Friday, July 23, 2010

My poor mom

Mom rang this morning and asked me a very strange question.

You see, despite numerous visits to both Chinese and Western doctors. She is still having this nagging fever. As she is going away for a holiday soon, she needs to recover fast and built her strength back desperately.

Thus she bought some antelope's horn (羚羊) as it is known to disperse the "heatiness" in the body.

What is strange was that she rang me and asked me how to prepare this drink! Hey she is supposed to be my cooking guru! What is happening? Then I realised that she is getting old and somehow she is losing some part of her memory.

I put down the phone with a saddened heart. Just last night, I was telling my better half that my mom is aging fast and I wanted to throw her a 70th birthday party next year. She is not only getting old but she is also losing her hearing. Her health is really weak.

Even though she is mobile and has no major illnesses. It pains me to see her like that as she can't really enjoy her old age with fun. Her lungs are so fragile that the slightest change of diet, a day of overdone activity or a change of weather will snowballed into weeks of bed rest and medication and sometime even hospitalisation.

Thus she is constantly reminding us to take care of ourselves. Not when we are old but rather now. She believed that she has over exerted herself when she was young and thus resulted in this.

Anyway, weekend is here and I am really happy. No more same activity that we have been doing for the last couple of months. It was beginning to bores the hell out of our kids. I am glad that it is finally over, at least for now. I will talk about this 3 months later.

These few days, I have nothing inspiring in the kitchen as I was busy with my Cupcake Fantasies project for this weekend.

The weather was really good. Despite wet but it was cool. I love it if I am not working on fondant. Unfortunately I was. It is nerve wrecking when working on fondant on a wet day. I am praying hard that it will set solid.

With that completed and praying hard. I was able to focus on my next project.

A pan fried radish cake aka carrot cake, Asian style, better known as Chai Tau Kuay.

Photobucket

I saw this program on TV about how a husband tried teaching his wife for the last ten years on how to prepare this dish at their stall. He failed and thus it was the reason why they were on air. A chef stood in and took over the teaching progress so that she can acquire this skill and take over their char tau kuay stall. The morale of that story was that the husband was also nagging at her and thus she was totally “switched off” when he was teaching her. Thus she never learnt the skill from her husband whereas the chef was very encouraging and motivating.

I guess, I really learnt something from this program. Being a mom, we are always nagging at our kids. Have we ever learnt to listen? Especially now that my dear son is into his teens, I will have to make a conscientious effort to LISTEN. I must learn to give him a chance to explain, I listen and then explain.

Inspired by this story, I went and bought a radish. Yes mom's radish cake (dim sum style) is good and well loved but this time, I wanted to tried a different type of radish cake.

Photobucket

Am I successful? It sure didn’t taste like store bought but it was good enough to fill our tummy with another serving.

Recipe modified from Asian Delights

What you need:

250g rice flour, sifted
1.5 cup water
1/4 tsp salt

A
600g radish (shred very thinnly)- I use manual but you can shred it by mandolin.
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper

Method

Mix rice flour, water and salt to form a watery batter.

Put A into a wok and cook over low heat for 15 mins until radish is soften and liquid evaporates.

Pour in the batter and mix thoroughly with the radish with a wooden spoon. Cook for around 3 mins till thicken.

Transfer into a greased 8" pan and steam over rapid heat for 45 mins.

Removed and cool. (best to consume the next day).


What you need:

Steamed Radish cake
Perserved prickles (chai po)
Minced garlic
Fish sauce
Sweet black sauce
Eggs (beaten)

Method

Diced radish cake into small cubes.

Heat wok till very hot, add in oil and add radish cubes. Stir fry gently. Push aside or remove if wok is too small.

Add oil, sautee the garlic and chai po. Add in radish cake.

A dash of fish sauce, sweet black sauce and mix thoroughy with the radish cake.

Spread them out and pour in beaten egg.

Pan fried till egg is cooked.

Served hot.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Hope your mum's fever will go down quickly so that she would be able to enjoy her holiday.

    And what a yummy-looking radish cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and the black sauce - I feel like I can taste the sweetness! Yum!
    I pray that your mum will get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith, I truly understand your feelings about your mum. I am back in KL this weekend and my mum is in her mid 70s. She has numerous aches and body pains, somewhat mobile and forgetful at most times. I too look back on the days when she was nimble, able bodied and so full of energy. I tell myself that it is all part of growing old and we have to accept it ourselves one day as we age as well. But somehow to me this seems meaningless when faced with reality ... I can only sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, hope your mum feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Edith! If yours tasted good, who cares! Most importantly, it's when your family liked it. =) Your family definitely has 口福.

    Well, I understand what you mean. Oftentimes, when I dream of and wonder what and how I'd be like in 10 years' time, I can't help but to wonder how my parents would be like too. See, my parents got married and had children late in life. I'm turning 23 this year, but my dad is gonna be 61!! Goodness ... I'm worried ... since I sorta lack that financial power to provide my parents with what they need e.g. medical cost, insurance and etc. *Sigh*

    Haha! You should tell this to my parents because they are always nagging! They hardly listen! Typical conservative Chinese parents ... That's why I often end up arguing with them ... even when I was "teleconferencing" with them online while I was still in the States. Seriously, I think parents should nag less ... once a while is OK. But then, many parents are overdoing it, I think. That's my two cents as youngster though. As for me, I'm used to it ... sorta have developed a defense mechanism against that mental torture. LOL!

    No worries, I think you're doing great as a mom. At least, you'd wondered about this to yourself, "I need to listen to my teen." LOL! I don't think that question has really come to my parents' awareness. *Sigh* For me, I still prefer parenting methods of a mix of the East and West. Physical punishment worked on me! You wouldn't believe me when I tell you that I was SO rebellious when I was a teen (even now I think ... hahaha!), my dad beat me and "kicked" me out of the door. Then, my mom was always the gentle one ... the Angel who took her own dignity away and came to cuddle me and brought me back home. Actually, it was pretty torturing as I was bitten by mosquitoes during my two hours outdoors at night! LOL! *Sigh* Those days ... You wouldn't believe I was THAT bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks gals for your concern. Mom is feeling much better after the hopsital prescribed two concoctions of strong antibotics. Still having that nagging fever but she is definitely much better than last few weeks.

    You are right, we not only have to shower our attention to our kids, our parents too are yearning for the same. I am blessed that my parents are still very independent but definitely can't take them for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith, great to hear that your mom is getting better, wish she will recover totally very soon.

    Fried Chai Tou Kueh is always my favourite but ve to restrict since is fattening :(. Yours definately looks tempting, yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too feel bitter when I feel that age is catching up to my parents. :( I guess it's part and parcel of life. Anyway, hope your mum has a speedy recovery and enjoy her coming holiday.

    Your Chai Tao Kwey looks great! Wow, added bonus with prawns...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your concern HBS. I guess this is life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Edith, great to hear that your mom is getting better, wish she will recover totally very soon.

    Fried Chai Tou Kueh is always my favourite but ve to restrict since is fattening :(. Yours definately looks tempting, yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too feel bitter when I feel that age is catching up to my parents. :( I guess it's part and parcel of life. Anyway, hope your mum has a speedy recovery and enjoy her coming holiday.

    Your Chai Tao Kwey looks great! Wow, added bonus with prawns...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks gals for your concern. Mom is feeling much better after the hopsital prescribed two concoctions of strong antibotics. Still having that nagging fever but she is definitely much better than last few weeks.

    You are right, we not only have to shower our attention to our kids, our parents too are yearning for the same. I am blessed that my parents are still very independent but definitely can't take them for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin