Sunday, March 13, 2011

Yes, I did it! - can you see the pictures?

I brought my daughter to a balloon sculpture workshop today. Whenever there is a party, my girl always won’t miss a chance to have a balloon. I guess it is what kids loved when they were young.

Thus when M invited me to this workshop organised by her company in the Bishan Library, I took up the opportunity.

I didn't know my little one, just like me is afraid of balloons. We were taught how to create a sword, a hat and a 4 petal flowers. As easy as it might look but you definitely need the courage to twist and turn those filled up balloons. In fact, I burst quite a number of them.

It was an enjoyable one hour of fun and a good experience as well. I also found out that the National Library actually organised many fun activities for kids. Chatted with another mother and she told me that there is a tea party tomorrow at another library.

If you are bored and couldn’t think of any idea how to entertain your kids, this is the best form of bonding as well as learning. Now my girl is looking forward to more such event organised by the library.

After a happy afternoon, I couldn’t wait to get home as the mall was flooded with people. Gosh, I really can take crowd these day, they give me a dizzy feeling. I still love being at home.

I brought some beetroot for my dad but he got hospitalised and thus mom brought the whole bag of it back to my house. As I am the only one like this, besides juicing it, I saw how Peng’s Kitchen incorporated it and created a Beetroot Chiffon Cake, I was curious. With my last failed attempt, I was keen to retry it again.

I was so delighted that my chiffon cake is finally tall and pretty. Unfortunately, hubby and kids didn’t enjoy it as it is bland. I think I will do some frosting on it later on.

Photobucket

Mom gave me some kou kei. She had painstakingly remove the middle stem from the leaves. Her theory was that it will give a smoother mouth feel with drinking this Kou Kei Soup.

Photobucket

Beetroot Chiffon

What you need:

200gm beetroot, steamed & pureed

6 egg yolks
1 lemon zest

60ml olive oil

50gm sugar
some red food colouring (optional)

120gm plain flour

6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
70gm sugar

Method

Combine with egg yolks, oil, sugar, lemon zests and beetroot puree n a mixing bowl. Sift in flour until batter forms.

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peaks form.

Gently fold 1/3 of egg white foam into egg yolk batter. Pour mixture into remaining egg white foam and fold till combined.

Pour batter into ungreased 9" tube pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 45mins. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cool before unmoulding.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. beautiful chiffons congrats Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty chiffons! And Kudos to your mum for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for u! am still procrastinating to make my next chiffon cake after the past few misses... and yea beetroot is quite bland actually, to my surprise despite its striking red color. i was quite surprised when I had my first slip of beetroot juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your chiffons! The colour of the beetroot really makes the cakes pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith, happy to see yr successful chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wah... ur mom really put in so much effort. To me, it's smooth enough oredi, even with the middle part of the leaf.
    Nice pink specked chiffon you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith, lovely chiffon. Unfortunately me and chiffon somehow don't get along too well. Mine never comes out tall and fluffy like everyone else's ..... so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to know that you found something for your daughter to look forward to. It's always nice to strike a balance between school/work and leisure. =)

    Nice cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your chiffon looks really pretty and the color is really nice!

    just wondering where you got the mini pans from? they looks soooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith, interesting chiffon cakes you have made. For the beet root, do you add the pulp or the juice only?I have some kou gee growing in my backyard. At the moment is not enough to make a bowl of soup. I would like to ask your permittion to link your blog with mine. As you see I've started a blog just a few days ago. It's still quite empty like a new house. There is no rush for you to answer my request. I'll respect your decision made. Thank you, kind regards. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful chiffons congrats Edith!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin