Thursday, January 27, 2011

Such potent virus

It is coming to nearly two weeks since I or my (nearly) whole family fell ill. Though I had recuperated and my kids are already well enough to be in school (except on Monday that my little one had a relapse).

I never really got over it. I felt so weak and tired all day long. Going for my weekly parenting class is a struggle. I usually enjoy this once a week lesson but this week, I counted by the seconds that it will end soon.

I longed for my bed. For the past few days, after sending son to school, I will rushed home and snuggled back to bed and I won't even wake up till 11ish. A time that I know I have to get ready, refresh and check my mails before I pick up my little one. With her having tuition these days, the days seem even longer. It doesn’t help at all when I have to hang outside of home for eight hours straight through on every Tuesday.

It was sluggish and I definitely didn't like the feeling. I knew this week, no matter what, I had to start baking. Afterall, I already promised mommy dearest that I will promptly deliver her Lunar New Year goodies by this weekend.

Thus two days ago, I started working on my recipes. I have chosen a few but after I got through the first recipe, measuring out the ingredients, I was totally exhausted. I couldn't even stand straight.

In between sitting down and willing myself to cream and fold, finally I dumped the ready dough back to the chiller. These got to wait for I don't want my ingredient to go into the bin. Afterall, prices of butter, flour etc is no longer cheap to flush away this way.

With hubby away and strangely the kids going to bed an hour earlier as well, I was able to settle into bed earlier too. With no aircon, no fan turned on, no TV noise, I slept like a baby last night.

Felt a little better today, and thus I quickly got my act together, for I don’t know how long this energy level is going up.

Okay, I am going to down one bottle of chicken essence. Let’s hope this can pep me up for more bakes later on.

Photobucket

In the meantime, I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favourite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) hosted by J3sskitch3n.

Source: Okashi

What you need:

50g Blanched almond slivers (toast lightly)
150g cake flour
20g cocoa powder
120g unsalted butter, softened
70g icing sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg yolk

Method:

Sift flour and cocoa powder.

Cream butter, sugar and salt until softened and add in egg yolk. Mix well.

Fold the flours into butter mixture. Add in almond silvers and fold through.

Chill dough for 15 mins.

Divide cookie dough into half. Shaped into logs (4cm).

Wrap logs with parchment paper and chill.

Preheat oven to 160 degree. Line pan.

Slice dough into 7mm thick and bake for 20 mins.

Remove from heat and cool on rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. the cookies look fabulous, hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edith,

    Hope you get well soon! I'm down with flu too, it isn't a great feeling, but I'm glad you got up to bake! These are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to take good care and rest well before the CNY ;-)) I think your mommy dearest will understand even if u are not able to deliver the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cookies look delicious! I Hope u feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They just reported that there has been a sharp spike in flu cases here... You've contributed to the statistics ...go easy on the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my family and i just recovered too! the weather is really bad ): tae good care to enjoy cny! (: anyways, those cookies are nice! i tried before and i had fun! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks J3ss. After a few bottle of chicken essence. The energy seems to be better.

    Allie, you too? Pls take care, this one is very potent.

    Quizzine, Thanks. Cookies are all ready for delivery except Pineapple tarts.

    Thanks Crustabakes, much better now.

    Shirley, yes you are right, my kids and I contributed to those numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Edith,

    Hope you get well soon! I'm down with flu too, it isn't a great feeling, but I'm glad you got up to bake! These are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my family and i just recovered too! the weather is really bad ): tae good care to enjoy cny! (: anyways, those cookies are nice! i tried before and i had fun! (: (:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin