Friday, July 09, 2010

Yea TGIF

Since son is having his inter-class soccer tournament today, I decided not to let the kids go for the taekwondo lesson tonight. I also think that little one is having so much problems waking up these past few mornings that I really think she should have an early night as Saturday is a long day for both of them.

Instead I invited a long time friend, VA and CL over for dinner. As CL can't make it tonight, it will be just a small affair.

Since my June break, I haven't meet up with any friends as I was so busy with the kids and the new helper.

I am actually glad that I am having some social life tonight.

So let's feast.

Once again, my Beef Rendang as I was yearning for spicy food. Am glad that VA likes it too.

Photobucket

As the kids couldn't take spicy, I prepared a Pumpkin with minced pork for them. I used my mom's bean paste for this dish. Never failed to tantalise our taste buds. My son hates pumpkin but when it comes to this dish, he will help himself one serving after another.

Photobucket

Since we haven't taken this really nice Cold Tofu with Peanut dressing for a long time, I think this will blend well with the spicy rendang on the menu.

Photobucket

I am actually surprised that now my little girl takes to century eggs. She likes it so much that she was asking for more tofu to go with it.

Of course, there will always be vegetables on the dinning table. This time, a simple Stir fry luffa with egg. I still can't master how my mom does it. Hers comes with a soft and runny eggs whereas mine is far from close.

Photobucket

For dessert, another item that we haven't eaten for a long time and that is Matcha Jelly.

Photobucket

I twisted the recipe from the previous. So which one you prefer? Do drop me a line if you ever try it.

Now let's finish up the dinner with a nice bottle of wine, shall we?

Source: Didally.com
Cold Tofu with Peanut Butter Sauce Dressing

What you need:

1 packet silky tofu
1 century egg (diced or cut into wedges)
2 tbsp pork floss
1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
sesame oil
½ tbsp light soy sauce
½ cup of hot water (Do not add all in)
spring onion for garnish (optional)

Method:

Remove tofu from container and wash it clean under slow running water. Drain well and place it on a plate. Chill it in the refrigerator. You can prepare this half an hour ahead.

To prepare the dressing, mix peanut butter sauce with hot water, pour it bit by bit and stir until the desired consistency.

Add light soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil to the peanut butter mixture. season according to your preferred taste.

Pour the peanut butter dressing over the tofu, topped with pork floss and century egg. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve.

**********************

Beef Rendang

What you need

chicken parts (I used 3 tighs and 3 breast)
168ml coconut milk
3 tbsp sugar
salt

1 cup oil

Blend:
(A)
300g small onions
150g garlic
3 candlenuts
1" tumeric
2 slices galangal
1/2" belachan (toasted)

(B)
3 tbsp chilli paste (I mixed 3 tbsp chilli powder with a little water)
1 tbsp coriander seed powder
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp ground cumin
2 pcs tumeric leaves
4 stalks lemongrass

Method

Heat oil and stir fry A & B and sugar till fragrant.

Add chicken and salt and stir till chicken is cooked.

Add in coconut milk and continue to stir till chicken is well coated and sauce thickens.

Remove and serve hot.

**********************

Matcha Jelly

What you need


13g Agar Agar Powder (flower brand)
200g sugar
900ml water
300ml evaporated milk (carnation brand)
1 tbsp green tea powder (macha)

Method

Mixed sugar with agar agar powder until will mixed

Add water to the mixture. Bring to boil under high fire.

Add green tea powder. Stir until sugar dissolve, strain through the finest filter you can find and then put it aside to cool down.

Once it slightly cool, add in evaporated milk. Then sieve it again, put them into prepared tray to cool. Once set, chill it in the fridge.
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. Wow Edith!!!! You cook up a feast. I love the minced pork dish. I hate pumpkin, might wanna sub with potatoes. I love how your matcha jelly turn out to be, look so healthy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah!!!! So much to eat!!! Complete with dessert!!!

    I'm bookmarking the tofu recipe, but hmmm.. wonder when will I hve some peanut butter at home, cos we don't really eat sandwich breads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Matcha pudding looks really good! Thanks for sharing this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith, thanks for sharing your recipes! I have bookmarked the cold tofu recipe! We had a similar dish when we were in Beijing...we love it! I guess it will take me another 10 years before I could whip up all these delicious dishes. All these while I could only admire your photos, I never have the guts to try your dishes, they are too challenging for me. But I think I am confident with this tofu dish since it doesn't require any cooking, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spread! What a treat! All that food is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOHHH!! The beef rendang looks very delicious! How could I've missed your blog for this super delicious dish! I like curry rendang, this is superb go with few bowls of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, thanks for sharing. may i ask about the taste of the cold toufu with peanut butter dressing? sweet? many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quinn, sweet potatoes for me is always a dessert. You can try and let me know how it turned out.

    BL, can't wait to catch up with you when you are home.

    Wendy, I love having friends over. Just get a small bottle if you are not fan of peanut butter.

    HBS, thanks.

    HHB, i am sure you don't need 10 years to do that. In the past, I don't like cooking too perhaps my mom makes us stand next to her when she cooks. But because I am a greedy pig, got no choice but to learn coz so sick of eating out for 6 long years.

    Busygran, hope to meet you one fine day. I am sure i have lots to learn from you.

    KC, try it coz it was very well received by my family and friends.

    Mary, mmm... the tofu has no taste, the seasoning is savoury, the pork floss is sweet. Overall combination is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cold tofu dish looks interesting.

    I usually cook pumpkin with dried shrimps only as pumpkins are sweet on it's own. I'm going to try adding some bean paste next time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, just now we tried the cold toufu with peanut butter dressing in the office, office members said its yummy, also prepared the green tea jelly and all thumps up. all of us would like to thank you for the generous sharing of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edith,
    Just wondering which version of your matcha jelly recipe do you personally prefer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. BH, I will try your method the next round. :)

    Fiona, personally i like this version better but my kids prefer the other one as it is less milky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Edith

    i made the tofu dish last night and must say it is definitely a keeper! it is so easy cause no cooking required and v yummy too! i only managed to have a bit of the peanut butter sauce cause my kids wiped out most of them when i left the table to go to the kitchen to do sth.
    thks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!
    regards. octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    We dont need to cook the toufu at all ?

    Thanks for sharing.

    Ling

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ling,

    Yes, you don't have to. But if you are concern, just give it half a min zap in the microwave. Let it cool and then chilled.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin