Saturday, July 30, 2011

This is what I wanted

Last week, I bought some tapioca and wanted to make some kueh out of it but when I had the time, my pantry stock was low. I don't have the coconut milk that I needed.

Since now stock is replenished, I had better get moving, if not, another batch of food into the bin again.

I hate throwing food away especially after reading yesterday's news that people in some part of the world are starving. I still can remember so vividly the hunger child's face on that page. It really breaks my heart. Children should not have to suffer.
Photobucket

Anyway, despite not liking coconut milk but I like tapioca. With home cooked, I can even control the sweetness. When I saw this recipe, I was eager to find out the combination of a chocolate with coconut. Though the chocolate is not the real thing but rather chocolate emulco, I am still curious.

The kueh turned out really nice but it would have been better I think if it is real chocolate. hahhaa

Photobucket

I think I better grab some sleep before sending the girl to her Sunday school. Had a really long day yesterday and needed to wake up early to complete some orders.

Have a good weekend folks! The weather is just so awesome today.

Source: Popular Kuih-Muih

What you need:

350g grated tapioca
125ml thick coconut milk
1 egg
100g castor sugar
1 tbsp chocolate emulco
few drops of yellow colouring

Method

Combine tapioca, coconut milk, egg and sugar and mix thoroughly. Divide into two portions.

Add chocolate emulco in one and yellow colouring in the other. You can leave it to blank if you don't want colouring. The outcome will be brown and white.

Line a 6" tray with banana leaves, pour yellow tapioca mixture, and spread evenly. Steam for 40 mins.

Pour in the chocolate mixture over the yellow kueh and continue to steam for another 40 mins.

Cool kueh before cutting.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. I had a similiar recipe in a kuih cookbook, but it is baked rather than steamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tapioca cake looks so delicious and pretty with yellow and chocolate colours. So unique and creative. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm, this kuih is a fresh change from the bakings! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know which page and which child you saw and totally understand what you mean. That actually made me reflect on all the stuff I wasted because they were expiring :/ Nevertheless, I think u made good use of tapioca. And with chocolate! Never heard of that combination before but it sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i understand what you mean by throwing food..i try to avoid that but have to admit i've done that several times to baking ingredients, some of the thing which i overlooked and past expiry date, felt really bad. I also think this is a rare kind of cake..unique in a way..with tapioca and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin