Thursday, July 08, 2010

As easy as ABC

Have you eaten a cake without eggs? Well, I never. Since I was craving for chocolate and this recipe fitted both criteria I had today.

Initially wanted to bake some chocolate tart but somehow I changed my mind as today I am having a lazy day. Both kids are coming home late and I have the whole morning and early afternoon by myself. Furthermore, the weather had been great. Cool and wet, nice enough to be in bed but I must fulfil my role as a mother. I need to mark my girl's assessment homework!

Time really flies, with the short work week, weekend is near approaching. This weekend, we will be spending one without daddy and tomorrow, I am having some friends over for dinner. So I guess time will pass by even faster.

Okay, now back to my bake. Since I had such good result from the two previous recipes that I tried from Bakewise, I might as well try my third, Shirley's Crazy Cake. This cake is supposed to be a super easy, moist, tender and yet eggless chocolate cake. Well described Shirley, it is indeed so but I took a longer route as I don't want to risk my cake not evenly beat up. I’ve done it in the mixer and then transfer into baking pan.

This cake is lovely especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Verdict: The texture is dense and moist. Tasted very much like a brownie. Goes really well with ice cream.

Photobucket

What you need:

187g plain flour
198g sugar
28g natural cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup cold water or weak coffee if you prefer

Method:

Preheat oven to 177 ˚C.

In a 8 X 8 non stick pan, stir together to blend the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Poke 2 small holes and 2 large holes in the dry ingredients with the handle of a wooden spoon.

Fill one small hole with vinegar, another small hole with vanilla and the big hole with canola oil.

Pour in cold water and stir well to blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Need to stir well to develop the gluten to hold the cake together.

Bake for 30 mins or cake is cooked.

Serve either with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Print Friendly and PDF

11 comments:

  1. that cake looks real moist! i will make it when i ever run out of eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake of yours has jolted my memory. I made it once way back in the early 70s and it wasn't well received. People then did not understand eggless cake. They wanted either the rich cakes or the chiffon. They did not know what they were missing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith, the cake looks chocolately and moist, bookmarked it. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good. I think I will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. I think I will have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grub, thanks for dropping by.

    Busygran, in the early 70s!!! wow, this recipe is old man. Yah this is my first time trying eggless too. Never thought that it can be done.

    Jess, Pei Lin is trying to reach you. Contact her.

    Lookin'at and Sue, thanks for dropping by. Try it and let me know your outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have tried flourless cake but I don't think I have ever tried eggless cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Edith, I just saw her msg last nite and contacted her. Thanks ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good. I think I will have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good. I think I will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that cake looks real moist! i will make it when i ever run out of eggs :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin