Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Long time ago

Long time ago, I worked in town but yet it is not easily accessible to any other food outlets except a small cafe and a food court.

Only when bosses are not around and we have colleagues who drive, then we get a treat. If not, we lived with the only food source available and that is the food court. Not a big one but good enough for all.

Come to think about it. Though it is small, food served there were pretty good. My hot favorites were the chwee kueh, mee rebus, soto ayam and nasi padang. I know the rest were good as well but right now, I can't recall. My Filipina colleagues will swear by the chicken rice. Some of them can eat it on a daily basis.

I introduced these little Asian cuppies to my kids not too long ago and they have since loved it and never failed to order them if given a choice.

So today I am giving this a go with homemade Chwee Kueh.

Verdict: Not up to what I expected. I need to fine tune it as I find the texture not soft enough. Also the radish toppings will be nice without the dried shrimps.

Thus, if you have a better recipe, please feel to buzz me. Thanks.

Recipe adapted from Jas's Kitchen.

Photobucket

What you need:

180g rice flour
25g corn flour
800ml water
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp salt

Method:

Add the two flours into a bowl and with 300 ml water. Mix to form a smooth batter. Strain.

Bring remaining (500ml) water, oil and salt to boil. Reduce to low heat.

Pour in batter and stir constantly till it thickens. Stir constantly to remove as much lumps as possible.

Grease a few chwee kueh moulds. Pour the mixture into each mould and place it on steamer. Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 10 minutes.

Remove from mould and spread topping over it.

Serve hot with radish topping.

Radish topping

What you need:

200g chai poh
50g dried scrimps, grind
7 tbsp oil1 whole garlic, minced
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp white sesame seeds. roasted

Method:

Soak the chai poh and scrimps separately for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain well.

Heat oil and sauté the garlic till golden brown.

Add in the dried scrimps fry till fragrant.

Add in the chai poh and stir-fry till dry.

Finally add in the sugar and lastly the roasted sesame seeds
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Oh I like this kueh and try to make it too but my first attempt was not good so till now I still prefer stall bought one. Seems like I got to try it out again with your recipe as your version looks great with the flavorful toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Shirley doing this kuih twice.
    Maybe you can check out hers.

    Here in Malaysia, we call this Woon Chai Gou 碗仔糕

    ReplyDelete
  3. The topping looks good! Will mail you recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, my Teochew mom loves this to bit, especially the topping. I tried making this when I was in the States since I craved for it.

    Yup, like what Wendy said, in Malaysia, we call it "woon zai gou" (碗仔糕) in Cantonese. However, I think the 菜脯 topping here is a little saltier than Singaporean one. I think SG version is slightly sweeter. Maybe it's my taste-bud problem.

    @Wendy: It's 仔 = zai ... not "chai" lar ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith, I have 2 recipes on my blog. Have tried both but you can have a look and see which you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still have a set of chwee kueh moulds at home...they were bought in the early 80s. I should really try making these...as the stall I used to frequent since I was 7 yrs old was closed, the old couple had since retired. I like visiting your blog, somehow, reading your posts always bring back very fond memories, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's like a distant memory about working life and lunching out with colleagues. :) although these chwee kueh may look small and simple, the perfect texture is not easy to make for sure! I have attempted twice, the latter one was better. Feel free to check the recipe on my blog Edith. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it's like a distant memory about working life and lunching out with colleagues. :) although these chwee kueh may look small and simple, the perfect texture is not easy to make for sure! I have attempted twice, the latter one was better. Feel free to check the recipe on my blog Edith. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I like this kueh and try to make it too but my first attempt was not good so till now I still prefer stall bought one. Seems like I got to try it out again with your recipe as your version looks great with the flavorful toppings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin