Monday, June 13, 2011

Another kitchen experiment

These days, my girl and I lunch out twice a week for she has tuition right after school.

Months ago, we found a new (at least to me) Japanese restaurant in one of the shopping mall near my girl's tuition place. We both had ramen. One of the side order that came was this very interesting hard boiled egg. I can't recall what they called it but somehow, I found a forum member sharing this recipe.

I immediately KIV it for I know I will want to attempt it. I am not fan of hard boiled egg. I find the hard boiled egg yolk hard to swallow, it has this cakey powdery feel thus I always asked for half boiled eggs or soft boiled eggs.

Anyway, Ajitma (糖心蛋) as I found out, is a hard boiled egg with soft egg yolk. I really like it very much.

So when I saw cute small eggs available in the supermarket, I knew this will be perfect as our finger food. I bought two dozens.

Unfortunately because the eggs are smaller, I think my timing to cook the egg was also off from the instruction.

I didn’t get the orangey egg yolk but it was that far off either. I am sure if I fine tuned it a little, I will get it right.

Thanks for sharing, for now you have changed my perspective of a hard boiled egg.

Photobucket

Source: M4M, Ma li

Yield 15 small eggs (I used 53g)

Method:

Boil some water in a saucepan over medium fire. When it starts to simmer (little 'bubbles' appearing on side on the saucepan), gently place the eggs (preferably room temperature eggs) into the water.

**Too hot to put in, then place egg on a spoon & into the water.

Time for boiling the eggs is 6mins 30secs. (for smaller eggs, cut to 6mins)

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce for marinating the eggs.

What you need:

1/3 cup of soya sauce (Kikkoman Naturally Brewed),
3 tsp brown sugar
1 cup of water
2 tbsp bonito flakes, *(optional)
½ tbsp mirin

Boil the above to a light simmer, turn off heat. Let it cool slightly.

Prepare a container filled with iced water. Put in lots of ice cubes.

When eggs are boiled, discard the hot water, place the eggs into the iced water.

It'll be better if you put the whole container into the fridge. Soak the eggs for 20 minutes. Start peeling the eggs slowly, patiently (the egg white might be a little delicate to handle).

Use a tall container if you have, if not, glass bowl works as well. Place the cooled soya sauce mixture & eggs into the bowl. Cling wrap and let it 'sit in' for at least 4hours (if to be eaten on that day) or chill in the fridge overnight.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. I love this type of eggs very much too...:D)! Love them especially in noodles soups :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I love this kind of eggs too! I always enjoy eating them in Jap noodles! Will you be sharing how to make them? I thought yours looked good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the recipe from a cookbook recently and have yet to make it. Looks lovely must try it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, I've always loved eggs, hard boiled, soft, over easy, sunny sde up, as long as eggs. Love when friend with lup cheong.
    Can see you have a black belt in cooking....
    Have fun and keep a song in your heart.
    Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking Gallery, i totally agree with you.

    Passionate About Baking, recipe posted. Need to adjust cooking time with different egg size.

    Anncoo, try it. It is nice.

    Uncle Lee, how have you been? Fried egg with lup cheong....thanks will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much Edith! Appreciate your effort to post it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith! thanks for posting this up again. i just love runny egg yolks, i.e. soft-boiled eggs and i'm sure this goes great with ramen too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my friend sent me one recipe long time ago (haven't tried his recipe yet)... using rice cooker...

    if you want to try this, you can write to me...

    candice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog by turning to the web.
    I want to congratulate you for the quality of your blog, recipes, photos and all the interesting content you offer.
    I addition to your followers are contracting, so you do not lose sight of.
    If you like going from my blog, you're welcome.
    My blog is in Italian, but there is a translator.
    The magic pumpkin.
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  10. These eggs are so perfectly cooked. Nice to know these tips!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin