Friday, June 04, 2010

A good break soon.

Since 7 years ago, I never leave town for leisure without my kids.

Everywhere I go, they are with me. Thus my kids developed a strong sense of attachment. Even now, whenever I go out for some errands, they will ring me to ask what time I will be home, how long I will be gone etc etc.

Recalling about this now makes me think of H's breakdown when she first had her new born. No one was home and she needed to go to the bathroom urgently and she didn't know how. She got frustrated.

For me, I bring my kids everywhere I go and that include the bathroom. I didn't have a helper when my son was nearly 3 and again decided not to have one when my girl was 2. I never leave them out of sight for even 1 second because you never know what a young toddler/child can do.

Thus when I was given a birthday trip to Bali 7 years ago, I missed my kids badly perhaps my little princess was still so young. Though I knew that my parents will take really good care of them but still I wished they were here with me then.

Strangely, now, I am actually looking forward to this holiday without them. I wanted some really good ME time with my friends. I needed not just a few hours without them, I needed a few days!!!!!!!

Bad? Cruel? I don't think so because I still love my family tremendously. I just needed to be away for a few days to enjoy some good quality ME time.

I know this is break will definitely be good for my soul.

This is also a good opportunity to get to know my friends better. I really hope that we can still be friends after we come home. hahahhaa...

Anyway, since I am baking for Cupcake Fantasies, I decided to do a batch of Almond and Oat Biscuits as I love both ingredients but I was disappointed by the outcome. From the book, the picture looks really good but mine turned out horribly wrong.

The “dough” is very dry and it was hard to roll into a ball. I had to push and pile them up. First tray was disaster because the heat was too high and the ‘ball’ melted to become lace cookies. Second tray was much better but still it didn’t stay as ball shape as presented in the picture. Third tray was the best tray out of the three but still it wasn’t how it supposed to look.

Do you think the flour is too little and there isn't any liquid to bind it. It is too sweet for me but I still think that this should be a nice combination for a cookie. I might try this combination again but with a different recipe. Or unless we can spot where went wrong.

I have tried Mrs Leong's other publication and all turned out well thus I am wondering what went wrong.

I am including this recipe just in case someone can explain to me.

Photobucket

What you need:

140g butter
140g sugar (need to reduce this)
1 tbsp self raising flour (seems strange)
225g quick cooking oats
55g chopped almonds (I used slivered)
2 drops of almond essence
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method

Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.

Add in all other ingredients. Mixed well.

Roll into balls.

Bake at 150 degree till it turned golden brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. The cookies looking good! I love almond and oats. May be I should use this recipe to fill my empty cookie jar now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you used seem to be rolled oats rather than quick cooking oats. Is it?

    Rolled oats are bigger, and thicker and quick cooking ones are finer in over all texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great relaxing holiday! Don't worry about the children. They will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip, Edith, it's not easy to do anything with or without the children, but it's nonetheless good to have time to yourself (and your spouse) from time to time!

    I go to the loo with my kids too, we used to bathe together all the time too. :-)

    Meanwhile, I know that you're tired so I haven't talked to you about it yet, but do you think that you would have the time to craft a birthday cake for my mum's 60th in July?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to give it a try...not sure what could have gone wrong. Perhaps, you could add water, a little bit at a time to make the dough easier to work with? If you contacted the publishers of the book perhaps they could find out. Editors are only human...they make mistakes too!

    jessyburke88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you are bad or selfish going on a holiday without the kids. Everyone needs some ME time now and then. I respect all mothers because I know once kids get into the picture, there is almost no room for other things - every activity will be revolving around them - I am too selfish to be a mother. Your cookie seems to have a nice crunch to it and with oats- that is healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to go to the loo with my kids too, or I would do it with the door opened, lolz! I am waiting for the day when I could go on holidays without my kids without having to feel guilty. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitchen Corner, Wendy is right, pls use quick cooking oats as I totally forgotten that they are different.

    Thanks Wendy for pointing it out.

    Tina thanks. I hope my parents can manage that two little monsters.

    Thanks Jess.

    Beau Lotus, you are so right. I am now sitting on the fence of guilty and not guilty. But I think I will have no chance to think about my kids coz the group that I am going with is a crazy and fun going bunch.

    Jessica, thanks for dropping by. This recipe combination is awesome as wendy pointed out to me, I used the wrong type of oats.

    Shirley, Parenthood is tough but along the way, we have gotten alot of joy out of it. Definitely have no regrets.

    Thanks Happy HomeBaker, I hope I don't feel children sick when I am away. hahhaah.. My gal already started crying last night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the 1 Tbsp of flour is there to bind and leaven the cookies, since self-rising flour does contain leavener. You said the dough was crumbly and dry. Could it be the egg was missing!? Egg is a binder. Don't you think? Agree with Wendy. Did you use rolled oats!? Quick oats are WAY finer in texture. These are just my wild guess. I could be wrong though ...

    Hey, you deserve a break seriously! You know, there are many other people who also love your kids too! Let them babysit the youngsters for a bit ... tell them as doing you and your hubby a favor. Haha! So, I believe you ought to take a break, however you long you want, to enjoy and relax! The only downside with your position is you don't have annual leave like we working people do ... Haha! (I know you're also working ... but in another different way ...) So, go ahead and do as wished! (Man, I'm so evil ... instructing you on what to do ... while I myself am not even a mother! Haha!)

    I support you! You know you're one good mom ... and one that absolutely needs a break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pei Lin, I will give this another go another day. Noted your pointers.

    Thanks Gattina! Hope to catch up with you if you are heading this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a nice holiday dear.....miss ya already

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey Edith, its me audrey!

    i hope you had a good break! we all need our ME time to keep our sanity! and i think SAHM need them alot more than the working mums!

    have a wonderful day ahead and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey Edith, its me audrey!

    i hope you had a good break! we all need our ME time to keep our sanity! and i think SAHM need them alot more than the working mums!

    have a wonderful day ahead and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will have to give it a try...not sure what could have gone wrong. Perhaps, you could add water, a little bit at a time to make the dough easier to work with? If you contacted the publishers of the book perhaps they could find out. Editors are only human...they make mistakes too!

    jessyburke88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin