Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Preserved food

I guess all cultures be it Western or Asian, there are plenty of preserved foods. We have preserved prunes, plums, tomatoes, seafood, vegetables and anything you think of, can be preserved.

I am actually not a vivid fan of such food. To me, I can get fresh food why would I want preserved food? Especially those preserved titbits! Gosh, there are so many varieties out there.

Having said that, I am not sure about Western culture's cuisine but for Asian, there are plenty of preserved foods. We have preserved prunes, plums, vegetables and anything you think of, can be preserved.

I am actually not a vivid fan of such food. To me, I can get fresh food why would I want preserved food? Especially those preserved titbits! Gosh, there are so many varieties out there.

Having said that, I was craving for one particular soup and that is Dried Vegetable with Salted fish head (醎鱼头菜干汤). I grabbed a packet of Dried Vegetable (白菜干) the other day and I didn't know it is so difficult to obtain the salted fish head. I gave up searching for it and was about to threw it away when I saw a recipe in a Japanese magazine that uses dried vegetable as well.

In the end, I substituted it with pork instead. It didn't satisfy my craving but at least I got rid of the packet of dried vegetable and it didn't taste that bad.

So here is my Dried Vegetable with pork Soup.

Photobucket

What you need:

Dried Vegetable (白菜干)
Pork Ribs (I used lean meat)
Honey dates (according to the sweetness you prefered)
Water

Method

Soak dried vegetable for 1 hour and wash thoroughly (especially between the leaves)

Blanched pork.

Boil water and add in the pork, dried vegetable and honey dates.

Bring to a brisk boil and lower heat and let it simmer for 1.5 hours.

Transfer to thermos pot to further cook it. If you don't have a thermos, continue for another 1/2 hour.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Edith, me too I am not a fan of preserved food. But I love salted fish and I occasionally have a craving for tofu and salted vegetable soup!

    I also like szechuan preserved vegetable - but that's more or less about it.

    I know that many Chinese dishes call for certain preserved condiments and I hope to get over my phobia of them one day to better prepare Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask someone to bring you salted fish head from Malaysia.
    Abundant at wet markets dry section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BL, oh I love tofu with salted veg and it sure been a long time since I had that. Szechuan veg is also nice with Pork and that too was a long time ago. Making a check list to get them from my next grocery shopping.

    There are moments I tell myself, what the heck, life is short just dig in. LOLz.

    Wendy, mmmm.... the one person i know coming down won't have time to go shopping for me lah. I will pick it up the next time when I am up there. (which I don't know when hahahha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, I love preserved pickles leh to go with white porriage keekeekee... next time I go Msia wil let u know, see can get the salted fish head for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jess. I don't go up North as often as we like anymore :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin