Sunday, September 12, 2010

End of the long week

Time and tide wait for no time. This phrase is often quoted by my hubby when he lectures our son on time management.

It is so true. This one week zapped past so fast. It was a very turbulence one week but I am glad that a brand new week is coming.

Though exam is just round the corner but at least, the kids are back into a routine and so am I. I had taken my last asthma attack as a sign to take a step back in "grooming" my son. From now on, I will let God take over.

I am looking forward to the new week. Besides fulfilling Cupcake Fantasies' commitments, I am having some girly time with V and then follow by an invitation that I will talk about it later.

At least I have some "ME" time and some peace at home in the morning.

I do feel guilty not fully utilising this week long holiday with the kids. Besides bringing them out for a day at the beach, and a little swim in the pool with my little one. We basically holed up in the house for the whole week. Thankfully, hubby is around to "entertain" the kids in the evening.

Initially wanted to make some Ang Ku Kueh but I totally forgotten the sweet potatoes that I needed to buy. Thus this idea is shelved. Talking about this, I had a hard time finding banana leaves. I really missed those days when I was staying in Seletar. Plucked from the wild and into the kitchen.

Next on my list is Ban Chan Kueh. I used to live in Marine Parade when I was 9 - 17. I love walking to the hawker centre to get my freshly made Ban Chan Kueh. I usually asked for the edge portion as it is crispy. Unfortunately this type of food business is no longer a common scene these days. Now it is run by franchise which is all prepacked and the peanut filling is more like peanut paste than the authentic ones.

Photobucket

So here I am preparing something that I cherish during my childhood which was so simple.

I was sure about this recipe thus I actually cut it by half. Next round I will follow exactly to create a thicker pancake.

Photobucket

Sorry, I didn't take down the book title for this but it is a locally produced book by seahorse.

What you need:

340g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp alkaline water (avail in baking supply shop)_
2 cup water
1 cup milk

Filling
50 sugar
100 roasted peanut (coarsely chopped)

Method

Mix all ingredient except the fillings with whisk to get a smooth batter. Let it rest for 15 mins.

Heat up a non stick frying pan and add a ladle of batter. Spread evenly. Batter will start to bubble and sides starts to crisp.

*Once cooked, removed from pan and onto cutting board. Spread fillings and fold into half.

Serve hot.

*Note: Alternatively you can sprinkler sugar into batter and cooked till sugar dissolved. Add in ground peanut and fold into half.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. The photos looks good, I bet it taste even better. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that time and tide wait for no man. I was just telling myself that when I woke up late and realised that I now have less time to do all the things I wanted to do today.

    Your pancake looks yummy, I like mine with tau sa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know although I spend 24-7 with my kids, going libraries, parks, swimming, shopping etc, I still feel I didn't spend enough time with them. I am sure no matter what you do with them, they appreciate it. Don't be too hard on yourself, take care of yourself and then you will have more strength with your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, isn't it? Time just zapped by in a flash! One week school holiday is gone. I'm stuck with my kids at home for the whole week because of my kid's HFMD. My holiday plan had to abolish. At least you still get to spend some quality time with them.
    Your peanut pancake is really good. Looks so much like those I bought outside. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks nice and chewy : D i miss eating ban chan kui! i haven't eaten it for a long long time. its part of my childhood too!! haha seems like there's hardly any generation gap. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you feel when you mention about taking a step back in grooming you son. It is like holding sand in our hands, we know that we shouldn't hold it too tightly, but yet, we fear that if we hold it loosely, we may lose it totally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Christine, I will check that out.

    BL, I love mine with tau sar too. You know those round thick pancake. These days, those are hard to find too. The one I know always sold out by the time I go.

    J, speedy recovery to yr kids. Lots of liang cha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SSoL, my son was already telling me he and I have generation gap. LOLz.

    HHB, I love the way you phrase it, you got my sentiment 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SSoL, my son was already telling me he and I have generation gap. LOLz.

    HHB, I love the way you phrase it, you got my sentiment 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks nice and chewy : D i miss eating ban chan kui! i haven't eaten it for a long long time. its part of my childhood too!! haha seems like there's hardly any generation gap. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos looks good, I bet it taste even better. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin