Thursday, June 03, 2010

Crazy heat

The heat is building up again after a downpour two days ago and my stupid migraine is creeping back, daunting me. Now I wish I can be in New Zealand where my dear friend, C and her team of 10 is heading this Friday. Lucky chaps.

I have to start packing for my short getaway too after tomorrow’s commitment. I think it will be plenty of light weight clothing for me as I will be heading to an even hotter destination. I think I better load in plenty of painkiller just in case I get my migraine attack while there.

I don't like last minute job as it causes stress. Thus I like to do things in advance. Just in case my deteriorating brain cells malfunction, at least I have time to add in those "missing" items.

Happy that I have already settled my two little ones' bags as they will be heading to my parents’ home. It sure been a long time that they sleep over at grandpa and grandma’s place. I can tell they are excited.

Actually my kids are pretty close to their maternal grandparents because when they were very young, my parents looked after them while I was working or away for job assignments. Thus my son even understood dialect though he can’t really speak it. My daughter’s time with them wasn’t that long but she is favourite grandchild of my dad. Perhaps she was the youngest then as my brother and his family had already left Singapore.

The fridge is more or less, left emptied and I simply refused to do grocery shopping as I know myself. I will start to load up the trolley and then later regret it. I don’t know about other home maker but for me, I sure love grocery shopping and sometime I can be out of control.

Anyway, still have some eggs and a tub of sour cream left and I want to bake something for tomorrow's gathering with the group of hot mamas.

I took the opportunity to make use of my new toy. It always feels sweet when friends thought of you when they are out shopping. In this case, CL bought this for me from the States when she was home in December. I still have another present from her but I will find a nice opportunity to use that.

Photobucket

Thanks CL, this is really nice and now let’s hope my friends will like this Honey Sour Cream Cake that I baked for them.

Photobucket

This cake smells heavenly. The aroma of honey was really distinct. I just wonder whether this is supposed to be a dense cake or a fluffy one. Now I will let my friends be the judge for this recipe.

Verdict: The cake is really good. It is soft and moist and hubby really like it.

Adapted from Asian High Tea Favourites by Betty Saw

What you need:

300g plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
115ml corn oil
225g brown sugar
4 large eggs (separated)
175ml honey
300g sour cream
125g chopped nuts

Method

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Greased and flour a tube pan

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Add salt and set aside.

Cream oil and sugar. Beat in egg yolks one at a time until light and creamy.

Beat in honey.

Fold in sifted ingredients. Alternate with sour cream. Mixed in the nuts

Beat egg white until stiff. Fold 1/3 of white into the batter to thin it.

Add the balance egg white and fold in gently.

Pour batter into tin and bake for 45-50 min or skewer comes clean.

*******************

Two weekends ago, after our lunch in Chinatown, I asked my kids whether they wanted some authentic egg tarts. My girl who is a big fan of this, immediately “ordered” some. Boy, it is now so expensive!!!

Since she only had two, my little one has been craving for more Egg Tarts. When she heard that I am planning to bake some one day, she couldn’t wait and pester me into doing it today.

I took Table for Two’s recipe as it looks really nice. I had some problem with it as the dough was way too soft. Despite me chilling it, I still have problem rolling it out into a dough sheet and cut it.

In the end, I gave up and just put the soft dough into the mould and smooth it as thinly as possible. I had to keep dipping into the flour to prevent the dough from sticking to my fingers.

The tarts came out really nicely, I like the egg custard as it is silky and smooth but I will reduce the sugar the next round.

Photobucket

Thanks for sharing this.

What you need:

Pastry


250g plain flour
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 egg yolk
150g cold butter, cubed

Filling

100g castor sugar
150ml hot water
250ml milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 large eggs
1 egg white (From the same egg where the yolk was used in the crust)

Method

Cream the butter with the egg yolk and sugar.

Add in flour. Mix well.

Roll out pastry in between two sheets of plastic into thickness of about 4mm. Stamp out 9–10cm circles of pastry with a pastry cutter.

Lightly press the pastry circles into the tart mould

Refrigerate the lined foil cases for 2 hours.

Melt the sugar in hot water, add milk, salt, vanilla essence.

Beat all the eggs lightly and mix in all together.

Sieve egg mixture and pour into the cold tart crust.

Fill the custard to the brim of the crust.

Bake at 180C for 25 minutes.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad you liked the tarts!

    But the dough indeed is very tricky, but the end product is very flaky and nice.
    The dough should not be sticky, but will feel floury on the fingers, but still soft.
    Maybe add 1 extra Tbsp of flour to it, if you cannot handle the dough. Not too much though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, both looked absolutely delicious!

    Enjoy your little trip and hope the migraine will go away quickly.

    I was thinking that I once lost my vision for maybe 2-3 minutes when I was standing in a crowded bus more than 14 years ago. It could be due to the change in temperature, tiredness etc.

    Anyway, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, i will definitely try this again coz I have gotten really good feedback.

    Thanks BL, try the recipes, both are really good.

    I just went for a massage, hopefully it will relieve what ever that is blocking the blood flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm glad you liked the tarts!

    But the dough indeed is very tricky, but the end product is very flaky and nice.
    The dough should not be sticky, but will feel floury on the fingers, but still soft.
    Maybe add 1 extra Tbsp of flour to it, if you cannot handle the dough. Not too much though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin