Thursday, July 01, 2010

Yea I did it!

When I first saw Quinn's Gula Melaka Sago, I knew I just got to have it!

Looking at her dessert, I actually had flashes. It reminded me that this has been on my KIV for months or even years.

Now I remembered why I gotten two packets. Bought the small ones and then later think that the big ones will look better.

I don't know how to cook sago. Besides the Honeydew Sago that I done few days back which took me ages to cook. The last I remembered was when I was still staying in Seletar. It was to become a disaster, luckily mom came on time to my rescue for that attempt.

With a never say die spirit, and after getting advices from kind hearted fellow bloggers. I decided to go for this again. Afterall, I love gula melaka to bits. It is not just being sweet, it has this beautiful aroma that I find it hard to resist.

This time, I used the smaller sago and I doubt the remaining packet of big ones is enough for all.

I was too caught up with chatting on the phone. My timer didn't go off or perhaps I didn't hear it. It became a pot of glue. Luckily I didn't burn my pot!

Dumped it and redo. This time round, I watched carefully. When I saw the end result of tiny crystal balls shinning at me, I knew I got it this time round.

After chilling, this is what I produced. Sago Gula Melaka, can't wait to glide you down my throat. Sedap!

Thanks for all the advices!

Photobucket

What you need:

Sago (4 tbsp per person)
2 knobs Gula Melaka (depending on how sweet you want it)
Evaporated milk (I don't take coconut milk)
Pandan Leaves

Method

Chopped Gula Melaka to bits, add in pandan leaves and 4 tbsp of water. Slowly bring to a simmer. You can add more water if you wanted it more diluted. Stir till gula melaka is melted. Chill it.

Bring a big pot of water to boil. Measured sago according to serving. Put it into the boiling water.

Bring to boil for 10 mins with lid off.

Turn off heat and cover it with a lid for another 5 - 10 mins. If the centre is still white, restart boiling process.

Once cooked (all transparent), pour it into a bowl of cold water. Give it a few stir to loosen up the balls.

Drain with a sieve and another wash to get rid some of the starch.

Spoon to serving bowls and let it set in the fridge.

To serve, pour evaporated milk and gula melaka over it. Serve very cold.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Smart woman! Yes you did it! They look great, not that hard after all to cook sago isn't it? Thanks for the mention though, I didn't do anything, probably just helped you refresh that memory a bit, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,
    You got it right once, I'm sure you'll get it right twice and more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look so gd like Quinn's, must b very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinn not smart lah. I overcooked the first pot and turned into glue! Thanks for the advice.

    Wendy, yes definitely more to come since now I know how. Thanks for the advice.

    Jess, try it. Love it when it is wobbly cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edith, I know what you mean ... There so many things that we wanna try ... so much distraction ... that we get sidetracked ... Haha! There are so many to-do recipes on my list! Haha!

    I wish I can have some of this dessert, too ... I love the sweet aroma and flavor of gula melaka! Must be smooth ... along the way ... Haha!

    Btw, I'm planning on a trip down to Singapore just to see you all bloggers down there ... and shop a bit too. Haven't quite decided on the date yet. Care to meet up with me? If it really happens, it may be a larger gathering since I can't afford to see all of you one by one ... Tight schedule, man! And, there are SO many of you down there! Haha! Will let you know when the time comes as I need to settle on my accommodation and whatnot, too.

    Take care till then! Cheers! Keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pei Lin, if you want to shop you got to come quick coz i think GSS ending soon.

    Will be delighted to catch up with you and the group.

    See ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, I used to make tonnes of that with a classmate - after we've learnt how to make it in one of our home econs classes.

    But of course I've forgotten it after more than 20 years and I was wondering recently if I could find the recipe again...

    I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Edith this look great!.. I love this dessert. Quinn, i am going to try this recipe too :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did it! I love gula melaka too and bought quite a bit during my trip to Malacca last week. Going to making this one day. Your's look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Edith this look great!.. I love this dessert. Quinn, i am going to try this recipe too :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart woman! Yes you did it! They look great, not that hard after all to cook sago isn't it? Thanks for the mention though, I didn't do anything, probably just helped you refresh that memory a bit, hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin