Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The last 4 years

I haven't seen my only brother and his family for the last four years and it was tough. As they relocated twice, it wasn't easy for them to come home for a visit either. Along the way, I also become an aunt for second time.

Yesterday, it was my first time seeing my youngest nephew who is 3 and he is such a doll. As a stranger, I think he is pretty cool towards me. He even allowed me to shower him!

Last night his brother had a sleep over at my place, a great bonding time with his cousins. As D is only a year younger than my daughter, they clicked really well. Not surprisingly, my son also played well with D.

Having them over for an afternoon of fun makes me wonder whether I should have another child. I know I know... it is impossible but for a moment, I just fantasised that I had one. Kids can bring so much anguish as well as joy and I wanted to just simply focus on their beautiful moments.

I was getting my script ready for Sunday, as my hubby and I were appointed as emcee for the night, I can't help but to feel emotion overwhelmed as my youngest sister who is 13 years my junior is getting married.

I can't help to think how time flies and I am getting older if not wiser.

As for the script, I am delegated to make a speech in Mandarin. It’s sure been a long time since I last speak Mandarin. I really hope I won't fumbled and create an embarrassment on that night.

Since today is going to be an easy day for me. My little one actually requested for waffles as breakfast when she was flipping through some library books that I borrowed. Yes, she has taken an interest in such books and beginning to learn how to read recipes.

Never know how Brown Butter actually taste like, so I decided to make Brown Butter Waffles for our breakfast.

Verdict: Didn't taste any uniqueness to it but nevertheless, it is a nice treat with raspberry sauce and maple syrup.

Photobucket

Recipe source: The Craft of Baking

What you need
:

90g unsalted butter
173g plain flour
61g dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, separated
unsalted butter for waffle iron

Method

Melt butter over medium heat, continue to cook till the butter burns brown and has a nutty fragrance, about 5 mins. Remove from the heat.

Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and egg yolks.

Whisk the wet ingredients together and working them into the dry ingredients until combined.

Add the browned butter and whisk until fully absorbed.

In another bowl, whisk the egg white till soft peaks.

Gentle fold the whites into the batter in two additions.

Lightly brush waffle iron with butter and cook the waffles till golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I'm quite curious about all kind of waffle recipes. I would like to give this a try. Thanks for sharing! Beside, is the waffle turn out crisp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. children are such delights and anguish at times ain't they? as much as i love children whenever i think of having 1 myself makes me stop in my track just got that hesitation also don't know why.
    your waffles looks very yummy! brown butter is a new name to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KC, this waffle is crispy when eaten fresh from the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely waffles! Btw, glad that you have a great reunion with your bro & family. I too had this experience when I was still living in States while my bro in Taiwan. We did not see each other for 7 years!! A lot of mix feelings but still very happy...so I can totally understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope u had a wonderful time with ur nephews.Hope they enjoyed ur waffles.. They might tell to their mom that their aunt is a very good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your waffles remind me of those days when I could be bothered to make them for breakfast. After my waffle maker fused, I did not replace it and hence no more waffles!
    Wonder whether the 'burnt' butter gave any distinctive flavour? Anyway the waffle looks yummy and I like it with ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your waffles remind me of those days when I could be bothered to make them for breakfast. After my waffle maker fused, I did not replace it and hence no more waffles!
    Wonder whether the 'burnt' butter gave any distinctive flavour? Anyway the waffle looks yummy and I like it with ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin