Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Counting down

My son begins his year end school holiday on Monday. Having him at home can be quite a torture as he will either dribble his football around the house or he will be playing with his ping pong. tick tock tick tock..... or he will bounced his tennis ball against the wall. Luckily for my neighbour, we are a stand alone unit and don't have to share a common wall.

With him being home 100% of the day, can be nerve breaking. As he didn't do well for his Math Paper, I asked him to use the time to catch up. Of course this advice gets blown away by the wind. I wonder how I am going to pass these two weeks!!! Already I am having a headache for the last two days.

Well, on a positive note, I shouldn't complain so much as out of the 14 days minus 2 weekends and a public holiday, 4 days in soccer training and 4 hours of Math coaching by his school counsellor (Mr Sim is such a nice guy).

I really must learn to enjoy having him in the house for very soon, my little boy will find his own program. He already started having his own entertainment plan. Just after the exam, he already went for to a movie and a birthday party. Last Sunday, he chose to spend time with his friends on Halloween rather than doing our annual Halloween Parade as a family. Of course as a mom, I felt a little uneasy feel but knowing that he is growing up and needed his space. We obliged to let him go.

Perhaps I will cook dinner with him tomorrow. After all, he does enjoy being in the kitchen and I am sure my little one will be too glad to join in the fun as well.

As for today, I wanted to make some Assorted Donuts. A recipe provided by LearntoBake for this month's challenge.

The dough is very wet and while kneading, I can feel my Kitchen Aid's motor heating up. Decided to knead by hand and on second thought, I don't know whether I am doing it correctly (yah time to go for class next year). Brought out my Kenwood which I think is more reliable for making bread. Though still wet (as compared to bread making), but I think it did pass the stretch test. It proof so beautifully after 40 mins and I was really happy.

I didn't do a good job in cutting it with a donut ring. The cutter that I bought somehow not aligned with the inner ring (I remembered it didn't come cheap for this one as it is stainless steel). Thus I have to pinch off the centre which by then leaves my donut distorted. arrrghhh!

We waited for the final proof before deep frying. Though the frying part was easy, I understand why the commercial method is done in a certain way because keep them round and nice is not that easy as the dough is soft.

We couldn't wait to frost the donut. Did some with colourful sprinkles as my girl insisted, some with chocolate crunch balls which is my favourite, some with dark chocolate which is hubby's favourite and some coated with just icing sugar which is son's favourite.

As I was doing it, I was already thinking of a possibility of having a donut party for kids. I am sure they will have a blast coating the donut with their favourite toppings.

This recipe is really good. It yields a crispy outer skin and a soft and fluffy texture.

Definitely a keeper!!

Photobucket

Note: It is still soft the next day.

What you need:
yield 36 donuts

A)
400g bread flour
100g cake flour
10g instant yeast

B)
80g castor sugar
10g salt
20g milk powder

C)
50g egg
250g Cold water

D)
100g butter, softened

Method

Mix A, add in B and C into a mixing bowl and using a dough hook, mix for 5 mins at medium speed.

Add in D and further knead for 10 -15 mins till it is smooth and elastic (stretch test).

Leave dough in oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap. Proof for 40 mins till double in volume.

Floured table and roll the dough to 1 - 1.5cm thick. Rest for another 10 mins.

Using a donut cutter, cut out the dough and transfer the donut to a tray. Allow to rest for further 30 mins to allow the donut to rise.

Heat oil to around 160 - 170 deg celsius and deep fry the donut to golden brown (both sides). Drain and let it cool before frosting with your favourite toppings.
Print Friendly and PDF

23 comments:

  1. Good Morning Edith, I love your donuts with all that toppings. Really good for kids party. Would like to bookmark this recipe for the school holidays :)
    Thanks for leaving your nice comment in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anncoo, thanks for dropping by. I think the kids will have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colourful & yummy looking doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith,
    You're so lucky that your boy like to stay in the kitchen with you and I'm sure the little one will definitely join in. That's so fun to play in the kitchen with mum, for me it is! You've made many different toppings for the donut! That's very good try. I'm still looking for an opportunity to make it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith, the donuts look so tempting, I will pick the one with chocolate crunch ball, next will be sugar coated, yum yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good job dressing up the doughnuts! My grandsons would go for the chocolate ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith!

    The donuts look FANTASTIC! Doesn't look out of shape at all!

    I've stayed away from bread making and anything to do with yeast for a long time, now you're itching me to give it go! =pp

    ReplyDelete
  8. THanks DG.

    KC, I hope this interest last till he gets married. hahaha

    Jess, my favourite is the chocolate balls!

    Busygran, make some with your grandson. I am sure he will enjoy it.

    Youfei, I am slllllooowly picking up breadmaking. Next one I want to try will be the tang zho method.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe I hAve 2 donut cutters and have never made donuts yet... I should probably make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the donuts look very professional!i am really loving the one with the chocolate balls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Both you and Bee Bee have made shared something deep-fried. I do take deep-fried food ... but am reducing simultaneously, too ... I'm aging lar ... HAHA!

    I love soft donuts! I'd pick the one with choc coating and choc balls. That one actually caught my eyes first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a sucker for doughnuts! Love all those toppings...tempting me to make some myself...but abit lazy to fry, lol! Thanks for sharing this, will make it with my kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your blog. I wish to be you one day. To bake and cook for everybody.

    I visit your blog every time when I am stress and it does help me release stress :-D

    Thanks for the awesome blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Edith,

    Yr doughnut look great! I'm not good in deep frying food! Wondering if its still good if I baked them with hight heat in oven?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Edith, would you believe that donuts have been running around in my head for the last couple of days. I don't know why but after seeing your pics I want to make a batch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delicious set of Doughnuts!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! Both you and Bee Bee have made shared something deep-fried. I do take deep-fried food ... but am reducing simultaneously, too ... I'm aging lar ... HAHA!

    I love soft donuts! I'd pick the one with choc coating and choc balls. That one actually caught my eyes first!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THanks DG.

    KC, I hope this interest last till he gets married. hahaha

    Jess, my favourite is the chocolate balls!

    Busygran, make some with your grandson. I am sure he will enjoy it.

    Youfei, I am slllllooowly picking up breadmaking. Next one I want to try will be the tang zho method.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Edith,
    You're so lucky that your boy like to stay in the kitchen with you and I'm sure the little one will definitely join in. That's so fun to play in the kitchen with mum, for me it is! You've made many different toppings for the donut! That's very good try. I'm still looking for an opportunity to make it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hai I would like try this doughnut very badly but I got a big doubt u asked to add the cold water will it not kill the yeast? Is it ok if I add the Lukewarm water plz clarify the doubt thank u in advance

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hai I would like try this doughnut very badly but I got a big doubt u asked to add the cold water will it not kill the yeast? Is it ok if I add the Lukewarm water plz clarify the doubt thank u in advance

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Shameema and Shabana, Sorry for the delay as I overlooked. I think it is okay if you add lukewarm water.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin