Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Looks can be deceiving

I had been thinking alot about Fish Head Curry. During our dating days, hubby and I used to frequent a stall in Chong Pang Market but it has since moved and we were clueless where they went. The spices and the way they done the fish head is just perfect. In fact, I think they steam the fish head separately and so the firmness of the flesh is just right.

Another hot favourite will be one at Little India but because of the kids, we hardly had a chance to dine in Indian restaurant. The spicy level is as far as the gravy from the Roti Prata my little one will accept.

Last year, the kids were involved in some activities and we were given a chance to have lunch alone as a couple. As we were near the vicinity, we tried Fish Head Curry in Suntec. This restaurant's main branch is in Little India. We didn't enjoy the dinner at all. The portion served was pathetic and though the fish head wasn't that bad but the service is a total put off and it was pricey as well.

So you can imagine how long ago we last had this dish. When I saw a nice Red Snapper on sales, I grabbed the opportunity to create Fish Head Curry at home. After all, this recipe book that I used never failed me with its taste.

Unfortunately, my helper is a little rough in handling the fish and we ended with a really unappetising dish on the table. Luckily, we are not having any guests if not it will really be a waste not to serve this.

If you like Fish Head Curry like me, have a go at this. You might enjoyed it as much as we did.

Verdict: Helper finds it a little too sourish but for hubby and I, we think this is good enough to end those cravings.

I hope home cooked as I am able to add in more okra which goes so well with this type of curry.

Photobucket

Source: Zarina's easy cooking

What you need:

4 tbsp fish curry powder
salt to taste
1 spring curry leaves
1 red chilli
1 green chilli
1/2 onion - slice thick
1 clove garlic - slice
1 fresh tomato - slice into two
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp tamarind with 3 cup water, mixed and strained. (if you don't like too sour, reduce this)
8 - 10 okra
1 med sized fish head approx 900g

To be fried
2 tsp fish curry spices
1 spring curry leaves
1 med onion - slice thinnly
3 tbsp cooking oil

Method

Put curry powder, salt, curry leaves, chillies, onion, garlic and tomato in a pot. Add water. Crush the chillies and tomato to release the flavour.

Add in tamarind juice and set aside.

Heat oil and fry B till fragrant. Pour into the pot and boil with the cover on.

Add fish head. Cooked till fish head is done.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I'd tried Muthu's Curry at Orchard 313 and found the fish head curry really good, together with some other dishes. But yes, the service is really much to be desired. Thankfully the dining experience was made up with good food.

    Sorry to hear that your rendition didn't work out well.

    But rest assure that you are not alone. My little adventure with assam fish head didn't work out as fantastic as I'd wanted it as well.

    http://travellingfoodies.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/simple-eats-assam-fish-head-%E9%98%BF%E5%8F%81%E9%B1%BC%E5%A4%B4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Muthu's curry too but the one next door I heard was even better. (Little India branch). Yet to try that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin