Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Am I crazy?

I am so happy that little one is well enough to be in school. Just last evening, she was still running a temperature.

I remembered when we were young with a fever, mom will always do this "sweat it out" treatment.

After medication, she will ask us to drink a cup of warm water. Then she will cover us with blanket and let us sweat it out (no fan, no air con). She will always be on her round to make sure that while we sweat, we will have a change of clothings regularly. So even though we were sweating, we were always with dry clothes on.

When my son was young and has this nagging fever that simply won't go away, I always bring him to my mom to do this treatment and it always work!

The funny thing is Western doctor will always tell you that you need to keep cool. Donned on light clothing, air con, and blah blah blah.

Thus I am not sure where mom's method derived from. I guess this method will work under strict supervision.

I remembered years ago watching a documentary and this tribe uses nearly the same method to bring down a fever. Instead of just blanket, they actually had this tent with a big pot of boiling water to create hot steam. The patient was wrapped in thick blanket. After a sweat out, the patient felt much better.

This is the same way too, after a sweat out, we always feel much better. Just last week, I adopt the same method and my son was up and running in no time. He too believes in this method as I over heard him telling his sister that she got to sweat it out to feel better. LOLz.

So tell me I am crazy or not but in our family, this method works to bring down a fever.

After taking some medication and a nap, I felt much better. While coaching my girl, I was browsing a book that was due to return tomorrow. (I really hated those irresponsible people who tear pages off a public property – ought to be shot dead).

This, American Pound Cake, is the second recipe that I tested out of Bakewise. I love this book and perhaps I might be even ordering one. (have to weigh between a must have and a nice to have).

Verdict: As what the author claimed, this cake is indeed soft and moist and the crumbs are tight as a pound cake but not super tight.

Note that my cake has some air pockets. Well it is ether I didn't bang the pan hard enough or I didn't sieve the flour well.

Photobucket

What you need:

170g unsalted butter
96g shortening
250g castor sugar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond essence
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large egg yolks (37g)
5 large eggs (248g)
332g plain flour
45g potato stach
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup heavy cream

Method

Preheat oven to 177 deg. Grease a bundt pan.

Double sieve the flours, potatoe starch, baking powder and salt until very well blended. (if not you will not get a compact crumbs).

Beat the butter to soften and add in the shortening. Beat till light and fluffy.

Add in the sugar and continue beating till the mixture is light.

Beat in the vanilla and almond extracrts. Beat in the oil a little at a time until incorporated. On low speed, blend in the yolks and the the whole eggs, one at a time.

Fold in the flour mixture in the batter. Alternate it with buttermilk. Last fold will be the flour.

On another mixing bowl, whip up the cream till soft peak.

Fold in 1/4 of the cream to the batter. Mixed thoroughly.

Fold in the remaining cream till well blended.

Pour into the pan. Give it a bang to release the air pockets and bake for 45-60 mins till it is cooked.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Your pound cake loook so beautifully and it will not be complete without the chocolate glaze on top, a little bit of it trickling down the cake, makes anyone wants to eat it off the scree.

    No Edith, when I was young, my Nana and mum did the same thing to me as well. The key is to always change your sweaty shirt to a dry one....They stayed up the whole morning for me....I was just 8 probably I think. Sometimes...things like confinement and the sweating out method, doctors can't explain it.

    I told my mum I don't wanna do confinement next time and she said this in a very typical chinese manner 'angmoh is angmoh, you are not angmoh, so you must do. different one. it's good for your body'....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that everytime I get fever too. Sweating is the body's natural way of cooling down. It's hard to get the body to sweat when having a fever, but once the sweat starts flowing, then... it's super relief.

    I think most Chinese uses this method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Edith,

    You are certainly not crazy. This 'sweat it out' method works. I remember when I had a prolong fever, it was very hard for me to sweat. But when I covered myself with blanket and tried to force the sweat out, I felt so much better. I believe sweating helps lower the body temperature thus the person feels so much better after sweating.

    Agree with you those irresponsible book borrowers have no sense of consideration for others.

    I have read the book Bakewise. It is very 'science' and 'mathematics' based regarding the hows and whys of baking. I think it is a good read for bakers to understand why recipes fail by looking at the proportion of ingredients and how they can tweak recipes to make them better. However, the downside is that it is very dry given its heavy content which is almost textbook-like and there are almost no pictures.

    Your vanilla pound cakes looks great with the chocolate glaze =]. I wouldn't have noticed the air pockets if you did not mention it.

    cheers
    zhuoyuan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much. For a moment, I thought either my mom and I are crazy to try the sweat it out method.

    I am happy now that we are not the only weirdo. So this method truly works!!!! yea!

    Quinn, as much as I am a modern mom. I do believe in certain Asian practise.

    When my son was a baby, I rubbed coconut oil on his head (Indian's belief).

    I trim my kids' eye lashes (Filipina's belief)

    I believe in Chinese herbal medicine.

    BT, yah, Bakewise is rather dry but her 2 recipes that I tried turned out really good. I am going to attempt a chocolate one later.

    Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith,
    I went through the same sweating treatment when I was a kid. Made to drink some hot 'hap chai char" and then went thru the sweating ritual.
    But no way could I do the same to my daughters and now my grandsons! It's a sheer no, no with western doctors.
    I guess it depends on what is causing the fever. We have to be careful in this respect.
    I can't comment on your cake cos no picture was available.
    It's not uncommon to find books in the library being 'violated' especially cookbooks for their recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have never tried the sweating method at home. But my boy can wake up in a head of perspiration even in an air-conditioned room, fever or not. Good at cooling himself down?!?

    Anyway, your cakes look so yummylicious, makes me want to check out Bakewise too! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, nope, you aren't crazy. I still do this to myself whenever I have fever, besides drinking plenty of water, taking ibuprofen (U.S. version of Panadol) and sleeping my way through. (Well, can't even really sleep properly when I'm sick because I'd feel dizzy.)Especially in the States where consulting doctor costs like a bomb, whenever I had fever, I just stayed home and covered myself with several layers of blanket to force the sweat out ... It's freezing up in northern Minnesota; hence, the blanketS. Eventually, I'd still recover from fever. =) No doctor needed.

    Hey, that pound cake looks good enough for me! You're just being too harsh on yourself! Are you a perfectionist-perfectionist!!?? Haha! I'm a perfectionist in baking and cooking, but won't go for absolute perfectionism. Haha! I can be sloppy too ... =P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin