Thursday, February 24, 2011

Life is like a roller coaster when you have a teen

My life these days are like sitting on a roller coaster. Why so? Well dealing with my teenage son can be a mental and physical challenge. There are days I seriously question why I decided to become a mother or even moments when I doubted myself as a failure being a mother.

Actually I was warned about this phrase of life but I never imagine it to be so difficult. The blessing comes from friends who been through it and gives me encouragement to hang on there. It only takes TWO years for this period to go through, I was told. After that, I can enjoy the fruit of my labour.

Sounded so easy but in reality, I seriously have to put in tons of effort to make this works.

Anyway, I am thankful that the Monday's blue is far away and I am motivated once more to continue my parenting role. Hopefully I can see the light after this dark tunnel in two years’ time.

With two not so successful attempts in the past on macaroons baking, I decided to attempt macaroons again as my boy loves these. He didn’t have enough from our recent blogger’s party so here I am trying it out once more.

As usual, it didn’t turn out beautiful like many bloggers’. Mine though have feet are not quite flat as it should be.

Photobucket

Also because I ran out of extra fine almond meal, I had to substitute half of the required amount with hazelnut meals. Perhaps that explains the not so shiny and smooth top.

Photobucket

Done some in heart shaped but it was a total failure. Although the macaroons are not so pretty macaroons but my son is a happy “man” now and that matters most.

Photobucket

Note: I finally found that I actually had the recipe for this one.

Source: (adapted from Carol 烘焙新手必备的第一本书)
Yield 20 macaroon shells

What you need:

45g egg whites (aged for 2-3 days)
50g castor sugar
1/4 tsp lemon juice
65g almond meal
60g icing sugar
1/2 tsp green tea powder

Method

Combine almond meal, icing sugar and green tea powder in a bowl and lightly whisk to mix, mill the mixture in a food processor until it represent flour or even finer

(this step helps to make your shells top look smoother you can omit this step if you do not have a food processor). Pour the milled mixture into a bowl, set aside.

Whisk egg white until foamy, add in lemon juice and half of the castor sugar and whisk until soft peaks forms, add in remaining castor sugar and whisk until the egg white mixture is shiny and stiff peaks form.

Fold in half of the milled dry ingredients into the egg whites batter until just combined, fold in the remaining milled dry ingredients until thoroughly combined, be careful not to over mix the mixture.

Pour the batter into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle, pipe the batter into 3cm circles and space 3cm apart.

Rap the baking pan, around, a few times on the counter top to flatten the macaroons, set it aside to for the shells' surface to dry up around 20-30mins.

Preheat oven to 200C, once preheated slide the tray of dried macaroons into the oven, off the heat immediately and keep the oven door ajar with a thick glove placed in between, for 6mins.

Once the 6mins is up, close the oven door and bake the macaroons at 140C until the macaroons are puffed up and the feet has appear on each and every shell, lower the heat immediately to 120C and bake for 3mins, then lower the heat to 100C for 5mins, then off the heat and let the macaroons sit in the oven to "simmer" for 8mins.

Remove from oven and let it cool completely before removing from the parchment paper.

Fill with fillings of your own choice and keep in airtight containers inside the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
Print Friendly and PDF

25 comments:

  1. Congrats! Your macarons looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, it looks fine, mine wasn't that smooth on top either. I love your heart shape macs. pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the macs are still beautiful! try to grind the almond/hazelnut with the icing sugar the next time you make them it will ensure a smoother top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont be disheartened, ur son will appreciate whatever u've done when he matures. remember how you said you try to control his sugar intake, looks like this is one of his exceptions! they look really delicious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. edith, im sure there'll come a time that your son see the light and become really sensible (: psst, those macaron look great to me (: keep trying! (: hi-5 to your son. macaron lovers :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Edith, I'm sure you will pull through this difficult part of life and everything will fall in good place. Glad that your son still favors your sweet bakes, and you are such a good mum to bake him more. I guess as the old saying say, to win a guy's heart, is through his stomach. Your boy will appreciate his mum's food and love. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great to me, Edith. And I'm sure you're doing an equally great job as a mother. Don't be too hard on yourself. It will be tough times, but you will get through it! Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like u I made a batch of 'purple' macaron as requested by my son ;)) I believe your love for your kid will help you get over this period soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, The macarons look good to me. I've not even baked macrons before. Will try it some days.
    ((HUG))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have kids of my own but I deal with them in my classes! And your son is perfectly normal, because all of them are like that! During my first few years of teaching, I take it personally and very much to heart for the failure of my students. I doubt my abilities as a teacher when my students don't do well for their exams. But over the years, I'd learnt to let go. Sometimes they need to learn to fall, just like we did when we were kids. Hand-holding him too much might not be a good thing for him and you. Just like how sand seeps through our fingers when we try to tighten our grip. A phoenix needs to crumble and disintegrate into nothingness before it can rise from its ashes.

    very nice macarons by the way. practice makes perfect so bake more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cheer up, edith! i know that it's not easy to handle a teenager but i'm sure you are capable to deal with that. At least from your macarons i know that you are someone that never gives up easily, great macarons..i think they look fine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Life is like a roller coaster when you have a kid" lol Love your macarons! Pretty feet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Wen, still room for improvement.

    Cathy, those that you brought to my house were nice.

    Jess, thanks for your recipe. Perfect as it is not too sweet.

    Jean, as a mother, I only can hang on by believing so. I make these becoz it is not coyling sweet like others.

    quizzine, how old is your son? He also like macaroons?

    Anncoo, i think macaroons needs practice. Once you get the hang of it, it will look pretty. For me, I am still in infancy stage.

    travellingfoodies, wow you are a teacher! must have tons of patience dealing with kids these days. Yes you are right, I have to learn not to take too personally on his remarks and attitude. Trying hard.

    lena you are very sweet.

    Ellie (Almost Bourdain, that is why Singapore is suffering from low birth rate. Kids these days are hard to handle unlike my time. We are all so obedient.

    Sweetylicious, I hope so he will mature into a good person. Right now is just so monsterlike.

    HSB, I love your saying. mmmm... then i must churn out more macaroons or meringue!!

    NEL, thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your macarons look great already ! I like the heart shaped ones ! I believe one day your son will understand what you have done for him and all your efforts will be paid off. Dont worry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought they look beautiful! Look those in heart-shape too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edith, I think they still look good to me, I am sure you can get perfect macarons next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't scare me first, I have young boys at home too. Your macarons looks good & yummy to me, at least you tried it, I don't even dare to try it yet. Heard of so many unsuccessful attempt already. However, one day I will sure face this macarons challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your son is very lucky to have a mother like you- who bakes all these wonderful goodies :) Your macarons look good, even if they're not perfect and I bet they tasted really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Joyce @ Chunky Cooky, I really hope for that day.

    Thanks tigerfish.

    I hope so too, Jess.

    DG, I was told that all teens will be like that. So better mentally prepare for that phrase.

    Von, he only goes for sweet stuff. LOLz.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look pretty good to me and they have "feet". Must have been yummy as well and congrats on the great effort. Take care and don't be disheartened ok. I guess mothers just continue giving and giving, because it is simply in their nature to do so. Your day will surely come!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tried making macarons 3 times, only the 2nd time with feet but they look flat. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look pretty good to me and they have "feet". Must have been yummy as well and congrats on the great effort. Take care and don't be disheartened ok. I guess mothers just continue giving and giving, because it is simply in their nature to do so. Your day will surely come!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! Your macarons looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Wen, still room for improvement.

    Cathy, those that you brought to my house were nice.

    Jess, thanks for your recipe. Perfect as it is not too sweet.

    Jean, as a mother, I only can hang on by believing so. I make these becoz it is not coyling sweet like others.

    quizzine, how old is your son? He also like macaroons?

    Anncoo, i think macaroons needs practice. Once you get the hang of it, it will look pretty. For me, I am still in infancy stage.

    travellingfoodies, wow you are a teacher! must have tons of patience dealing with kids these days. Yes you are right, I have to learn not to take too personally on his remarks and attitude. Trying hard.

    lena you are very sweet.

    Ellie (Almost Bourdain, that is why Singapore is suffering from low birth rate. Kids these days are hard to handle unlike my time. We are all so obedient.

    Sweetylicious, I hope so he will mature into a good person. Right now is just so monsterlike.

    HSB, I love your saying. mmmm... then i must churn out more macaroons or meringue!!

    NEL, thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't have kids of my own but I deal with them in my classes! And your son is perfectly normal, because all of them are like that! During my first few years of teaching, I take it personally and very much to heart for the failure of my students. I doubt my abilities as a teacher when my students don't do well for their exams. But over the years, I'd learnt to let go. Sometimes they need to learn to fall, just like we did when we were kids. Hand-holding him too much might not be a good thing for him and you. Just like how sand seeps through our fingers when we try to tighten our grip. A phoenix needs to crumble and disintegrate into nothingness before it can rise from its ashes.

    very nice macarons by the way. practice makes perfect so bake more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin