Saturday, October 09, 2010

My last party for 2010

I am hosting a pot luck party for some close girlfriends. Tonight's party might be my last for 2010. After tonight, I don't think I will have time to host another one till next year.

We have been talking about a gathering since last year and it never happened. Or should I say we did try but our busy schedules kept having us to reschedule and reschedule till we decided to stay firm to it.

With H going for a second baby real soon, I guess this is the perfect timing for a gathering.

As usual, my contribution is dessert. I didn't have time to plan what I wanted to bake or prepare yesterday as I had a sudden dinner appointment then a girl friend came over and stayed late into the night. This morning is the usual Saturday routine for the kids. Thus I didn't get to think about it till while waiting for the kids and browsing a recipe book for idea.

When my son heard that it is a pot luck dinner, he too said he wanted to contribute an item and that will be his by now famous Baked Rice. It gotten lots of praises from the aunties, even fussy eater Baby S was eating it happily.

Photobucket

Son, good job!

As for me, decided to just make a peach tart and some chocolate cupcakes.

I only get to go about it after all my "duties" are done for the kids. At 4pm, I was still weighing out my ingredients when H came. I was trying so hard to focus and not to miss an item while talking her.

I had fun preparing this lovely Peach Tart. It was well liked by my friends and kids.

Photobucket

I didn't have time to do a chocolate butter cream for the Supreme Chocolate cupcake.

Photobucket

The reason why I attempted this recipe was the uniqueness of the recipe and I was eager to find out the texture of the cake. It would have been nice if I had the time to prepare the buttercream.

Overall texture is soft, fluffy and very chocolaty which I like. Next round, I will pair it off buttercream.

The evening ended just so beautifully. As usual, lots of laughter and fun time talking about the “been there done that”.

We promised each other that we will have to do this more often.

H, have a safe delivery for the new baby.

S, enjoy your Japan trip.

L, hope to hear good news from you, hopefully by next year.

Cheers to friendship!

Adapted from Sweetness by Sarah Levy

What you need:

57g cocoa powder
1/3 cup boiling water
106g cake flour
250g castor sugar (I reduce this to 200g)
2 1/8 tsp baking powder
167g unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1.5 tbsp vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 F

Combine cocoa powder and boiling water to form a paste. Set aside.

Sift together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.

Whisk eggs and vanilla extract together. Add a third of the cocoa mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk till all incorporated.

Add the remaining cocoa mixture and the butter to the dry ingredients mixture and mix together for 1.5 mins.

Add the cocoa egg mixture to the cocoa dry ingredients mixture in 2 separate addition. Mixing for 30 seconds between each addtiion. Ensure all the cocoa egg mixture is well blended.

Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full.

Bake for 20 min.
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. i've been thinking a lot about making baked rice. would your son like to share how he makes his 'special' bake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the strussels on top of the peach tart, but the most important thing is that you had a good time with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all looks delicious especially the baked rice, Edith, you are a lucky mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy time you and your friends must have had! The baked rice and the baked goodies look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so great you hosted the gathering, it's good to hear friends doing fine, isn't it :)
    you son is a wonderful cook (like his mom :). btw, E, I see your cupcake have a pretty dome shape too. About mine you just saw in my latest post, actually there were quite a few with a flappy top though :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Javapot, can you give me till end week to post the recipe? I am very busy this week.

    Cookie, yes strussels can be very addictive (at least for me).

    Jess, I hope he will take over the kitchen when he is older. haha... My gal already wanted to inherit all my baking wares. hahaha

    Busygran, Yes it was very good. Sincere friendship matters to me most.

    G, though it is dome but it cracked! So I am still finding looking for the secret to the PERFECT dome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow,what a great host, i am sure ur friends enjoyed the party with all the delicious food. i would definitely make a beeline for the streusl peach tart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you had fun with your ladies. Both you and your son are really good cooks/bakers!

    A lot of times, when efforts aren't made, we can lose touch with many people who were once a part of our lives ... as time passes by. Sad ... This is happening to me ... Haiz ... Though, I'm much, much more junior than you are ... =S

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just had baked rice for dinner tonight. Your son did such a great job! I'm sure you must be really proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...what a feast. Love the baked rice. Your friends and family are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. crustabake, thanks.

    Pei Lin, Actually friendship takes both ways. I have friends who always take from me and never give and by then i am just too tired to deal with it anymore. I am actually happy that the relationship grew distance.

    BH, yes I am indeed proud of him. Hope he will be more adventurous in the future.

    thanks Zoe for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bake is always so nice.

    May I know which brand of the oven you are using? I'm sourcing for a new oven now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son looks like a chef in the making - the baked rice looks delicious. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just had baked rice for dinner tonight. Your son did such a great job! I'm sure you must be really proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...what a feast. Love the baked rice. Your friends and family are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad that you had fun with your ladies. Both you and your son are really good cooks/bakers!

    A lot of times, when efforts aren't made, we can lose touch with many people who were once a part of our lives ... as time passes by. Sad ... This is happening to me ... Haiz ... Though, I'm much, much more junior than you are ... =S

    ReplyDelete
  17. all looks delicious especially the baked rice, Edith, you are a lucky mum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin