Friday, July 02, 2010

A long forgotten toy

I bought this toy years’ ago. Each time I spotted someone preparing this lovely lacy crepe, I will tell myself. "Ahem, mdm it is time for you to use your new toy". Then again, it is just talk and no action from me.

Thinking about the packet of curry rempah that C gave me on Sat, I didn’t know how long it will last in the freezer, so this morning, just before it rained, I went to the wet market and gotten some chicken. After not visiting them for a month or so, when I placed my order, they actually gave me a very strange look. I am really puzzled. Do I grow an extra ear or nose?

I was simply just too lazy to search for my trusted recipe, I decided to go by instinct on the curry. After all, don't try won't know. I am glad that it turned out delicious enough for son to have numerous serving. I am happy that he started to appreciate spicy food, this definitely makes life much easier when cooking.

With the curry in place, now I can precede on to make that lovely lacy crepes, Rot Jala!!

I gave been dying to try this because I have NEVER eaten one before. Plenty of Roti Prata as it is my kids' favourite but never Roti Jala!

Since hubby will be going on a long trip again, I think this is the best time to whip up a spicy dish just for him.

As I was making the crepes, I was worried that there might not be enough. Was so tempted to make another half portion but decided against it. I am glad that I didn’t because it is so filling.

I will definitely do this again for my family.

Now let's enjoy.

Photobucket

I am looking forward to this weekend but am wondering how to entertain my kids on Monday.

What you need:

240g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of coconut milk
1 cup of water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp ghee (optional)

Method:

Sift flour into bowl and add salt.

Stir in beaten eggs and coconut milk, water, evaporated milk and ghee. Beat till smooth and strain.

Heat non stick pan on low heat. Scoop the batter with a roti jala cup and move quickly to the pan and using a circular motion to form a lace pattern. Cook till set.

Continue cooking till batter finished.

When cool, fold crepe into two and roll up.

Serve with your favourite curry.

Note: I didn't like my Roti Jala to be loaded with coconut cream thus I actually subsitute it with water and evaporated milk. If you like you can replaced these with coconut.
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Yummy Roti Jala.
    So yummy with curry chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!!!! I love this. I have bought the tool for making this crepes long long ago from a post i saw in M4M. Till now it is still hidden in the drawer... this post of yours realli inspire me again :p thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this crepe with curry! Had it several times when I was in Malaysia, but have never made it myself. :P Thanks for sharing this recipe...will try it when I make curry next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely lacy pancakes, go well with curry. An old auntie friend used her fingers to drizzle the batter. Awesome! But I never mastered the art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lacy pancakes, go well with curry. An old auntie friend used her fingers to drizzle the batter. Awesome! But I never mastered the art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy Roti Jala.
    So yummy with curry chicken :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin