Friday, January 28, 2011

A tradition

Pineapple tart is one of those Lunar New Year goodies that everyone will have in their household during this festive celebration. After all, it symbolises prosperity.

With such auspicious name to it, this cookie will definitely takes the centre stage in this big celebration.

Since the day my cousin stopped selling hers, I have yet to find a recipe that matches hers. To this date, our quest to find a replacement still continues. Hers is buttery, light and has this awesome melt in the mouth. It doesn't break easily and holds the jam intact as you deliver this morsel to your mouth.

So far, recipe that has this melt in the mouth texture is extremely hard to handle. Like this recipe that I have got from a forum years back, it tasted nice but I had nightmare with the dough. The cookie cutter method is definitely out for this one as it is extremely soft. I tried chilling it but I had a difficult time rolling it out. I tried using a cookie press but I encountered tremendous problem as it doesn't stay on the tray when I lift. I was going crazy, had such a hard time to complete this batch of dough. In the end, due to over handling, the remaining tarts become hard.

Photobucket

Source: Gan55 (with cream cheese)

What you need:

250gm butter (salted)
75gm caster sugar
170gm cream (I used whipping cream, dairy of course!)
50gm cream cheese
3 egg yolks
400gm cake flour
30gm corn starch

One more yolk for glazing

Method:

Sift Top flour and corn flour together

Using a cake mixer, blend the cream, butter, cream cheese and sugar together till you get a creamy mixture. (10 minutes on speed 2)

Add the 3 egg yolks and sifted flour into the creamed butter mixture.
using the cake mixer's dough mixer, mix till it becomes a smooth dough that is oily enough to not stick to your hand

Allow the dough to stand for 10 minutes. (Chilling helps if you are making the pineapple on top kind)

Divide dough into small balls and the pineapple filling into balls roughly 1/2 the size of the dough.

Wrap filling ball with dough ball and shape as desired. Glaze with the glazing mix.

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes in a oven. (If using convection oven with turbo fan, lower temperature to 160 degrees Celsius)

Remove from oven and re-glaze again before baking for another 5 minutes till golden brown on top.



As for Little Teochew's recipe, it is extremely easy to handle. I churned out a whole batch of dough without a hitch. Unfortunately, this texture is not what I was looking for. If you like a biscuit like crust, this recipe is for you.

Photobucket

I posted my frustration in Facebook and I was so touched by all my friends' responses. Words of encouragement as well as recipes started coming in. I love you all, you are the best.

So on Monday, I will attempt one by one. I am sure one day, I will find one that fits the bill.

Till then, when I find a melt in the mouth and yet easy to handle recipe. I seriously dragged making pineapple tarts am going to keep on trying and trying even if it takes me till after Lunar New Year, my search will not stop.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Oh the recipe from the forum was the one I tried, right?
    I think you can try freezing the dough instead of chilling it. It's way way faster than chilling. I always freeze my rolled dough if I want to be fast.

    Actually if you leave the dough for 2 hours, it'll very oily by then and no longer sticky. I did double batch few days back, and by the end of the shaping, the dough was so so manageble.

    Or just do it thumbprint method, haha, saves time and headache.But not that nice w/o the imprints la.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy it was so funny. I had this recipe fm the same source too. In my kiv file for a long time. Didn't attempt till I read it in a blog n guess what? I couldn't remember which blog I read when I encountered the dough issue. Trying so hard to recall of course me senile till NOW you mentioned! Bang my head! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, I supposed you have tried the recipe from Lekker? I tried it this year, had to work very fast and I think it's more suitable for closed tarts.

    Florence has a similar recipe but slightly less butter. It is easier to manage her dough.

    I was planning to make Ju's recipe today but I'm glad I read your posting here. Going to give it a miss then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin