Saturday, February 26, 2011

Steamed or steaming

We woke up really late this morning. If not for a phone call, I doubt I even wanted to get out of bed. If I can have my way, I don't even want to come home.

Sometime, having a stranger living in your house is really a challenge. You have to pray and hope that they will behave and respect your home and your house rules. That they will put in their best effort to fulfil their role for the next two years. Unfortunately, usually after clearing their loans, their true character shows. They started to rearrange your house as if it is their own, they started to cut corners, and the list goes on and on.

What I don't like is the way they talked back as if they have done nothing wrong when they are confronted with an issue. Personally I prefer them to just admit their mistake and move on. The more they denied the worst I feel. I begin to lose that trust.

The saddest part is that I have got no choice but to depend on them. Now I only have to wait till my kids are older to help out with the household duties and then I am able to break free. Will I?

It might be just a dream as hubby still prefers to have one at home to help out. At this point I am might be viewed as an ungrateful person but the mental stress is really hard to take especially I have not one but two at home. (the other is my teenage son).

After seeing Do What I Like's Chicken Pau. I am tempted as not too long ago, I had the worst pau eaten from one those coffee shop kiok.

It is full of fats and it tasted horribly wrong. So when she offers a quick and easy method to prepare, I am sold!

It was indeed soft and fluffy. The preparation was also easy. As it is a warm day, I can easily find a spot to proof the dough. Yea….

Photobucket

As I was trying to accomplish this before sending the kids to Sunday School. I didn't have time to soak the mushroom. Also I have done the base a little too thin but overall, we like it. Next time, will incorporate hard boiled egg.

Photobucket

I am going to make Char Siew Bun next!

Go give it a try! You won’t regret it!

What you need:

180g cake flour
20g corn starch
5g double action baking powder
100ml warm water
4g instant yeast (dry yeast)
18g sunflower seed oil or corn oil
30g-35g sugar

Method:

Mix everything together and knead till you get a smooth and pliable dough.

Prove or rest dough in a covered and warm place for 50 minutes.

Punch air out of dough and divide into 8 equal pieces of about 43g each.

Shape the pieces round, cover it with a wet towel and rest them for 5 minutes.

Flatten the dough piece and shape it into a round disc about 8 or 9 cm in diameter with the center thicker then the rim.

Wrap in 25 -35g of filling and pleat the dough into pau shape. Put the pau on a piece of grease-proof paper and line them in the steamer. Rest the pieces for 15 minutes.

Steam on high heat for 15 minutes. Serve them piping hot!!!
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. i see big chunks of juicy chicken sticking out from the bun, really delicious and irresistible.

    i guess you just have to put up with those guests till they leave. they're not going to stay here forever anyway. dont be disheartened, remember mothers are the pillar of support of the family. so you must stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, this looks really good, juicy filing as well. I'll try this out as I have never made a steamed pau as yet. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bun look sooo delicious!

    edith, if im not wrong about what you mention, i have the same encounter as you. if we were to sit down and talk about it, im sure we can go on and on. i've got many unhappy experiences with them. anyways, stay cheerful and hold on! kids will understand you eventually (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes! I am planning to use this pau recipe next Tuesday too! Since you have reassured that it's good, I'm so happy and confident that is gonna be good! ;) looking forward to your char Siew bao post, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these paus really look good! soft and fluffy!

    my helpers are also in the same way! but i make sure i place them back in their place i got a short fuse so my mum always leave them to me haha i think you are too gentle =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!
    Your steamed chicken pau x-section photo made the pau looked so mouth-watering.
    Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hear no evil, see no evil..then you will feel much better! though it's very late now, i feel like grabbing a piece of your pau and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same fears as you do.
    But my hubby insist on getting one for our house too.

    The pau looks very good. I just ate one yesterday with chicken and jicama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can fully understand where you are coming from. Hubby had been bugging me to get some help as he's really exhausted after a long day at work and still need to clean the house daily. I share your concerns as I've seen and heard so much about the negative part. Yes, I might be the lucky one to have a good helper but what happens if I'm the "unlucky" one? Nope, I'm not taking the gamble and prefer to slog it out myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin