Monday, January 31, 2011

Round three

This might be my final round in making Lunar New Year goodies. Usually I don't have many goodies stock up in my house unless I have an open during the festive season.

For the past two years, it is held at my parents' place. Another big annual gathering will be with my college classmates. Usually it is held in one of the boys' home. This year, it is our turn to host (as they have yet to come by this "old" place) and thus, I needed to prepare more to welcome my guests.

So besides those that I baked for mommy dearest, I think I need to bake some more.

Friends who came to know about my frustration with pineapple tart making the other day, were really sweet. They started to share with me their favourites. Though time will not permit me to try all for this Lunar New Year but I am definitely going to experiment with it all. Thanks so much for sharing with me my dear friends.

First recipe testing out today is from JC. JC and I shared a same passion in food and knitting. She is also a good knitter and had been my teacher when I was knitting shawls for my brother and his family. I wish we can spend more time together but with our kids’ schedules, opportunity is rare. I missed the time we chat and exchange knowledge while waiting for our sons to finish school. This recipe is her favourite and the dough is very easy to handle and I was able to churn out a big batch.

The texture is not melt in the mouth but it has this buttery loose crumbs.

Photobucket

As I have a bag of cornflakes left, I decided to make a batch of Cornflakes cookies as well.

Photobucket

Just went to see a sinseh and she diagnosed me with stomach problem. No wonder I don’t feel strong because my digestion was not functioning! Let’s hope with this medication, I will get my strength back in time for the Lunar New Year.

Cornflake cookies
Recipe adapted from Desserts for the beginners.

What you need:

65g unsalted butter
65g plain flour
45g castor sugar
1 small egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
20g raisins
30g chocolate chips
20g nuts (I omitted)
1 tsp lemon zest
40g cornflake

Method

Preheat oven 180. Line pan.

Sift flour and baking powder.

Whisk butter and sugar till light and fluff.

Add in 1/3 egg, mix well and add in the remaining in two separate portion. Mix well.

Add in flour and blend.

Add in raisins, chocolate and nuts. mix well.

Coat spoonful of dough with crushed cornflakes. Space them 2cm apart.

Bake for 15 mins or till golden brown.

Note: I didn't coat with cornflake, instead I mixed it with the raisin and chocolate chip and place them into mini cupcake liner.

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favourite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) hosted by J3sskitch3n.

Pineapple Tarts (not melt in the mouth but have loose crumbs)
Source: Mrs Leong

A:
565g flour
2 tsp baking powder

340 g butter, chilled

B:
2 tablespoons castor sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 drops of yellow food colouring
1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoon boiling water

Flour for dusting
Cloves

Glaze:
Beat 1 egg and 1 yolk with 2 drops of yellow food colouring

Method:

1. Sift A into a basin

2. Rub butter lightly into flour with tips of fingers till mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

3. Beat B lightly in a bowl.

4. Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture. Add boiling water and mix with both hands to form a pastry dough.

5. Chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.



Print Friendly and PDF

15 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon, Edith.
    It's so rare to find people with the same combination of interests - baking AND knitting! I love knitting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, Don't overwork! I used to knit and crochet. I like your cornflakes cookie. Will give it a try after cny and when all the cookies are gone. Take care. Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith,
    That's good to have another hobby like knitting other than stick in the kitchen. I should find another hobby for myself too :) You've a joyful lunar new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    Wishing you and family a happy, healthy and a prosperous lunar new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEL, thanks. Felt much better after the sinseh visit. Let's find some time this year and share knitting tips. :)

    J, my mom used to crochet too. Do you know how to knit socks? I wanted to learn that. Happy Lunar New YEar to you.

    KC, you won't believe it, I have many hobbies but baking is my greatest passion now. hehehe..

    J, you have a Healthy and Joyous Lunar New Year too. Catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, hope you are getting better now. Wish you and your family a Happy Lunar New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, take good care and rest well! Don't overwork yourself.

    Happy CNY to you and family! Send my regards to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Rabbit Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith,

    Cong Xi Fa Cai. May the year of Rabbit bring you lot's of happiness,love,joy,peace and abundance. Huat Ah......

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the cookies look pretty & delicious.
    Edith, wishing you and your family a Happy & Prosperous Lunar New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pineapple tarts look very cute ;))
    happy lunar new year to u and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cooking and knitting too!! I love your pineapple tarts. Take care, and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess, I am feeling much better. Xin Nian Kuai Le to you too.

    Thanks Pei Lin for your well wishes. Yah, that is why this year, I didn't bake as much as last. You have a good year ahead.

    SSB, Happy New Year to you.

    Thanks AK, may the new year brings you good health.

    Thanks DG, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family as well.

    Quizzine, Gong Hey Fatt choi.

    Ellie, good to know like minded people. Have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edith, I believe your friends and family will appreciate all your great bakes. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Edith,
    Wishing you and family a happy, healthy and a prosperous lunar new year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin