Sunday, February 27, 2011

A hectic week ahead

Since the takeover, my hubby is working really hard. He has been going out of town much more often than before. This time, it is not controllable by him and thus we see him lesser and lesser.

In fact, ever since he acquired a Blackberry phone (instruction from his new boss), he is not 100% with us, even though he is home. It pissed me off big time especially when we were holidaying!!! Come on, it is a family holiday!!!

I am learning to ignore this but somehow, it gets on my nerve and I wonder how long more before I explode.

Anyway, I bought some Dried Bok Choy weeks ago. First I was thinking of Dried Bok Choy with Salted Fish head Soup (咸鱼头菜干汤) as Dodol & Mochi bought some salted fish head for me during her last visit. Then I decided that I should just make a simple Dried Bok Choy Soup with dates (双枣菜干汤) instead.

Photobucket

Dried bok choy is sweet in taste, it helps to relieve heatiness, moistens the intestines as well as aid with bowel movement. Thinking of hubby's busy travel schedules, I think this is the best option.

What you need:

80g dried bok choy
500g pork ribs
2 slices ginger
dash of salt
5 red dates
2 honey dates
15g sweet almonds
6g bitter almonds
1 piece fruit peel

Method

Soak dried bok choy in water. Rinse and drain well.

Rinse and drain the herbs. Set aside.

Scald pork ribs briefly in boiling water. Remove and drain.

Put all the ingredients into a soup pot, add 10 cups of water. Bring to boil over high heat, them simmer over low heat for 2 hours.

Season with salt.

Note: Dried bok choy usually contain quite a bit of sand. Be sure to rinse over several times before using.

I started my checks round the house and reposition items back to its original place. Though I am absent minded but trust me, I know my stuff at home. Right down to the exact position in its respective position in the drawer or cupboard. I find it extremely irritating when their position is changed and I can’t find them and have to depend on the helper. Perhaps that is why she rearranged my house, so that she is dependable?

Anyway since I am at it and got my momentum going, I went ahead to try out a recipe from my mini library.

At least sometime different from the deep fried items that served on the table when I don't manned the kitchen.

The original recipe is supposed to be beef but I changed it to Chicken instead. So let's enjoy this Greek Style Chicken with piping hot Jasmine rice. Yummy!

Photobucket

You have a good week ahead for I am sure I will. My aunties are coming to town. Yea!

What you need:

3 Chicken Tighs (you can use chicken breast or beef steak (455g)
Black Pepper
5cm Cinnamon Stick
2 med onion, cut into rings
85g butter

Sauce
55ml orange juice
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
1/2 tsp corn flour

Method

Mix the ingredient for sauce and set aside.

Rub black pepper on both sides of the chicken.

Heat a frying pan. Add cooking oil and cinnamon stick, onion. Stir fry till onion is soft. Remove from pan.

Add half of the butter and fry the chicken till golden brown on both sides.

Add the onion and the sauce and remaining butter. Cook till sauce thickens. Add more salt if you find it not salty.

Serve with rice.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. edith when i first got to know you at the meetup, i thought u're a good baker...but after reading the recent posts of yours, i realise you're also a very good cook! Your soup and chicken looks mouthwatering, I'm ready to dig my utensils into them anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,
    Take it easy. I understand how it feels to be in charge of the household, doing everything by yourself. It sure is a hectic week. Don't worry, time flies very fast. Your spouse will be back soon, and the hectic work will be over in no time! Take care of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, Hang in there! Keep busy and cook your hub's favourite when he's around! He will yearn for home more!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, don't get too upset by your husband's invisible BB Leash. It is the reality of work - especially in Asia where the market is more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those dishes look so delicious! homecook food is the best! your husband will appreciate it (: have a great week ahead (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith,

    You're not alone. My hubby just flew off to Bangkok today. And yes, he too stick to his BB all the time and it does piss me off as well...Anyway, hopefully he reads your msg and things will get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean you have been too kind to me. Thanks.

    Passionate About Baking, you are right especially when you are busy, time really flies. Just back for a few days and will be off again on Wed.

    busygran, thanks! I am trying.

    Shirley @ Kokken69, I know you are right but just couldn't help feeling this way. Another 2.5 years more to go.

    The Sweetylicious, thanks. I am enjoying this week even though I am busy.

    Sherreen, there is nothing he can do right now. Haiz.
    5:14 PM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean you have been too kind to me. Thanks.

    Passionate About Baking, you are right especially when you are busy, time really flies. Just back for a few days and will be off again on Wed.

    busygran, thanks! I am trying.

    Shirley @ Kokken69, I know you are right but just couldn't help feeling this way. Another 2.5 years more to go.

    The Sweetylicious, thanks. I am enjoying this week even though I am busy.

    Sherreen, there is nothing he can do right now. Haiz.
    5:14 PM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edith, don't get too upset by your husband's invisible BB Leash. It is the reality of work - especially in Asia where the market is more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith,

    You're not alone. My hubby just flew off to Bangkok today. And yes, he too stick to his BB all the time and it does piss me off as well...Anyway, hopefully he reads your msg and things will get better :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin