Sunday, March 06, 2011

More leftover?

Perhaps you might be sick of seeing so many banana recipes in my blog by now.

My girl loves banana and I will try to buy a bunch as often as I can but I also wanted to offer variety of fruits to her.

This time round, I bought the banana not with her in mind as thus, it is riper which is excellent for baking.

With the remaining two bananas sitting pathetically in the fridge, too few to bake a cake and I seriously doubt it will be nice with a pudding.

Since I am baking some bread with topping, I decided just to mash it in to give some flavour.

I have taken this recipe from Magic Bread. A little story before I proceed onto my experience with this recipe.

I actually brought this book sometime back after reading in a forum that it is a good book. As usual, I am always a sucker for books and especially good books. I came home and drooled on all the pictures instead and then back to the book shelf.

Just before I left for my Dec holiday, I further acquired two more books on bread making, I told myself that I must embark on this bread journey. With more understanding on my machine aka the mixer, I now know that I mustn't overwork it.

Anyway, back to this book, I am curious about this method and was wondering whether it will yield the same texture as the 17 hours method.

I needed to proof the dough much longer than the 40 mins indicated. I even place the bowl under the sun. Resorted to turning on the oven and proof further with the heat turned off. The result was much better, at least I see double in volume.

I proceeded with the rest of the steps with no more hiccup till I make the toppings and making a blunder with the 3rd proofing. Thinking that my home might be too “cold” for proofing, I turned on the oven again and place the dough back with heat turned off.
(A mistake as it should be after the dough's final proofing only then the topping)

The topping started to melt!!! The heat I think was too hot for the toppings! It was messy.

Removed and reheat the oven before continuing with the baking.

The toppings got a little burnt though but the bread baked beautifully. The texture is really soft and fluffy.

I will definitely try more recipes from this book.

I hope to churn out home made bread rather than store bought but let's pray that I won't be lazy too often.

Now let's enjoy my Japanese Cream Bread with Banana Mexico Topping.

Photobucket

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #5 Fruity March (March 2011) hosted by Jess of Bakericious

What you need:
A
120g bread flour
85g boiling water

B
380g bread flour
75g sugar
6g salt
8g instant yeast

C
120 cold milk
100g whipping cream
1 cold egg

D
40g butter, softened

Method:

Add the boiling water (A) to flour and mix till a dough is formed. Cool and refridgerate for 12 hours.

Blend B and then mix in C. Knead to form a rough doug and slowly add in pieces of the chilled dough.

Knead to form elastic dough.

Proof for 40 mins.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces, 80g each. Mould and shaped it round. Let it rest for 10 mins.

Flatten it and roll into an oblong shape. Place them into the loaf tin.

Let it proof for 50 mins.

Pipe the Banana Mexico Topping on it and bake for 20 - 25 min at 180 degree.


Banana Mexico Topping


What you need:

2 banana, mashed finely
60g butter
50g sugar
1 egg
65g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Method

Cream butter and sugar till well blended.

Add in egg and banana puree and beat till smooth.

Add in flour and baking powder and beat till a smooth paste. Set aside.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. hi-5 edith! i always buy the books, look at those pics and put it on the book shelf! anyways, the bread look really soft and fluffy! a little burnt at the top makes it special. like portuguese egg tarts must have some burnt spots as its trade mark (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, I am a sucker for recipe books. I just bought 3 bake/cook books on Fri.
    I, too love anything with bananas. Pass your leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread sure looks very soft and yummy! Don't we often mis-read instructions? Hahaha...However, we learn from our mistakes and make it better the next time! Luckily the toppings turned out alright too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetylicious, you are really sweet. Luckily it didn't burn till it is not edible. LOLz.

    Busygran, 3 books! wow so nice.

    PAB, yes, especially when I always speed read. Always forget that it is not a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the bread looks awesome! the texture looks so soft and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soft & fluffy bread, yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin