Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Temptation

My hubby is a 100% Teochew but unfortunately, I don't get to eat any authentic Teochew cuisine in his household as his mom is better in cooking Malay cuisine. If it is not by blood, they can be mistaken as Peranakan as his family is well versed with Malay rather than Mandarin.

Anyway, though I am not a Teochew, I enjoy Or Nee very much. Perhaps it has got to do with my sweet tooth.

I always wanted to attempt this dessert but because I heard so much about the tedious preparation, I held back. Thus we only eat this when we visit a Teochew Restaurant. Yes sometime, you can find this in dessert stall at Food Court but those are really crappy stuff.

Once I chanced upon a factory in Woodlands selling it in pre packed form. The quality is good but just to drive up North to get a few tubs is not cost effective and I don't have enough freezer space to freeze up more.

Thus when I saw Kokken's doing it, I just couldn't resist the temptation any longer. Coincidentally, I saw some fresh looking yam at a mini mart near my place. I was too excited that I didn’t even bother to check whether it is from Thailand or Malaysia. At S$4/kg, I seriously don't know whether this is costly or not. Since I couldn’t remember how much she used, I got a kilo half. Just in case, didn’t want to risk driving out and get caught with the morning traffic.

After skinning and dicing, I steamed the yam instead of boiling it and the result it yield about 1300g. Getting it mashed and blended with the rest of the ingredients was easy. Now the hard part, I didn't have a potato ricer or a mouli grater (gosh, where can I buy one). Get the mashed yam to go through a fine sieve was so hard. Blessed that my new helper is really efficient. She took over after seeing me struggling with it.

Luckily it rained and change the whole weather completely. If not, I cannot guarantee my sweat will not "accidentally" be added into this wonderful or nee.

I swear that I will need to desperately source for that potato ricer, afterall, we ate potato mash really frequently so I am darn sure it won't be an white elephant item. Talking about it, I think Seadragon mentioned this gadget and I did tried looking for it but with no luck. So friends out there, if you know where I can get one in Singapore, please buzz me.

Tonight hubby is coming home and I think he will be pleased to have this before his bedtime. LOLz. No worries, this is controlled oil and controlled fat. I know it will taste far better with 100% coconut cream but since I am not big fan of it and now that I can control the recipe, I deducted it by 50% and top the rest with milk.

Nevertheless, thanks Shirley, more Or Nee from this household from now on.

Photobucket

What you need:

600g Yam (boiled and mashed*)
100g Canola Oil
100g Coconut Cream (I used milk)
60g Sugar
Pinch Salt

Method :

1. Steam yam until soft. Mashed this up coarsely with a fork then proceeded to grind it further with a blender or mouli grater. Measure out 600g of this grated mashed yam.

2. Place (1) in a mixer fitted with a paddle mixer. Start mixing the mashed yam at medium speed. Slowly drizzle in Canola oil until smooth and well incorporated.

3. Transfer (2) into a saucepan and start heating over low heat. Add milk in 5 additions. Stirring well to incorporate totally after each addition.

4. Add in a pinch of salt. Lastly, add in sugar and continue to stir over fire until all sugar dissolves.

5. Push (4) through a fine sieve to get the final smooth creamy yam paste.

6. Serve with syrup marinated gingko nuts.
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. Hey, Edith! You subbed milk for half the coconut cream! Still turned out good I suppose, except it lacks a little coconutty kick there. You're damn efficient! LOL! I'll eventually make or-nee but not now. Shirley let me try hers, it was VERY good! So smooth and creamy. Not greasy at all! It was like calling me for a second helping, but I stopped right there because I already stuffed myself too much with shrimp noodles earlier. LOL! I bet my Teochew mom would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Ikea has potato ricer. Try to get one there.

    I'm sure Shirley's version is much nicer than traditional versions, due to the presence of coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, I am so tempting to try especially after seeing your post but thinking of the tedious work, I am hesitating, dun think my helper can be as helpful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice with the gingko.I am the only one in the family who eats this. I love or-nee but got to refrain from eating it often. If I use all milk, maybe I can eat more! But then the taste will be compromised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Pei Lin, since I am no coconut lover, this works very well for me. Not too overdose with that coconut taste. I am not that efficient lah, I am blessed with an efficient maid. I was struggling at first but when she took over, it seems all so easy. I agree with it. It is nice.

    Wendy, Ikea has them? I will pop by one of these day to check it out. For sure I don't buy baking pan from them coz it rust very easily.

    Seriously I don't know how the traditional ones taste like but most of the restaurant I goes to, has this hinge of coconut. The difference is how much I can take it.

    I will let my hubby decide coz he is a coconut lover but he is too full to have it tonite. :(

    Jess, if you get that mouli grater or Potato ricer, it might be easier. I tried it on a blender, it was still not smooth.

    Busygran, where are you putting up coz I have a whole big tub now and my two kids refused to eat it. So only two of us are having it. Want some? Mine is 50% coconut and 50% milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you made the Or Nee too! Looks real creamy! No wonder you say you were panting away, lol ! Will do try it too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith,
    Or Nee is really something new to me! I wish I have the passion to make it one day. Urrr... seems like I have lack of passion to do anything recently. Well, wait for any chances to drop by any bloggers house and request for this Or Nee for me to try :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love eating Or Nee.. I had one in Melaka before it was very very very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really amazed with the amount of stuff you churn out from the kitchen. I love baking but trying to consume my creations can sometimes be a headache. I try to refrain myself and my hubby from eating them too often since it's too much for our metabolism and it's unhealthy. My elder daughter used to be my biggest supporter but with her moving out staying in hostel now, I've less people at home consuming it. I always gave them away to colleagues, neighbors and siblings but sometimes, I get tired of doing such an act. A couple of times, I needed to ask my maid to distribute some to her friends.. Just wonder how you managed to finish all of it ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey Bee, it was tough but luckily i have got an efficient maid now. she took over after seeing me struggled with it. hahaha

    KC, rest well and rebuild your energy. that is more impt.

    Swee san thanks for dropping by. Strangely I never eaten this in Melacca. Will try when I up there again some day.

    Cynthia, thanks for dropping by. Actually I don't really churned out many stuff. Usually I halved the quantity or I share this with neighbours and friends.

    In the past, I enjoyed doing this because my neighbours also like me. They will share too.

    With this new neighbourhood, peole are not so friendly so I tend to share more with friends instead.

    Then again, it is quite normal when kids grow up, the mom will bake and cook less as this happened to my mom. Thus I will expect the same for me many years down the road. As for now, my family is the greatest supporters to what I churned out from the kitchen and that matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though you said it's controlled oil and fat it looks good and creamy as well.

    Nice meeting you during the blogger's gathering that day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Edith,

    Yeah, sometimes we need to push ourself to try out new recipe esp. the tough ones. I suppose yr hard work paid off. Nothing beats home cook ones.
    Yeah, Ikea sell it or u can try Sia Huat @ temple street, they may have a giant one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith, I just saw this! This looks just as good without the ricer! But - get the ricer, I believe you can feel the difference. Mine has an almost mousse like texture. It is very satisfying to see the recipe work :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honey Bee, it was tough but luckily i have got an efficient maid now. she took over after seeing me struggled with it. hahaha

    KC, rest well and rebuild your energy. that is more impt.

    Swee san thanks for dropping by. Strangely I never eaten this in Melacca. Will try when I up there again some day.

    Cynthia, thanks for dropping by. Actually I don't really churned out many stuff. Usually I halved the quantity or I share this with neighbours and friends.

    In the past, I enjoyed doing this because my neighbours also like me. They will share too.

    With this new neighbourhood, peole are not so friendly so I tend to share more with friends instead.

    Then again, it is quite normal when kids grow up, the mom will bake and cook less as this happened to my mom. Thus I will expect the same for me many years down the road. As for now, my family is the greatest supporters to what I churned out from the kitchen and that matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Edith,

    Yeah, sometimes we need to push ourself to try out new recipe esp. the tough ones. I suppose yr hard work paid off. Nothing beats home cook ones.
    Yeah, Ikea sell it or u can try Sia Huat @ temple street, they may have a giant one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love eating Or Nee.. I had one in Melaka before it was very very very nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin