Friday, April 15, 2011

Thank you

First of all, I would like to thank all who either shared your health experience or remedy with me. I am seriously touched by concern, comments and emails.

Hubby is coming home today and I decided to bake a Lychee cake for him. I had been soaking my lychee with vodka for more than two weeks and had been lying idle in my fridge.

I also wanted to experience making a Genoise cake. Heard so much about it but never really tried it as I always read that it is a dry cake and it is best soaked with flavoured syrup.

Went to get a new cake ring to do this cake as I heard it is much easier with cake ring for such cakes.

Anyway, here is my Lychee cake. I am pleased to find a tinge of alcohol to it. Not over powering that my kids will shunned.

As for the Genoise, I should have laded it with syrup but I thought the cream will be able to give it some moisture and I was wrong. I didn’t like the texture as I find it too “rough”. I love soft moist sponge.

I incorporated two types of cream to find out which one taste better and I am glad that both are good.

Next time, I will try a different sponge and make this into Lychee Martini Cake!

Verdict: Family has no complain about this cake but I am sure this is far from what I am looking for.

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. MY god! I love lychee and anything lychee!!! too bad its not a common fruit here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never liked the Genoise - maybe because I still have not mastered the technique to get it fine enough. I prefer the soufflé sponge which requires the egg white to be beaten separately. But I bet HHS flavor of the lychee cake should 'camouflage' the texture of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh lychees in alcohol sound awesome! For genoise, the texture itself is quite rough, so you really have to be VERY liberal with the syrup. And by very, it's like soaking the entire cake in syrup almost - but the results after that are quite good :) moist and yummy, especially after it's kept in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my first experience with a genoise cake wasn't that pleasant too...not sure if it's just me or the cake itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love lychees, better still lychees with a splash of alcohol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lychee with vodka! sounds like a wonderful combination to me! genoise can be tricky yes... too little liquids and it remains rather dry and grainy. Too much and you get a trifle! but i think you'd done a great job, Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mr. pineapple man, I believe you can find this in canned form in the States.

    Shirley @ Kokken69, it seems like this is the general feedback about Genoise. Well at least now I have tried it and confirmed that I don't like it.

    Then again, perhaps next time I have to soak it with syrup instead. I might change my opinion by then.

    Janine, yes for me, anything with alcohol is great. hahaha

    Jean, I don't think we are the problem one, the general feedback are all like this.

    chopinandmysaucepan, totally agree with you. hehe

    travellingfoodies, thanks. Yah I think I need to find THE recipe to change my opinion on this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never liked the Genoise - maybe because I still have not mastered the technique to get it fine enough. I prefer the soufflé sponge which requires the egg white to be beaten separately. But I bet HHS flavor of the lychee cake should 'camouflage' the texture of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear sis,

    Can you share the recipe.. love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs Hakim,

    I just realised that I didn't save this recipe. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin