Tuesday, July 19, 2011

more ice!!!!!!!

I love household stuff. Be it a whisk, a measuring jar, a toilet brush or latest technology of a vacuum cleaner. I simply love check them out. I guess this is my fetish as a homemaker, do you agree?

As I was talking to a friend who shared the same passion as me, she too commented that these days, no shoes, bags or clothes can entice us to go shopping. Not even the Great Singapore Sales!

Having a hubby who is supportive of me playing in the kitchen, helps with this collection as I can always provides a good reason for the purchase, without feeling guilty and I think I am rubbing something off him as he also shop for me whenever he goes overseas.

This time round, I wanted a Chiffon knife in Japan but I think I will be seeing more spatulas when he gets home. Can’t blame him for I am also clueless where to get it! (so by any chance you are from Japan, do let me know – thanks)

Besides the KA mixer, the next well utilised will be the latest gadget from hubby - the ice cream machine.

Many wrote to me on which brand that I am using. Well this is available at the new shop along Bt Timah that sells plenty of really beautiful kitchen stuff. You name it, they have it. The machine is the only ice cream machine you can find there. From my understanding, the vendor is not selling to all those big departmental stores. (Drop me an email if you want to know the brand)

Anyway, I saw some really beautiful red grapefruit over the weekend. I just adore their vibrant colour!

Photobucket

Thinking about the hot weather, I couldn't resist turning them into Grapefruit Sorbet. I tried another new recipe that actually uses corn starch.

Photobucket

Initial fear was that it will be starchy feel but surprisingly it has none. In fact, I shared some with JY and she loves it.

Isn't this the best to have on a hot day? My son whom doesn’t really enjoy grapefruit kept asking for more!

Source: Scoop by Ellen Brown

What you need:

113g sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tbs cornstarch
pinch of salt
3 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice

Method:

Bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Swirl pot to dissolve the sugar but not stirring it. Increase the heat to high and cook the syrup until the firm ball stage. The mixture should be really thick.

While syrup is cooking, combine the cornstarch and salt with 1/4 cup of cold water, stir to dissolve.

Remove the syrup from heat and stir in the corn starch mixture. Bring to heat and cook for 1 min or till mixture turns translucent and very thick.

Add grapefruit juice and whisk till smooth.

Chill in fridge.

Put into ice cream machine and churn accordingly to manafacturer's instruction.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the household stuff. Clothes and shoes don't fascinate me as much these days.

    Your sorbet is perfect for our blazing hot weather!! Lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sorbets!
    Bye and happy baking from Italy... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grapefruit sorbet looks very tempting and nice. Over here in Phoenix, the temperature hovers between 38 to 42 deg C. Very hot like oven. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your grapefruit sorbet. So cool and refreshing.

    Awesome photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NEL, actually if we chat among like minded people, they shop more in household dept than others. so cute right?


    You are welcome, Christine's Pantry.

    Thanks Elly for dropping by.

    Anonymous said...

    Theresa, wow your area is really hot!

    Yes, Sarah-Jane, it is indeed refreshing when it is warm over here. How is your summer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin