Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Good bye little ones

My little nephews and my sister in law are making their way home today. My brother left last week as he needs to be back at work.

I am glad that we could spend as much time together as possible. They had given me so much joy. It really helps to bond these boys with my kids.

In fact, my youngest nephew who doesn't understand Mandarin or Cantonese at all, is able to identify us by ranking. Yes we are very traditional; we won't address each other by names but rather by rank. For me, I am 姑妈. He is able to rattle off 爷爷,奶奶,二姑妈,小姨 ... at ease these days as compared to a month and a half ago.

For my older nephew, he picks up the Singlish and often teases us with it. He thinks it is cute to speak like that.

I really think this trip is good for both my parents who clearly miss this lot of grandkids.

For me, I am definitely going to miss them to bits. Since they are transiting, I thought a batch of cookies might be able to comfort them.

Let’s hope they remember their 姑妈 when we next meet again.

I have chosen Sables with a coat of colourful sprinklers. Hopefully they will enjoy these.

Till then my little nephews, see you again soon.

Have a safe journey home. I am sure daddy is missing you guys.

Photobucket

As much I tried to make these round, it was tough. I read somewhere that using the core of a kitchen towel roll helps but I didn't have any on hand. Nevertheless, these tasted awesome, again use the best quality butter you can get hold.

Okay I am off to the airport now. I guess my engine is starting to warm up. So stay tuned to more goodies.

Verdict: These are absolutely delicious. Do give this a try.

What you need:

226g unsalted butter, pls use the best quality that you can afford
104g sugar
33g icing sugar, sifted
2g salt
2 large egg yolks
284g plain flour
Decorating sugar

Method:

Cream butter till creamy.

Add in sugar and salt and continue to beat till it is smooth and velvety. (1 min)

Beat in the yolks till it is well combined.

Pour in the flour and at low speed, incorporate it into the batter (5 mins).

Scrape the dough out and gather it into a ball. Divide into two.

Shape each peice into a smooth log (9 inches) and chill it for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degree. Lined baking sheet.

Remove dough. Whisk egg yolk and brush it over the dough. Then sprinkle the entire log with decorating sugar.

Trim ends. Slice the log into 1/3 inch thick but no thicker than 1/2 inch.

Bake for 17 - 20 mins till golden brown.

Cool for a min or two and then transfer gently to cooling rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. I love to see the colourful sprinkles surrounding the cookies, make it so sweet looking and yummy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet looking cookies! I'm sure your nephews will not forget they have such a sweet aunt in SG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!!
    I love how those sprinkles encircle the cookie!

    I have always been proud of our Chinese ranking heritage. Just by one calling, one will know how this person is related to this person. There is no need to say, "He's the son of my grandfather's brother". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks DG.

    Wen, I hope they think so. :)

    Wendy, my granny used to frown upon if we address our uncles by uncle. She said that every street corners are uncles. So I also emphasis this tradition with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NICE! kids love colours and beautiful stuffs. they'll definitely link you up with that and never forget you (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sprinkles really make the cookies look pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin