Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Jam start

My blogging engine seems to have died on me. When I do find the time to turn on the computer, it is usually Facebook that I turned to. Even blog hop and blog reading cannot entice me and to my fellow blogger, I am sorry that I haven’t been dropping by. Is something wrong with me?

Guess it is the unsettling of the school term. I have yet to shake off my holidaying bug and to settle into a routine after a month’s break. Though time tables are already out but the CCA schedules have yet to be determined. For the past one week, with newly added curriculum for my girl, I still need some time to adjust.

My multi tasking mode is still dormant. I can only manage one thing at a time. Geesh... what is happening? I lost focus when I am tasked with too many. Thus, last Sunday, we spent the whole day doing nothing, absolutely nothing. Just lie in front of the TV and watching aimlessly programs after programs. I didn't even have the mood to join hubby in ferrying our kids to their taekwondo lesson.

That is how hopeless I am at this point in time. I just wanted to be a slacker.

After watching my kids struggle with their boring peanut butter sandwiches this morning, I know they are by now sick of having this for breakfast.

Thus I think it is about time I jam start my engine and get moving.

Since I, my good friend rang me yesterday and wanted to learn how to bake a butter cake, I got motivated. A perfect reason for me to hunt for a new reliable recipe isn’t it? I didn’t even go far to get it for I remembered that my good blog buddy, J from Sugar and Everything Nice attempted a Basic Butter Cake baked not too long ago.

Also, I had just reloaded my fridge with some really good butter and so I am, in the late afternoon. After making sure my daughter has completed her homework, I set about to bake. Having good butter is really vital for a good butter cake so go for the best you can afford. The result will definitely not be disappointing.

Photobucket


Once again, my house is perfumed with the goodness of butter and amidst the chilly weather, the warmth of the oven really does wonder to one’s soul.

Verdict: This is really a nice butter cake. It is soft and yet moist. It tasted even better the next day.

Now I am sure I, will like this when we attempt this together next week.

What you need:

Makes one round 20cm cake

250g unsalted butter
100g Sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs (separate the egg yolks and egg whites in 2 clean, dry bowls)
1 1/2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp grated orange zest (I will omit this next round)
200g cake flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
80g sugar (to be added to the egg white)

Method:

Beat the butter and 100g sugar until light and creamy.

Add in the egg yolks one at a time and beat until creamy. Then add in the vanilla extract, orange zest and milk and beat until incorporated.

Fold in seived cake flour, baking powder and salt. Leave aside.

Whisk egg white until foamy. Then add in all the 80g sugar and beat until soft peaks.

Add the egg white in 2 separate additions into the cake batter. Gently fold in the egg whites. Do not overbeat the egg whites as it will result in a dry cake.

Pour into a 20 cm round tin which has been buttered and lined with parchment paper. Bake in pre-heated oven at 175C for about 45 mins or until cake skewer comes out clean. Do not overbake as it will dry out the cake.
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. this butter cake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. butter cake is always suitable for anytime at all. Maybe I should bake myself some too. they look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, when I read about your situation...I felt like it's totally what I am going through, lol! I guess we all need a little adjusting time. Lovely butter cake! The separation of yolk & whites sure will yield a lighter version, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...it's such a beautiful golden yellow colour! I'm sure it's very buttery and fragrant. I'd love to have a piece of this cake! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't baking and cooking too few months back.
    I'm sure you'll be high gear to bake again soon, cos CNY is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's never too late to start! Look, I'm even worst, haven't start anything yet :( that butter cake is a good start for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jess. It is indeed nice.

    Tracie, if not looking for fancy cake, butter cake also satisfy.

    HBS, I am so glad that I am not the only one. Let's motivate each other.

    J, all gone liao.

    Wendy, I think my energy is coming back. "wink wink".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh...it's such a beautiful golden yellow colour! I'm sure it's very buttery and fragrant. I'd love to have a piece of this cake! :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edith,
    I did it, I did it! I finally started on baking. Finally, a decent cake was the end result. All thanks to you for sharing your recipes. My cakes and cookies used to be really hard and end up in the bin. So gave up baking altogether or else waste food again. But after your pancake recipe (which my son really love and no other books on pancake receipes that I have encountered could yield nice pancakes like yours), then the steamed chocolate cake, got me to try baking again after a long time. Baked the butter cake two days ago. Your butter cake is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. EL, I am feeling so much of your excitment righ now. Great to hear that you didn't give up and had enjoyed my tried and tested recipes.

    Thanks for the support and it is really sweet of you to leave a comment. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin