Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A good workout

After a good workout last night, I had just a hard time getting out of bed this morning. My muscle in this tiny body is finally getting some exercise.

Next week, I will need to don on my waist band to hold up my body better as I was feeling the tension on my back as the lesson intensified. The coach is actually getting concern when I told him that I had a slipped disc operation two (oops should be three) years ago.

Actually a thought came through me while I was having lesson. Seriously I always wonder will I get to lead a life that I used to before I had slipped disc?

For the past years, I refrain from sports. I do have a fear that my spine will snap but yet, I know this can't go on forever as I aged, I need to be even more active to stay healthy.

Anyone been through such operation and had be active in sports? Please share your view.

The rain and cool weather indeed make my spirit high. Today I am in the mood for some kitchen experiment.

So I decided to do something fun. I didn't used up all the strawberry for the Strawberry Shortcake and had quite a fair bit left over. I just brought a new pack of whipping cream. A roll of digestive biscuit was sitting in my pantry waiting for me to do a cheesecake.

Since I still have leftover cream, I wanted to use up the pack of cream. I wish the manufacturer will package the cream in smaller packing. 200ml is generally too little for some decent bakes and 1 litre packaging is way too much. I always ended up throwing the remaining and it is such a heart pain as it is definitely not cheap.

Initially I wanted to make some Strawberry Panna Cotta as I have never tasted that before.

After some browsing through my books, I decided to change plan.

I make a Strawberry Mashmallow Pie. This is a different mashmallow pie from the one that I had done many years ago.

That recipe is where I gathered from a forum. In fact, I recalled, I tried 10 times before I succeeded for the person who shared didn't respond to all my issues. Thus I had to do my own trial and errors.

The funny part was that later on, I realised that she wasn't the creator of that recipe. In fact, it was actually circulating in one of the statutory board staff bulletin and it belongs to a different name.

My classmate's wife later on told me that she first tasted this in Australia. So I guess I will never be able to identify the real inventor.

Photobucket

Anyway, here is my version of Strawberry Mashmallow Pie. Extremely easy to prepare but just need the patience for the filling to set a little before incorporating the next step.

Photobucket

Verdict: Hubby prefers a thicker crust. Boy prefers to be more sourish. Girl said it was good.

Now try it and see whether this needs improvement.


What you need:

180g digestive biscuits
80g melted butter

15g gelatine
3 tbsp hot water

225g mini mashmallow
200g strawberry
200g milk

150g whipping cream

Method

Process the biscuit, sugar and melted butter in a food processor till biscuit become fine crumbs. Remove and put into a 7" spring form pan. Press as firmly into the pan including the sides.
Chill in the freezer. The height should be above 1.5".

Puree the strawberry with a little milk (taken from 200g). Pour into a saucepan.

Add in the remaining milk and mini mashmallow and over slow heat, stir and melt the mashmallow. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat.

Dissolve gelatine with the hot water and stir into the mashmallow mixture. Set aside to cool.

Whip the whipping cream till peak and fold it into the mashmallow mixture.

Pour into the chilled biscuit base and chill for at least 4 hours.

Garnish with either strawberries or whipping cream will make the pie prettier. (I am too lazy for this step)
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. such a beautiful pie! must be really yummy! refrain from heavy exercises a little step at a time will yield better results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,
    Thanks so much for the "lovely blog" award. I will compile my list of 15 before posting it up. I am sorry to hear that u had a slipped disc, but between attempting to exercise despite and your 10 trials for this pie, i very much admire your determination! And your pie looks so pretty pink, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    Thanks so much for the "lovely blog" award. I will compile my list of 15 before posting it up. I am sorry to hear that u had a slipped disc, but between attempting to exercise despite and your 10 trials for this pie, i very much admire your determination! And your pie looks so pretty pink, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing! This actually uses marshmallows! I bet it tastes lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. j3ss kitch3n, I already refrained from exercising for 3 years and my fats are piling round my waist. Thus must start from somewhere but I will be careful.

    Thanks Alice and Cathy.

    You are welcome crustabakes. Not all the time I am a determined person. Like this chiffon and sponge cakes trial. I don't know when I will succeed. Let's hope I won't give up that easily. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Edith, here's an award for u:
    http://iloveicookibake.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-first-blog-award.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gawd this looks fantastic! I especially love how soft pink it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Edith, here's an award for u:
    http://iloveicookibake.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-first-blog-award.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh gawd this looks fantastic! I especially love how soft pink it is! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin