Monday, July 18, 2011

Picking up the pieces

Photobucket

Throughout these 6 years of blogging. I lost part of my blog posts and recipes twice! Unbelievable but it happened. I tried to back up into an external hard disk but when my external hard disk also failed me, I gave up. Thus, these days, if I really like the recipe, I will print a hard copy instead. Poor trees I may say but I really wish to hand down good recipes to my next generation for them to share.

So I am trying to pick up the lost pieces by recalling some of the well loved recipes that liked by my family and myself.

One such recipe was a Steam Moist Chocolate Cake that was shared by a kind lady (known by her nickname as Dralion). She shared this recipe in a forum and soon, it received so much rave reviews that these days you can still see many attempting this recipe with positive feedback.

Photobucket

With relaxing Monday, after all, last Sunday we took our time to enjoy it and didn’t go for classes because my little one had just completed her Module 1 for Creative Writing last week. Module 2 will start end of the month. I am really delighted because driving all the way to Sembawang and hanging around for her to finish can be pretty boring and tiring. We just need to endure another 12 weeks from next month onwards, before we can once again enjoy a FULL Sunday as a family, doing things we loved.

With some Dark Lindt Chocolate hubby brought back from his last trip, I think this will be the best way to make a Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake for our tea as Monday is a special day whereby both my kids are home for lunch.

Photobucket

As usual, this cake never failed. Thanks A!

What you need:

375g butter or Corn Oil **
314g castor sugar (original 2 cups)
410g Evaporated Milk
4 Eggs,lightly beaten with a folk
286g of Plain flour ***
102g of Cocoa powder
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract or 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence

*** this recipe can be halve easily

Method:

Combine castor sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract or essence and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.

Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cool evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny).

Heat up the steamer.

Lined and greased a 9 inch baking pan or 2 9'inch sandwich pan.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and place the pans into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.

Steam over medium heat for 1 1/2 hour (45 mins for 1/2 recipe).

Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.

Chocolate topping

1 can of Condense milk
1 tsp of Vanilla extract or 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
1/2 cup Corn oil
1/3 cup Cocoa powder, sifted
1/8 tsp Salt

Method:

Combine the sifted cocoa powder, condense milk and oil.

Stir over low heat till thicken (stirring all the time).

Add in salt and vanilla extract or essence.

Cool the chocolate topping a little before spreading on the cake.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, that looks really really moist! I heart chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah, this cake really looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tigerfish, it is really very moist. All time favourite.

    Wendy, thanks.

    MnYfoodtalk. It is indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! It really looks so moist and delicious. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. would never have thought of steaming a cake.

    Looks Lovely. Buzzed (and saved !)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this steamed chocolate cake that looks so rich and good but I have yet to get down to doing it. You just reminded me ... how I wish I could have a slice now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your picture already speak it out, beautiful and tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow, the recipe that never fails you say? Goodie! Will try it, thanks Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa, try it. It is really good. At least for my family.

    Thanks Sarah-Jane for dropping by. Another alternative to baking a cake. :)

    Yummy Bakes, so I will be seeing this one on your blog soon?

    Thanks Sonia.

    Honey Bee Sweets, this one I never worrys whether can or cannot. hahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!
    (pardon the long message)
    Am the gal who popped head into your car some time back and dropped a comment on your pancake recipe that my son loves.

    Am really bad with these technology stuffs and the last time when I placed a comment, somehow the user name that I left didn't reflect what it was. Decided to stay away from it but this time I really must drop a note and try the account again. Pardon my ignorance.

    Thank you for sharing your lovely recipes and your experiences about your journey as a mum. I could feel somewhat what you feel as I have a smaller version at home. So I sure have a long way to learn.

    Two days ago, I chanced upon your steamed chocolate cake and just got down to try it. (Haven't been baking for a long time coz no time so really admire all those out there to be able to manage time so well; the thought of cleaning up after when I have been cleaning all day already; and my end product somehow don't come up good each time, that put me off the whole process altogether).

    Well, when I saw steamed cake - I thought hey maybe can try. your steamed chocolate cake picture looked so good. Am so glad that I tried it and it was really good. I didn't have time to do the topping as by that time it was already 2am. It tasted just as good. Gave my mum some and she said good. She seldom comments on my end products - must be bad. No baker's hands.

    In short, thanks again coz you have gotten my want to try baking again. Also, "You are doing great as a mum and like you always do - preserve on. Have a lot to learn from ya."

    Oh, the night when I made the steamed choc cake, my mixture overflowed horribly over stove and I got so upset. The thought of cleaning up again! Son suddenly said to me "Don't give up. Any mess, just clean up and try again." See how your sharing - be it receipes or life journeys have gotten everything somehow working towards positively for someone, like me.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. EL, really glad that you like it.

    I didn't know parenthood was that tough till I become one. I guess we have to give each other as much support and as much sharing so that we can learnt from each other and most importantly, draw strength from one another. It is a long path, there will be the highs and there will be the lows. Sometime, we struggle to stay afloat but because of family and friendship, I think we will be able to complete the journey.

    Glad that your son motivates you on. There will be moment in our life that we need to learn from them as well.

    Be positive. Do say hello to me again if you see me. I have really short term memory these days but I am sure I will recognise you by then.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin