Monday, May 02, 2011

Our voices

Even though we are having a long weekend, we couldn't make any short getaway as the kids are in the midst of their exam and this will drag on for 3 weeks! Positive note is that there are ample of time to do revision but on the other hand, it is very tiring as well. As parents, we just need to find the balance as no to make the kids feel stretched.

This weekend, besides books, we tuned to the You Tube frequently, trying to catch up with rallies.

In the past, we were not bothered with all these politics as it is always a walk over. My mom always said 官字两个口, you can't win them. I don’t recall, those days I even bothered by what our politicians had to say. After all, we were just simply order taking citizens. In fact, we welcome that so that we can have more extended weekend for our diving trips!

But I guess time has changed, just like we no longer can use the same teaching method as our parents used on us, for our kids.

The people can no longer take the talk down dictatorship.

With the rising cost of PUBLIC housing, the TREMENDOUS pressure on education and the RIDICULOUS increment for our leaders. I guess people are feeling the strain.

Sometime I watched with amazement how those charity shows raise funds to help our fellow Singaporeans with our HEAD of the country watching performers bearing injuries from rehearsals just to bring the show to greater heights so that they can raise more funds.

I remembered when I was little, I was on welfare milk as I was under weight and I don’t recall my parents paying a cent for it. Now we need fellow Singaporeans and corporations to raise fund for School Pocket fund.

Take for an example, my girl’s school is only partially funded by the government though it is a Singapore school. Thus we are getting countless of request for fund raising.

I once remembered an education head said that gift children are not groomed but in born. So if it is in born, isn’t it still not too late to pick this cream of the crop after they enjoyed their childhood first?

It makes no difference when you picked them out at 8, 9, 10 or 12 or even at 16 years old! Isn’t it?

After all, if you are born smart, no one can take them away from you. Why subject the rest of the children from this gruesome and torturing regimen, just to filter the chosen ones and in the process, most of them lost their childhood. Is this fair?

Seriously, after my kids lost their childhood, the next pain will to see my children slave away to get a roof over their head in the future. Do you think I will have a chance to become a grandma?

The logical me will tell them to carry on the life cycle and makes it complete but on the other hand, will it be another vicious cycle for my future generation? My brother opted the other way, he left the country to seek a better future for his next generation. He became a quitter as what he is being labelled but he and his family is so much happier now. I watched my nephew who is only a year younger than my girl. He is definitely not short changed in any way.

I am thankful our leaders had brought Singapore to such heights but it also pains me to see how our hard earned money going into these pockets.

Does our President really deserved to command an increment to such extravagant? Since our ministers are of such capable calibre, why do we still need Senior Minister as already we have a MM Lee as a guiding light?

I might be wrong but in the past, I always had the impression that people join politic for patriotic reason, now I wonder is this about the million dollar salary that they are in for?

Sometime I wish I have a money photocopying machine at home. Then at least I can, not only contribute to these fat pay checks, I also can zap a little bit more for our forgotten lot – the poor and the needy.

I am glad that finally some one is standing up to represent the voices of many citizens and I hope on 7th May, we are afraid no more.

To this, I leave you with this interesting Waffles cookies recipe that I found in a book. It is extremely easy to prepare and fun to work with your kid as well.

Photobucket

Since I had the waffle iron out, and my kids were urging me to make waffles for nearly two weeks. I quickly pick a Swiss waffle as my next tried and tested recipe.

Photobucket

As we are leaving the house for tuition time, yes my girl is going for tuition as she is EXPECTED to know how to do PROCESS skill in P3 for science!!!! Crazy isn't it?

Anyway, they can’t wait to eat the Swiss Waffle with scoop of ice cream as dessert later.

What you need:

100g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
50g castor sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg, separated
50ml sour cream
25ml milk
1 tbsp Kirsch
zest and juice of 1 lemon

Method

Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a bowl.

Whisk the egg yolk, cream, milk and kirsch together.

Beat the mixture into the flour to form a smooth batter.

Add the lemon juice and zest.

Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks.

Fold them into the batter.

Cook the waffles in a waffle maker.

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. hi! ur swiss waffles looks great. will u be able to share the recipe. this is my email address jlovestoshop@gmail.com


    regards,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin