Sunday, May 30, 2010

In search of

This morning, I rose with happy thoughts that we are going to spend a wonderful Sunday with some good friends yakking over our pizza lunch and discussing a possible year end holiday together.

It is the perfect day to chill out by the pool. Nice breeze and a cloudy sky!

After cleaning up, I wanted to have some fluffy scones for breakfast as we might be having a late lunch.

As you might have read numerous posts from my blog that I am searching for THE scones that I first fell in love with.

Thus today, I set upon Do What I like's recipe which has gotten really good reviews. As I was preparing it, I was hoping and hoping that it is close to my favourite.

The recipe is relatively easy and it does yield a very fluffy texture but I find that the buttery taste to it is absent. I seriously now believe that the one that I tasted and in love with might not be the authentic scones.

Nevertheless, this goes so well with clotted cream and jam. I will definitely bake this again.

Photobucket

What you need:

200g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
50g cold butter cut into small pieces
150ml buttermilk or full cream milk with 2 tbsp lemon juice, stand for 30 mins)
Some milk for glacing

Method:

Sieve flour into a big mixing bowl, stir in the salt.

Rub in the butter till crumbs-liked (do not over do this part).

Stir in the sugar.

Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, pour in the buttermilk, holding back a little just in case it is too much.

Stir to mix with a pair of chopsticks. Dough should be sticky.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured working surface. Pat dough into 2cm thick (use a ruler for accuracy.

Note: When working on this, if dough is too dry, add in the buttermilk which is on hold from (3).

Cut dough with 5.5cm floured cutter. Pressed cutter firmly onto dough and do not twist or turn the cutter.

Glaze the surface of each scone with some milk. I used my finger to glaze them and smoothen the cracked surfaces along the way.

Bake on a lined tray in a preheated oven at 220 - 225C for 13 - 15 minutes.

Serve warm with clotted cream and jam.

**************************

Since I am going to spent the whole day there, I also baked some Swedish Visiting Cake to bring along.

To save my muscle from developing further into a bigger sack. I actually used a mixer to beat into ribbon stage as the recipe called for and I did use my spatula to fold in the melted butter as I didn't want to over mixed it.

Like what Little Teochew mentioned, this cake is so easy to prepare, ridiculously aromatic and utterly delectable. Hubby was actually surprised that I managed to churn out these little cuties so fast.

I don't know whether it is the beating or the heat from my oven. My cuppies roses much more than what was mentioned. It didn't have a nice flat top at all. Nevertheless, this recipe is definitely a keeper.

Verdict: It is soft and yet has this crusty “shell”. I love the lemon zest that comes with it and my friend gives a thumb up to it.

Photobucket

What you need:

208g castor sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
138g all-purpose flour
114g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
30g sliced almonds (blanched or not)

Method:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (about 175 degrees celsius). Greased the muffin tray.

Pour the sugar into a medium bowl. Add the zest and blend the zest and sugar together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and aromatic. (I really love this step)

Whisk in the eggs one at a time until well blended.

Whisk in the salt and the extracts.

Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in the flour.

Finally, fold in the melted butter.

Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.

Scatter the sliced almonds over the top and sprinkle with a little sugar.

Bake the cake for 15 - 20 mins or till golden brown and a little crisp on the outside; the inside will remain moist.

Remove the pan from the oven and let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then run a thin knife around the sides and bottom of the cake to loosen it.

You can serve the cake warm or cooled, directly from the skillet or turned out onto a serving plate.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. Errrr.. Little teochew didn't whack her eggs to ribbon stage.
    It's just blending everything together, maybe that's why hers is flat and yours is domed.
    I was intrigued by her cake as I told her this morning, the crumb is fine, and yet there was no leavening and nothing is beaten fluffy.

    But anyway, I think yours will be fluffy right, I prefer fluffy than dense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that the reason why Little Teochew's ones are flat? Mine was fluffy and it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly resist fluffy scones. I can just have it anytime. I like your muffins as it's risen so well. Give it a good look before biting it haha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Wendy. Sometimes, cooking with eggs can be very intriguing. For example, when making pancakes, I go to the extent to separate the egg white from the yolk and whip the whites to stiff peak and then fold it back into the yolk batter. The resulting pancake is a lot fluffier and has height due to the volume of the egg whites. I too prefer fluffy cakes rather than dense cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Edith! :) Wendy is absolutely right ... you're not supposed to beat the eggs to ribbon stage. That's why it's a flat, low cake that is extremely quick to make. Having said that, beating the eggs to ribbon stage makes your cake look so PRINCESS-Y!!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geesh, I don't know how on earth I saw the word ribbon stage. Goodness me. I really needed that new pair of glasses. LOLz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, still searching for the perfect scone? :) Let me know when u do!

    Love that cake btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geesh, I don't know how on earth I saw the word ribbon stage. Goodness me. I really needed that new pair of glasses. LOLz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hardly resist fluffy scones. I can just have it anytime. I like your muffins as it's risen so well. Give it a good look before biting it haha..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin