Saturday, June 25, 2011

Last few days

The term school holiday is nearing to the end. Surprisingly I actually can see my kids grown during this time.

To share another good news was that my little one passed her piano exam and will be doing her grade 3. I am very happy with her achievement. In fact, the result actually surprised me, for these days, she is left with very little time to practise as she is engage in tuition on most days. Prior before her exam, I found out that her scales were still not up to standard, thus I actually expected her having to redo the exam. I promised that I will get her a new piano when she passed and I know she really wanted that.
Well done baby.

To wrap up this mid year school holiday, I think it is about time I get some ME time. After all, my days have been evolving round the kids these past weeks.

With AC back from France for a break and as promised during her last trip, she lugged back bottles of Bordeaux red wines and foie gras. Perfect time for rounding up some classmates for a makan session.

It was really good as some of us haven't seen each other for last 29 years! Amazing isn't it? We had so much fun and laughter catching up on our lives. We were like a bunch of little girls all over again. Even my hubby couldn't resist a grin from eavesdropping on our conversation.

Girls, I had a blast. Thanks so much for such a wonderful evening.

Photobucket

Didn't really have time to prepare a full course dinner but instead, we had Dry Mee Siam. I have always wanted to try dry mee siam and this one which I plucked out from the internet was good. It is a healthier version as well.

Souce: The Sunday Times. Mdm Sakinah Jamin’s recipe
Serves 6 - 8

What you need:

6 eggs
350g fresh prawns, shelled and deveined
10 Tbs cooking oil
400g of firm soya beancurd, cubed
15 dried red chillies, seeded, soaked in water till soft then drained
5 fresh red chillies
6 cloves garlic
15 shallots
100g dried shrimps, rinsed, soaked in water till soft, drained and coarsely pounded
6 tbsp fermented soya beans (taucheo)
400g dried rice vermicelli, soaked in water till soft, then drained
350g bean sprouts
100g Chinese chives, cut into 2cm-long strips salt to taste
6 limes, halved

Method

Boil the eggs, then leave to cool before removing the shell and cutting into thin slices. Set aside.

Steam the prawns for 5 minutes until cooked. Set aside.

To a hot pan, add 2 Tbs of oil and stir-fry the soya beancurd cubes till golden brown. Set aside.

Blend the dried chillies, fresh chillies, garlic and shallots in an electric blender on medium speed until a coarse paste forms.

To a hot wok, add 8 tbsp of oil and fry the chilli paste for some 5 minutes until fragrant.

Add the dried shrimps and fermented soya beans and stir-fry until well incorporated.

Add the rice vermicelli, mix well and stir-fry for about 10 minutes until the vermicelli is cooked. If necessary, add 1/2 cup of water to the noodles to prevent them from drying out.

Add bean sprouts and Chinese chives, mix well and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.

Add salt to taste.

Transfer the noodles to a serving plate.

Top with steamed prawns, fried beancurd cubes, and egg.

Before eating, squeeze the limes over the noodles and toss well.

*******

Photobucket

For dessert, I prepared some ice cream choices for my guests.

I love citrus especially after seeing Batter Baker's blog post and I had all the fruits on hand, I decided to churn some Citrus Sorbet. Just love how refreshing it taste especially after all those for foie gras that we ate.

Photobucket

Next was Lemon Ice Cream. Oh gosh, I love this one so much. I paired it with Lemon Caramel Sauce and believe me, the combination is just so heavenly.

Photobucket

Of course, how can I missed out not serving Chocolate Ice Cream right? The girls love these as well.

Photobucket

So now you know how much ice cream I am having of late. We just couldn't stop! Nothing beats homemade.

Citrus Sorbet

What you need:

3 cups of freshly squeeze citrus juice (1 grapefruit, 1 lime, 3 oranges, 1 lemon)
150g sugar
zest of grapefruit, lime, orange and lemon

Method

Mix about ½ cup of citrus juice with the sugar. Stir till sugar dissolved.

Add the remaining juice.

Chill the mixture and freeze it in the ice cream machine.

Add in the zest last.

***
Source: Perfect Scoop

Lemon Ice Cream

What you need:

2 lemons zest
100g castor sugar
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3)
2 cups whipping cream
pinch of salt

Method

Zest the lemons directly into a big cup.

Add in sugar and lemon juice and stir till sugar dissolved.

Blend in the cream and salt.

Pour into the ice cream maker accordingly to manufacturer’s instruction.


Lemon Caramel Sauce

200g fine sugar
1 cup water
2 – 3 tbsp lemon juice

In a large saucepan, spread the sugar in a even layer.

Pour in ½ cup water and a few drops of lemon juice.

Bring to boil. DO NOT STIR. Swirl the pan gently if the sugar is cooking unevenly.

Once the sugar begins to smoke and become deep amber. Remove from heat and add the remaining ½ cup water. BE CAREFUL of caramel splattering.

Let steam subside and whisk the caramel until smooth. Once it cooled it will thickens.

Stir in the remaining lemon juice.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the mee siam looks so good! I also love dry mee siam! I've not tried cooking dry one though. I shall try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing it.
    Btw, I'm also sad that school is re-opening. I'm already looking forward to end October now! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I have mixed feeling about the new school term. Do try the mee siam and let me know whether you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin