Monday, September 13, 2010

Vegetarian?

There will be an event coming up in October and my role is to find a tofu recipe. This "job" was long overdue for many reasons. First my computer crashed, then I fell ill, followed by the school holiday. I didn't get a chance to go to the library till Satursday.

Thinking I will definitely find the answer there but I was so wrong. First, I can't find any resources from the English section. Since the target group will be Asian, I thought I should try the Chinese section cook books. I was wrong again, it was so tough. Though I didn't fare badly for Chinese during school days. It was so difficult to locate a book on tofu. In the end, I tried the vegetarian category and only found one pathetic book. Even that, there were only two tofu recipes in it.

I tried out one today as the rule for the recipe is simplicity. Crispy Tofu 香脆豆腐is great if it is eaten hot but unfortunately I doubt this will be a good recipe to use for the event.

Thus, I quickly sent an sms to J asking for help as she said she has a book on tofu.

I modify the recipe a little to add more taste to it and also done some changes to the dipping sauce as I find the taste weak.

Enjoy.

Photobucket

Recipe source: 时尚中式蔬菜

What you need:

2 beancurd, cut into 12
1 egg, beaten
180g plain flour
stalk of spring onion (optional)

Seasoning

minced garlic
3 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
chilli padi

Method:

Blanch the beancurd with hot water for 1 min. Drain and dry.

Add them into beaten eggs and then coat with flour. Shake off excess.

Deep fried for about 3 - 4 mins till golden brown. Remove and drain off excess oil.

Serve with dipping sauce.
Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. These are nicely fried and will go well with the sweet Thai chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seemed like tofu coated with cornflakes and fried? or Steel cut rolled oats??

    I can't wait to see the "event" this dish is for. You'll blog about it right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy...how do u cook it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, you should have told me! I have at least 3 books all dedicated to tofu! This looks yummy but I hope it won't be too much work... I am considering to change my meat dish to minced meat sauce because this be made before hand and frozen....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith, the tofu looks delicious, I simply adore any tofu :). I am searching for dessert recipe too, going to have a trial on this Sun, hope got the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am vegetarian a couple days a week (religious reasons)...you can always adapt a thai/indian dish to be vegetarian pretty easily too.
    Your tofu looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tofu is my favourite dish. This is very nicely done and looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey edith,

    your tofu reminds me of agedashi tofu served in restaurants. taste real good when dipped in the appropriate sauces.. yum yumm

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can try making 紅燒豆腐, I adapted and have been using this recipe since my days in the U.S. It's from Angie of Taste of Home. Very good! Good with steamed rice!

    http://dodol-mochi.blogspot.com/2009/08/braised-tofu-preserved-radish-shrimp.html

    Pan-fried/deep-fried tofu sounds feasible ... I wonder the crisp will survive long enough due to the waiting and whatnot at the event!!?? (Well, I dunno how it's gonna be run.) I doubt steamed tofu dishes are good idea ... After all, for most Chinese dishes, it's about serving them fresh off the stove ... piping hot!

    Edith, heard a little bit about the event. Can't wait to read more about it from you all the organizers!

    Have fun! It's meaningful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha Busygran, I should have eaten with that.

    Wendy, it is merely a dab of plain flour.

    MeRy, sorry for the delay, recipe posted.

    Shirley, thanks for fwding me the recipe.

    Jess, every friday, tofu is one of our staple food.

    Indie. tea, have yet to try my hand on Indian cuisine.

    Yummy Koh, same as my family. WE love tofu.

    ZY, agedashi tofu ? strangely we never order this when we dine at Jap rest. DOn't ask me why.

    Pei Lin, One of these days, I will attempt your 紅燒豆腐.

    I am also excited about this event.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey edith,

    your tofu reminds me of agedashi tofu served in restaurants. taste real good when dipped in the appropriate sauces.. yum yumm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am vegetarian a couple days a week (religious reasons)...you can always adapt a thai/indian dish to be vegetarian pretty easily too.
    Your tofu looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith, you should have told me! I have at least 3 books all dedicated to tofu! This looks yummy but I hope it won't be too much work... I am considering to change my meat dish to minced meat sauce because this be made before hand and frozen....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks yummy...how do u cook it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin