Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Simple food

My kids love porridge. Once a while, my hubby will also request for this. I guess too much rich food sometime makes us crave for simple food.

I learnt how to cook porridge from my mom. She has this skill of cooking porridge that has this thick and velvety texture. She is so good at it that I don’t recall her burning her congee. Her trick was NOT TO STIR it. Simply let it simmer. Easy as it sounds but I still get a 60% chance of burning my pot. So I still have a long way to go.

My kids love grandma’s porridge and grew up with it, that they frown upon Teochew porridge.

I remembered our first visit to a Teochew Porridge stall. My son refused to eat it as he said it is not porridge. It is just rice with water.

For my porridge, I usually used broth instead of water. I will cook a big pot of stock and have it deep freeze. I find that it is so much more flavourful this way.

For this particular day, we decided that plain white porridge will go very well with Kokken's Braised Mushroom meat sauce that I had prepared last week. Her meat sauce looks so divine that it is hard to pass this. Thus, when I had sometime on hand, I cooked it without knowing how to pair it. Thus I decided to deep freeze it just to standby.

Matching this was by instinct, but I have no regrets. It was simply delicious.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Photobucket
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. I love porridge! A bowl of this is delish enough to made me crave for it. Looks really flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To stir or not to stir the porridge, I think is depending on the pot used. If using regular single layer stainless steel pot, you'll regret it if you didn't stir once a while.
    clay pots and layered stainless steel pots might be fine.

    My grandaunt taught me to put in a ceramic spoon into the pot when cooking porridge, the spoon acts as a auto stirrer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook my porridge with frozen stock too. As I cook with my AMC pots, I simmer it on low without stirring too, so far so good.

    Looking at your pic makes me crave for one bowl now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple & delicious... Perfect lunch for me. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hearty Bakes, it is indeed very flavourful. Try it.

    Wendy, for my mom, it doesn't matter which type of pot. She just had a way to cook it PERFECT!

    Yes I heard about the spoon trick but never tried it.

    BH, we don't have that pot at home. hehe.. and don't think I want to buy more pots. I already have 4 sets at home which unfortunately is not AMC.


    HSB, try Kokken's recipe. It is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edith, glad you got to make this. There are so many ways to eat the minced meat sauce - with noodles, on an omelete, with porridge - the possibilities are endless... I will need to make more and keep them frozen in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice porridge! I love porridge!
    Edith, agree that kokken's meat sauce is good with porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like porridge too especially after lots of heavy food. For Teoh Chew porridge, I think I have the same thought as your boy, it's just like rice mix with water hahaha.. I think I still like those baby porridge :P or congee.
    I like your way of using frozen stock to cook porridge, it must be very tasty and flavorful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks good, I love porridge with simple dish like pickles and braised mince meat, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shirley, this is going to be a permanent frozen item from now on. So handy.

    Busygran, this is great isn't it?

    KC, so my boy isn't the only one with this perspective. LOLz.

    Jess, when I was young, my mom always had this veg pickle. I like the crunch but these days, I tried to refrain from eating it. Never crave for it. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was jerlac of eating porridge daily for lunch when young, I love porridge now but not my Cantonese hubby. My elder boy would tell me that he's not sick when he see porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shirley, this is going to be a permanent frozen item from now on. So handy.

    Busygran, this is great isn't it?

    KC, so my boy isn't the only one with this perspective. LOLz.

    Jess, when I was young, my mom always had this veg pickle. I like the crunch but these days, I tried to refrain from eating it. Never crave for it. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith, glad you got to make this. There are so many ways to eat the minced meat sauce - with noodles, on an omelete, with porridge - the possibilities are endless... I will need to make more and keep them frozen in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hearty Bakes, it is indeed very flavourful. Try it.

    Wendy, for my mom, it doesn't matter which type of pot. She just had a way to cook it PERFECT!

    Yes I heard about the spoon trick but never tried it.

    BH, we don't have that pot at home. hehe.. and don't think I want to buy more pots. I already have 4 sets at home which unfortunately is not AMC.


    HSB, try Kokken's recipe. It is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin