Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Swealtering heat

We have been getting extremely humid weather this week. It is killing me slowly. With the noise and dust of some constructions nearby, it didn't make life any better. I was supposedly to bring down a parcel to be mail off but it is still sitting on my desk as the car park next to the post office is still under renovation and I am not willing to walk under this sweltering heat as I know I will get a migraine if I try.

Examination fever has just started. Thus "we" are spending a lot of time revising. It is a norm these days that we, parents are being a part of our kids' school life.

When my son was young, coaching him was bliss. He is able to comprehend concept in lightning speed. As for my daughter, I am experiencing tremendously pressure. I can't pinpoint what is wrong with her. She is able to read and able to learn her spelling very quickly as she is pretty good with her phonic. Somehow, she is not able to express herself as well in the subject of comprehension.

Upon friends' advices, I did ask her to narrate what she read in story books and she is able to!!! Now where and what is wrong? Her grades are showing and I am a little jittery now.

Should I send her to a tutor or should I continue to teach? Perhaps this Primary 2 standard has gone up that I am no longer qualified or have I deteriorated to the stage that I can't even cope with Primary 2? My mind is going crazy but I must stay calm and wait till result time?

With the exam fever and that bloody hot weather, I am trying my best to finish the toppers for Mother's day as well as a birthday. The temptation of crawling back to my cool bedroom and sleep was great.

I just need to have a strong will today. I must conquer; I must reach the end of the line. I must not give up.

To cushion the "low" feel. I need to distract myself. Not too long ago, GU shared a very interesting recipe in a forum. It was initially named Orange Chocolate Cake but I was also told that it is a Jaffa Cake. Hey didn’t I hear of Jaffa Cake from JM when we last met? I was curious enough to give it a try as it is extremely easy to do and not so taxing on such a hot day to bake a cake.

Photobucket

The cake is soft and moist and has this lovely hint of orange to it. A perfect blend with chocolate. Though I find it a little sticky to the teeth but it still manageable.

Hubby had a first bite when it is still warm and it it great. I waited for it to cool and the consistency is still the same.

Verdict:

I wonder whether I should decrease my orange juice a little. Overall it is an easy and delicious cake.

If you prefer a sweeter cake, just add in another 30g of sugar. For us, this is good enough.

Do give this a try and it is so easy and not much cleaning up.

What you need:

192g cake flour
155g castor sugar
49g cocoa
1 cup milk
2 eggs
50g softened butter
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
70g orange juice
zest from 1 large orange
1 tsp choc emulco

Method:

Preheat oven to 160˚C (fan mode) or 180˚C.

Put all the above in a bowl. Stir well to combine.

Mix with an electric beater until creamy.

Pour into 8" greased pan and bake for about 1 hour.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. I can understand how you feel during children's exam period as I guess we are the typical Singaporean mother, sometimes, we might be putting too much of unnecessary stress to ourselves. I'm glad that my children have grown up and they can manage their exam without my worry or might be I have learnt how to let go ... Hope you could take thing easy .. cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith, the cake looks so moist and the combination sound so yummy. BTW, I have some awards for you, please feel free to pick them up @ http://bakericious/blogspot.com. thanks. Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Edith

    this cake looks so yummy. can i do away with the choco emulco cause i don't have it?
    yeah, exam time is really stressful and for pple like us who go out almost every wkend, it is hard to stay at home. sometimes, i wonder whether it is the kids taking the exams or us, the parents.
    thks
    regards
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I hope to do this once I get emulco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks My-Sweet-Hut for dropping by. Yah I guess when we looked back, those moments were just part of growing up. THanks for dropping by.

    Thanks Jess, I picked it up. Nice of you.

    Octopusmum and SIG, You can do away with the emulco. I doubt it will make any difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin