Saturday, August 28, 2010

Flaky

Recently I borrowed a very good book from the library. As it is a new book, I was made to count the pages before I am allowed to loan it. Goodness, it was a tough job as I have left my reading glasses at home and reading fine print these days is like blindfolding me and asking me to walk on the road.

Anyway, it took me ages to go through those 200 odd pages but it was all worthwhile. I only had those IDIOTIC selfish people who ripped off pages of library books to blame for this policy.

If they have been a nicer people or less cheapo and just photocopied those recipes that they liked, and thinks about others who borrowed the books, returning home thinking that they will have a good read but to their dismay, found many recipes being torn out. The upset feelings and a sense of pity that many pages are missing from a good book, I believe this policy will never be in placed.

Okay enough of my rambling about self centred Singaporeans. Better channel my energy into this wonderful recipe that I wanted to share with you all before this page get ripped off again and you don't get a chance to try it when you managed to get your hand on this book.

As the author raved about, it is truly the best Flaky Biscuits ever. Only thing was that I didn't have the patience to read through the methods thoroughly before proceeding. If I recalled correctly, I didn't do that 4 times fold and I didn't use a pizza cutter to cut. Should have done that so that my biscuits can rise nicely and the layers will be more profound.

Next round, I will add in some dried fruits to add some sweetness to it.

Photobucket

Highly recommend this if you are a biscuits or scone lovers.

Source: Artisan Breads Every Day

Ingredients

2 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
227g cold heavy cream
113g cold unsalted butter
128g plain flour
99g pastry flour (I used cake flour)
1 tbsp sugar (if not using dried fruits, I suggest add another 1 tbsp)
2¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Method

Stir in the vinegar into the cream to acidify it, chill it to keep it cold.

Place the butter in the freezer for at least ½ hour to harden.

Whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

Using a cheese grater, grate the harden butter into the bowl of flours. Toss the floured butter bits once in a while and then continue to grate the butter to distribute it evenly with the flour mixture.

Using your fingertips, lightly distribute the butter pieces evenly with the flour. Breaking up clumps lightly.

Add in the cream mixture and stir with a large spoon till all the flour is hydrated and form a coarse ball of dough. Add a little more cream if necessary to bring the dough together.

Transfer the dough to a generously floured surface and dust the top of the dough with flour.

With floured hands, use your palm and press the dough into a square about ¾ inch thick. Lift the dough and dust more flour onto the table. Dust the top with flour and roll it to a square of ½ inch thick.

Next fold the dough into three sections. Rotate to 90˚, dust flour and roll out again to a square with ½ inch thickness and fold into three sections again.

Give it a quarter turn and repeat the folding. (FOUR roll out in all).

After the forth folding, dust under and top of dough and roll the dough out to ½ inch thick. Cut into squares or whatever shapes you want.

Transfer onto an ungreased pan and let it REST for 15 – 30 mins for the gluten to relax before baking. (This will create a more even rise).

Preheat oven for 20 mins at 260˚C as the oven needs to be very hot.

Lower oven temperature to 232 ˚C and bake for 8 mins. Rotate and bake for another 10 mins till it is golden brown.

Place baking pan on cooling rack for 3 mins before transferring.

Best served warm with jam or clotted cream
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Edith,
    These look superb
    I love scones or what Americans call as biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is interesting! :) Is it the crispy, flaky type of biscuits? I always thought we have to use shortening to achieve that kind of texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recipe! I've not come across any biscuits or scones recipes that call for vinegar. May I know the title of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how many grams of butter r u using?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin