Sunday, January 30, 2011

Let's take a break

Let's take a break from drooling over all those Lunar New Year cookies.

After my dental appointment yesterday, I hoped over to the nearby supermarket. We were greeted by a crowded car park. Luckily hubby came along so we were able to hit the store while he searched for a carpark lot.

I saw some beautifully looking Pork Belly on offer and just couldn't resist them. Roast Pork and Braised Pork Belly were playing in my mind while I wait for my turn to place the order. The thought of smoke bellowing from my spring cleaned kitchen didn't appeal to me though my girl was pointing to a Roast Pork picture at the counter. LOLz.

Finally I decided that I should do 5 spiced Braised Pork Belly. After all, this recipe was tested out twice and it was a huge success in my family. The flavour is rich and not overly intense.

Photobucket

Anyway, I think you really should give this a try if you like Kong Bak Bao(扣肉包)like I do. This is simply an awesome recipe that Sugar and Everything Nice shared there.

Photobucket

Next round, I will try making my own buns.

Recipe adapted from Chez Pim
Serves 5 - 6

What you need:

1.5 kg of pork belly with skin on (If you can find the belly with the rib bones attached, use it (rinse well and pat dry)
2" long knob of ginger, peeled, sliced thinly and but into thin slices, lengthwise
1 1/2 Tbsp Five Spice powder
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce (You can substitute 2 Tbsp regular soy sauce plus 1/2 tbsp brown sugar)
3 Tbsp soy sauce (plus more to taste)
1 piece of cinnamon stick, 2" in length
3 star anise
5 cloves
A small bunch of cilantro leaves for garnish.

Method:

Use a large dutch oven or heavy pot big enough to lay the pork belly inside.

Heat up the oil, then add the ginger and garlic. Then add the five spice powder and other spices. Cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.

Then add the pork, skin side down over the garlic and spices. Add enough water to completely cover the belly and a bit more. Add the dark and light soy sauce.

Put the lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high and bring the pot to a boil. Skim any foamy scum from the top. Then, open the lid slightly, and let simmer over low heat for at least 3 hours (skim occasionally) or until the pork is falling off the bone tender.

Once the belly is ready, remove it from the pot. Then reduce the sauce to a thick, caramel like consistency.

To serve, warm back the pork belly. Slice it thinly and lay on a plate. Drizzle the gravy and garnish with sprigs of cilantro. Alternatively you can serve the pork belly slices with steamed Chinese buns.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. That kong bak pao looks so professionl, like its from some fancy chinese restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Bet my hub would love this. But I'm not going to cook this yet! Perhaps after March, after my med appt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite Chinese dishes to eat, on especially special occasions. I usually won't splurge on pork belly. LOL!

    Gong hey fatt choy! Take care! Enjoy this CNY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin