Friday, March 25, 2011

Second childhood?

Do you think our palette will change as we aged? My mom is a great cook and we always enjoy her cooking. In fact, she was so good and set a standard so high that our palette becomes critical when we dine out.

When I received a phone call today from mom, she was complaining to me that my dad was telling to his brother that her cooking is not nice even hospital food tasted better. I can obviously empathize and understood her anger.

You see, while my dad was in hospital some weeks ago, he was served with curry chicken, assam fish etc.... all these dishes stimulate the taste bud.

While back home, mom can't find the energy to blend numerous spices to churn out such dish for just the two of them. Of course, when the kids got married and lived away and with a smaller family, the dishes also got simpler.

I decided to blend some Indonesian Sambal for him so that at least he can add this to spice up their daily meal. At least then both will be happy with each other.

Photobucket

Sometime I felt really strange to mediate my parents. I pray that when I get old, I won't be that difficult to please.

Do you believe in second childhood?

Souce: Celebrate Wesley 125th

What you need:

500g fresh red chillies
100g peeled ginger
100g galangal
2 big onions
15 shallots
10 cloves garlic
150g belachan, toasted

2 lemon grass
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 tbsp assam paste. 1/4 cup hot water to make the juice
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Method

Peel onions, shallots and garlic.

Grind chillies, ginger, galangal, onions, shallots, garlic and belachan to a fine paste.

Heat wok with 3 tbsp oil and fry paste, lemon grass and lime leaft till fragrant.

Add assam water, sugar and salt and fry till slightly dry.

Note: Adjust taste by adding either assam water, salt or sugar accordingly.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,

    Yes, I do believed in 2nd childhood. Becos I used to not like the 'old traditional' bakeries, now I sinmply missed/craved for them. Also things that I used to think childish when I was a teenager, now I started to appreciate and play/explore them.
    U think this is 2nd childhood?

    Mool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,
    No second childhood for me if I can help it cos I'm always young at heart.
    Btw, your sambal is so invitingly good. Can eat double the amount of rice with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mool, I am like you too. Now I appreciate nostagic stuff.

    J, I hope I will be as young as heart like you and FYI, you look young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mool, I am like you too. Now I appreciate nostagic stuff.

    J, I hope I will be as young as heart like you and FYI, you look young.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin