Monday, March 14, 2011

Can't wait

My friends and I had been counting down to our little get away. Since we got started on going holiday, this is our third trips together and I am definitely looking forward to having more.

As planned, I was supposedly to leave my kids with my parents. With my dad just being discharged today, I don't think it is a good idea to put them there. I am sure my dad needed that peace and rest. Thus, I had no choice but to leave them at home. Luckily, hubby is not travelling this week. So he is able to check on their safety.

This will be my first time, leaving home and letting my kids home alone with the helper. I do feel the jittery but I guess some how I need to let go.

I had got the fridge loaded with food, the menu all planned out and gave the tuition timetable to my hubby. Let's hope by the time I get home on Saturday. I don't see a war zone. LOLz.

Thus before leaving, I baked a Chocolate Sponge Cake for my kids to snack.

Didn't quite like the texture as it is dry. If you wanted to attempt and yield a better result than mine, do drop me a comment.

Photobucket

Happy Holiday!

Source: Celebrate Westley 125th

What you need:

8 eggs, separated
127g, 5oz corn oil
116g, 4oz water
227g, 8oz optima flour, sifted
83g, 3oz HongKong flour, sifted
28g, 1oz cocoa powder, sifted
14g, 2 tbsp chocolate emulco
1/2 tsp red colouring
169g, 6oz castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Frostings

30oz water
167g, 6oz castor sugar
60g, 6 tbsp hoon hwee flour
25g, 6 tsp instant jelly
1 tbsp cocolate emulco
84g, 3oz compound chocolate, chopped
1/4 tsp red colouring
pinch of salt

Method:

Frosting:
Dissolve hoon kwee powder in 4 oz of water. Set aside.

Pour remaining water into a pot and bring to boil.

Stir in the sugar, instant jelly, chocolate emulco, salt and red colouring.

Gradually pour in the hoon kwee mixture, lower the heat and continue to stir till mixture thickens.

Stir in the chocolate till it melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.

Cake

Whisk egg yolks, oil, water, optima flour, hongkong flour, cocoa powder, red colouring and chocolate emulco till well blended. Set aside.

Prehat oven to 150 degree and prepare 2 X 8" cake pan.

Whisk egg white with cream of tartar till soft peak and slowly drizzle in the sugar. Whisk till stiff.

Fold flour mixture into egg white till just combined.

Pour into tin and bake for 30 mins or till cake is cooked.

Frost the cake when it is cool.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your getaway and don't worry about the kids! See you back soon again, recharged :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and tempting choc cake. Hope can have a slice for my breakfast.
    Have a wonderful trip, Edith :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a great time Edith! beautiful cake btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy holidays! Wish I can have a slice of your chocolate cake, I need it to go with my afternoon coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought it looks good edith! neatly sliced chocolate cake! looks really fudgy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erm, but the cake looks good in the pic ... Have fun vacationing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful choc sponge! I am tempted to have a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have a great time Edith! beautiful cake btw!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin