Wednesday, June 30, 2010

School project

I always like the idea of my kids bringing home friends to play or to work. This way, I get to have a better understanding what type of friends they are mixing with.

By observing their behaviour, I also can gauged and advise my kids' as to whether this is the correct company to hang out with.

Even when my kids hanged out in friends' houses, I actually make a point to communicate with their parents and if possible, even dropped by. I am happy to say, so far, he is in the right company.

Since son started his secondary school life, I have yet to meet someone who is not from his primary school. Seems like my boy is rather close to this one and I really hope he has a good influence on him.

The pair was supposedly to complete a school project together during school holiday but I wonder why they only come together now. Whatever it is, they are old enough to bear the consequence if the job is not done properly or hand in late.

Since kids usually like "fast food", I decided just to make Bolognese pasta for them. Easy peasy.

I also bake a cake in case they are hungry during tea time. Seriously I have wanted to bake this Magnificent Moist Golden Cake for a long time but somehow somewhere, it got lost in my memory. Since I needed to return the book real soon, I might as well do it then to procrastinate further.

Like what the author claimed, this cake is really yummy. Soft and moist. I was surprised that the cake didn't really rise high. Thus perhaps next round, I will bake it in 8" round pan instead to get a nice height.

Photobucket

Adapted from Bake Wise by Shirley Corriher

What you need:

201g cake flour
1¾ tsp baking powder
250g castor sugar (original is 298g)
1/3 cup water
57g unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3 large egg yolks (55g)
2 large egg
½ cup heavy cream

Method

Preheat oven to 177˚C. Greased 8” round pan.

Beat flour and baking powder for 30 sec on medium speed. Set flour aside.

Boil water to a simmer.

Place sugar on other mixing bowl and add in hot water, beat till sugar dissolved.

Add in butter, vanilla and salt.

Add in oil and mix on med to blend.

Add in 1/3 flour to sugar mixture. Blend on low with a min beating. Continue adding the remaining flour (1/3 by 1/3).

Stir in egg yolks one at a time and stir in the whole eggs one at a time.

In another bowl, beat cream till soft peaks. Add in ¼ of the cream to the batter and mix till incorporated.

Fold in the remaining cream.

Pour into the pan and bake for 40 mins or till cake is cooked.

Cool cake in pan for 10 min before removing and cool further on rack.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edith
    May I know what is the brand of heavy cream to use? Can I get those president dairy cream? Tks

    Octopusmum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin