 years old is seeking his independences now. I don't even need to send him to school anymore. When I offer to pick him up from school, he even question why. Gone are the days where there is so much hugging and kissing. Handling this teenage period caused me so much heart aches and tears. I am trying very hard not to get stressed out by him, yet sometime it is really a challenge.

Let's pray from now onwards, sensibility will hit and I don't have to worry over him as much as before.

Whereas for my 9 years old, she still cry when I leave home without her. She still yearns to sleep in our room with us even though I trained her since young to sleep on her own. Somehow, she will wonder into our room on the pretext that she had nightmares. With daddy not being around so often, she is like a little fixture in my room during bedtime. Little love notes that she left for us filled my treasure box.

Looking at her and remembering things that I never done as much as with my son, I learnt now that I must fully take advantage of this closeness. For they will become distance and it become very painful to deal with. At least during this teenage period I was told.

I can't imagine the day whereby both will leave us to seek their independence and discover the world. Let's hope our love for them will be enough to keep them returning back to this nest.

Happy Birthday my babies.

Photobucket

Thanks My sweet hut for this nice sponge. Unfortunately I can't leave a thank you note in your blog.

Source: My sweet hut

Basic Sponge Cake

What you need:

4 egg Yolks
40g caster sugar
2 tbsp milk
¼ cup (56g) Oil
½ tsp Vanilla Essence
80g Cake/ Top Flour } sifted
½ tsp Baking power }
4 egg whites
90g castor sugar (cut down to 35g)
¼ tsp cream of tartar (can omit)

Method

Mix egg yolks and sugar for 2 mins. Lighter in colour, pale yellow.

Microwave milk and oil for 20 sec and immediately stir into the egg yolk mixture (Step 1) with a hand whisk.

Add in vanilla essence and sifted flour. Stir till smooth.

In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks formed. Add in the sugar and cream of tartar, beat until stiff. Fold in 1/2 portion of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture (step 3) and mix well. Repeat the same step for the remaining egg whites. Mix well.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven at 160*C for 40 -50 mins.

Once bake, let it cool down.


Durian Cream

500g durian flesh
1 tbsp sugar
200g whipping cream
15g gelatine
3 tbsp boiling water

Method

Soak gelatine in boiling water and stir till it melts.

Whip the cream with sugar till stiff.

Fold the durian flesh.

----------

Curry Chicken (source: Nyona Kitchen - Florence Tan)

What you need:

1.5kg chicken, chopped to bite sized
3 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp meat curry powder
565g coconut
5¼ cup water
¾ cup cooking oil
3” cinnamon stick
2 springs curry leaves
2 star anise
2” ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
55g meat curry powder blended with 1/3 cup water to form a paste
4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
2¾ tsp salt

Ground into paste
6 dried chillies, soaked and deseed
22 shallots, peeled
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp crushed dried shrimp paste (you can omit)

Method

Marinate the chicken in soy sauce and curry powder for 30 mins.

Combined coconut with 1¼ cup water and squeeze out 1¼ cup thick coconut milk. Set aside.

Add remaining water to the coconut and squeeze out 4 cup of thin coconut milk. Set aside.

Heat oil and fry cinnamon stick, curry leaves and star anise. Add in ginger and finely grounded paste. Fry till fragrant.

Add in marinated chicken and fry for 4 mins on low heat.

Add in potatoes and thin coconut milk. Bring to a boil and lower the heat and simmer for 30 mins.

Add in thick coconut milk and season with salt.

Allow to boil further, approx 3 mins. Stir to prevent curdling. Remove from heat and serve with rice.



Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to both of your children!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your dear daughter & son! No matter how much they grow, I'm sure they'll always stay close to your heart. Yummy durian cake! Gonna make one for my hubby's birthday next month too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... memories of kids growing up are always so sweet and endearing. In a blink of an eye, kids grow up so quickly. Treasure all the moments of their growing up, be it sweet or bittersweet, they are moments never to occur again. Everyday happenings to us is a learning journey that we as parents experience and share with our children one day when they become parents too.
    My two-cent worth of ramblings...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you write about them.
    Happy birthday to your prince and princess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Edith,

    i am so touched by your simple words. perhaps its 同病相連

    much heart pains and frustration but it's still an enjoyable parenthood. No regret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. true true... when my gals grew up, how I missed those years when I needed to carry them everywhere.
    Now, I hope my boy don't grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your kids. Thanks for your invitation to participate your blog event-Heritage foods, I think i have run out of time, not sure i can make it or not..will try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! your two children share the same birthday!? that's amazing.... considering they are not twins. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to M and J :))

    Hug hug and big kisses

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, Happy Birthday to both your kids. Birthday is make special with a cake bake specially from mummy. I'm sure your children appreciates, It is memories like this in their growing up years that they will remembers as they grow up. Well done Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated Birthday to your kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ah Tze, yummylittlecooks, AK, Anncoo for all your birthday wishes.

    Honey Bee Sweets, have fun making the durian cake for your hubby.

    Busygran, I guess human are such. You gonna missed it when you can no longer get it. So I often have to syn myself to think about the future whereby when they leave the nest.

    Thanks Passionate About Baking.

    Mave, I guess we are the modern mom that has lesser tolerance than our mom's time. hahaha..

    wendyywy @ Table for 2, at least you can still have that with your little boy.

    Thanks Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover), hope to see you over at Heritage Food Trail.

    travellingfoodies, they were born on the same day same month but 5 years apart. That is why I always said they were God sent to us.

    Thanks Hearty Bakes, I pray so. Today, someone told me that his friend's son committed suicide coz he don't feel loved. So I hope that I am providing fond memories and not otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith, how wonderful to have your two babies born on the same day and month! How did you do that? hehe Happy birthday to your grown up kiddies! Hugs! The durian cakes looks SO SPECIAL. I bet it taste even more special to your kids. You are an amazing mum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like your daughter is quite glued to you. yeah, i always read how mothers miss their children after they have left for further studies or working in another town, they have their own plans. Guess what we can do is now love and appreciate them in every moment..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Can you advise me at what point can I put in the curry paste. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi herbakingdiary. Should be in Step 4.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin