Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bless her heart

As you know I have been attending a course for the past few months. For this module, the students were from a combination of different classes of Module 1. I am glad that I still see many familiar faces that I befriended during the Module 1.

Usually we will have a short break in between that 3.5 hours lesson. When we were in Module 1, R will always bring snacks for us to eat.

I always admired her for she is multi talented. She runs a Malay wedding planner company. She does flower arrangement, designer cupcakes, decorate dias, and even has a dance troupe! On top of these, she still volunteers in under privilege homes, teaches conversational Malay in schools and is the Chairwoman for Parent Volunteer in her kids’schools!

She starts her day at 4am and will not end till nightfall. Yet she still finds time to attend this class. I marvel her energy!

Her bubbly personality lights up the class. Anyway, enough said, last week, she brought us some Bakwan. It is my first time eating it and I fell in love with it right away. Though hers was a simple ikan bilis version, it just feels so right as our morning snack to go with our tea or coffee.

Photobucket

I just couldn't shake off that memory. Coincidentally, I loaned a book from the library yesterday and guess what I found. Sometime similar to hers!

I was so happy that I couldn't wait to test it out.

Photobucket

Texture wise, it is a little different from hers as R said she uses a mixture of Self Raising Flour and Plain Flour. Of course, I wouldn't want her to tell me the recipe as she is selling it.

To be honest, this one is enough to satisfy my craving for more. I will increase the salt a little more since I didn't use any stock granules in this recipe as indicated.

Overall, I am now happy.

BTW, I am organising a Heritage Food Trial. If you are interested, do join in the fun.

Source: Delightful Snacks and Dim Sum (Agnes Chang)

What you need:

300g self raising flour, sifted
3 eggs
350ml water
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder (I will add this the next time to give it some heat)
1 tsp salt (I will add one more)
1 tsp pepper (I added this)
1 tsp chicken stock granules (I omitted it)

200g prawns, deviened and diced
1/2 carrot, shredded finely
1 big onion, chopped
100g bean sprout
2 stalks spring onion, chopped (I used green chillies instead as I don't take spring onion)

Whole prawns for decoration. (I omitted)
Oil for deep frying

Method

Batter
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Using a whisk mix it in one direction untill it is smooth and lump free.

Heat oil and ip ladle in hot oil for 1 min. (Ladle used is those shallow base)

Spoon batter into the ladle, arrange a prawn and lower it in the oil. Fry till batter able to leave the ladle and continue to fry till golden brown on both sides.

Remove and drain.

Serve hot with chilli sauce.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. I remember eating this when I was young. These delicious crispy treats are gone quickly when they are served. I like your very traditional version of Bakwan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know that this is called Bakwan. Some 油条yutiao stall sells it and they call it 菜饼caibing, is it the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to eat this, and it's a must to eat with chilli sauce ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, I am not sure how traditional is this one but nevertheless, still v nice.

    Meg, I don't actually know what is this called too till I saw it in the recipe book. Never tried caibing so I can't tell you whether same or not.

    Neyeeloh, yah you are right, it goes extremely well with chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so delicious and I missing eating it. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, almost similar to what I make except I do use a mixture of self raising and plain flour and also add in lots of corn!

    Don't do them so much now as they are deep fried and I am trying to be good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin