Monday, February 07, 2011

What to do if....

I am sure by now, a lot of you out there would have already accumulated tubs of egg whites and just like me doesn't know how else to work with these besides macaroons?

Well, I was happy to come across this recipe. Banana Cake with White Chocolate Ganache. At least it helps to solve a part of my problem.

With a bag of white chocolate sitting impatiently in my fridge, I thought this will be the perfect recipe for me. After all, I need to slowly use up those bags of chocolate that I had stocked up.

The recipe called for a 3 x 9" cake pans but my oven can only accommodate two. A blessing in disguise because the layers turned out to be not as tall or should it be otherwise? Perhaps next time, I will just bake it in 8" pans.

I don't know what went wrong too. Overbeating? The banana taste was there but it lacks the fluffiness of what I like my cake to be. The saving grace was the white chocolate ganache and the pecans.

Could it be that I reduce the sugar nearly by half, resulted in a slightly drier texture? I seriously don't know.

It is relatively an easy recipe except that I omit the step of sugar coating the pecans. I am not a fan of hard sugar coated nuts.

Photobucket
Anyway this cake will be for our dessert for tonight.

I am going to put down the recipe, should you decided to try and get a better result, please do share your thoughts.

Recipe source: Sky High, Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes

What you need:

397g cake flour
3.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
92g mashed ripe banana (for better flavour use well ripened banana)
226g unsalted butter
215g castor sugar (original called for 2 cups)
210g egg whites (7 egg whites)

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degree. Greased 3 X 9" pan (I will use 8" instead)

Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Puree the banana and the milk till smooth and light.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg whites 2 or 3 at a time until smooth. Scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions.

At low speed, add in dry ingredients and banana puree alternately in 2 or 3 additions, beating until just blended.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium high speed for 1 min.

Pour into pans and bake for 20 - 25 mins.

Cool on rack.

What you need:

224g white chocolate button
2 1/2 cup heavy cream
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Put the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl.

Bring 1/2 cup of the cream to a boil and pour into the white chocolate. Let it stand for 1 min and whisk till smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a chilled bowl and with chilled beater, beat the remaining cream and vanilla to soft peak. Stir in the white chocolate and beat until fairly stiff. DO NOT OVERBEAT.

Frost the banana cake.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Yummy! Your cake looks delicious. Can't wait to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, Happy New Year!!!
    sorry the cake doesn't turn out to be your liking... you are such a skillful baker, probably it is just the recipe's problem. The cake's interior looks moist though, I don't mind helping you to eat it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egg whites can be used to fry rice, make tofu, bake some friands, biscotti, angel food cake, buttercream and so on so forth.
    Sometimes, I have to throw away my yolks, after making buttercream because I had nothing in mind to bake after using the whites.
    Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a gorgeous looking cake, I would love to have a slice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith,
    Happy New Year!

    Your cake looks good! I'm not sure if I'm game to try this though. I've been using my egg whites to make macarons (but all failures hahaha!). No, not a fan of macs but just a challenge to myself. Maybe I should just call it quit and use my egg whites on something edible. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, congrats! You have won the book from my giveaway. Please email me your mailing address to smallsmallbaker@yahoo.com.sg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline, do test it out and let me know if you got a better result than me.

    G, the ganache save this cake. :( If you ever come by, we can bake together. I need to learn from you.

    Wendy, egg white for fried rice? mmmm... will experiment.

    My son loves Macaroons but I am so lazy these days.

    SSB, no kidding!!! yipeee! I never win anything since I become a homemaker! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edith, the cake looks good despite what you have written. I'm sure the ganache goes well too!
    I've been using egg whites to make omelette, for health reasons. Chiffon cakes also use lots of egg whites, some cookies like cat's tongue, meringue..... facial mask

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin